Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens Cleaners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Lens Cleaners Reply with quote

I had a friend that does camera repairs recommend a cleaner called R.O.R. Has anyone here used it? Supposedly he started using it after a some repair companies suggested it and that it's supposed to be the best on the market.
http://www.ror.net/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be similar to Opticlean which is a clear liquid that is painted onto the glass and allowed to cure. The liquid then forms a skin that you peel off thus removing contaminants.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be very careful with those things. Some coating layers (e.g. that of the Jupiter-37) are very thin and very easily damaged even by simple cloth actions, let alone by peeling films.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not like Opticlean. It's a liquid and gets the residual oils and contaminants off that other solutions wont.
I talked with a Canon rep today and he said their techs use it and recommend using it once every 6 months- no more, no less. They also claim that you should gain 1/4 to 1/2 stop on metering because it's so good.
I think I am going to give it a shot on cheap glass first.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shad309 wrote:
They also claim that you should gain 1/4 to 1/2 stop on metering because it's so good.

hm... well, I am not a technician, but this sentence really sounds to me quite absurd.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I want to see the results for myself. The reason they state that is contaminants and residual oils are deposited on the glass and the removal increases the light that is able to enter the lens.
I did a little digging on the net and found many people giving the same claim. Once I have tested this myself, I will post the results. I will give metering examples under same lighting conditions etc.... and see what happens.

But then again some people say to use Vodka and get great results too Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the R.O.R. for a while now. It works quite well for removing the residual oils from a lens - however, it does leave a slight film of its own after cleaning, which I remove using an alcohol based lens cleaner. It seems that the R.O.R. is a detergent based, which would account for the film.

I don't know about the claim of a 1/4 to 1/2 stop difference after cleaning. The cameras I've used it on were mostly thrift shop purchases, often with decades worth of accumulated gunk and grime on them, and the R.O.R. did an excellent job in cleaning them. On these cameras, the difference wasn't a mere 1/4 to 1/2 stop - it was probably closer to 4 or 5 stops... Laughing

I don't use R.O.R. as my regular cleaner because of the film it leaves, but I do use it occasionally (maybe once a year or so) for cleaning, as it seems to do an excellent job.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you here Ken!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, I agree. The lens should be REALLY dirty to get 1/2 or 1/4 gain after cleaning. Shocked

I, personally, use zippo lighter fuel. I am satisfied with the results.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the ROR website:
Quote:
When I first started using it on customers' lenses and filters, after receiving their repaired lenses they would call to say that I had forgotten to "return the filter" or "didn't put the front lens element back in." I explained that everything was indeed intact and that they should look closer -- the lenses and filters were so clean that the customers couldn't see them!

More absurd marketing lies. ROR may be alright for removing oils/grease but even a 1 stop gain is absurd, that would be twice the light. Customers thinking the front lens element is missing? come on Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naplam,
I agree 110%. Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naplam wrote:
From the ROR website:
Quote:
When I first started using it on customers' lenses and filters, after receiving their repaired lenses they would call to say that I had forgotten to "return the filter" or "didn't put the front lens element back in." I explained that everything was indeed intact and that they should look closer -- the lenses and filters were so clean that the customers couldn't see them!

More absurd marketing lies. ROR may be alright for removing oils/grease but even a 1 stop gain is absurd, that would be twice the light. Customers thinking the front lens element is missing? come on Laughing Laughing Laughing

Indeed - they do themselves no favours by including such b*ll*cks - totally blows their credibility out of the water.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to www.promaster.com then to accessories from the left side menu and choose cleaning supplies. I use theirs Optic Cleaner and didn't recognize yet any damage to the lens coating Cool . However there is an information (small print) to avoid use it on contact lenses. In Chicago area -Helix Camera (Chicago, Highland Park) 2 fl oz costs $3.99 retail