Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiev 300mm f2.8 (Nikon mount) -any experience?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Kiev 300mm f2.8 (Nikon mount) -any experience? Reply with quote

Just been offered one of these for ?150 - used but good optics - is this a good lens?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have one lens in this focal length with this aperture , but name is different. I heard less good than other 300mm f2.8 lens, but 150 GBP doesn't seems much for a try.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Atilla. Here's a picture - do you recognise it?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Kiev MC Yashmar 300mm f2.8 Reply with quote

Only one 300mm f2.8 Russian lens available. I never seen personally.

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00B9S8

I found this read in Google.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - bought it - fingers crossed it's a good one! Thanks for your help, Attilla Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you made a really good deal. Congrats! I look forward your report!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's around half what those Yashma's normally go for. Congratulations I look forward to the results. If I recall it's an APO. Could be good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here it is:

And here's what it can do at f2.8 (handheld - I have big arm muscles now!)

Results: Surprisingly easy to manage without a tripod; a bit soft at f2.8 as can be expected; strong chromatic aberation with backlit subjects - a good buy if you want f2.8 and not f4.5.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it be possible to have some hi res pictures ?

Thoses sample look fine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good but I'm not sure it's worth the 5-600 USD price tag it regularly seems to be advertised for.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find higher-res samples on my Flickr stream:

http://flickr.com/photos/puplet/2332505755/sizes/o/in/photostream/

I think was a bit hopeful with 100ASA. The high-res versions show a little bit of camera shake still - maybe 200ASA and 1/1000s would have been better.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look like a very nice lens and F2.8 is useful
You have a nice cat!
Small dof @ 2.8 Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hi_res samples. Looking at those it's better than I thought. Seems to be slightly better than the non-ed Nikkor 4.5. Certainly a very good deal at the price you paid.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good lens and I confirm that I want to steal you cat Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, cats are showing up in all sorts of threads. Looks like a nice lens. 2.8 at that length is quite something.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cats forever! I might try and find a lenshood for this lens - but have no idea where to find one big enough - any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puplet wrote:
Cats forever! I might try and find a lenshood for this lens - but have no idea where to find one big enough - any ideas?

Sure, how much do you need? Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: photo infos Reply with quote

great work, can you give me the details about the picture?
aperture, distance, light conditions, and any other you think can be interesting like : the original format (jpeg, RAW, ?), did you retouch or resize the picture with some photoshop, nikon capture?
thanks a lot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to aboard Julio!

@Dave Shocked Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, Shot in RAW developed into JPEG in Lightroom. I think I may have tweaked colour temperature, saturation, vibrance. I do this to every photo I take so, when I test a lens, I'm only interested in what my final picture will look like, not what it looks like straight out of camera. Not very scientific - but, hey, my lens Smile

@Dave - I might try and find a flower-pot...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: picture infos Reply with quote

Thanks Attila for the welcome, my first time ever here, I arrived to this great site following the Asat Yashna 300 trail....there isn't almost anything about this lens in the net!!...I am surprised that a lens that can give results like these, doesn't have any review....
I was born, in a photographic way, in the far 1975 with a Zenit, and, for economic motivation I was shoot in B?W and print my photo in my garage...then Nikon film, then nothing for a lot of years, I live in the hot and wet tropic, not a great place for film, then the rise of digital with some small Sony, waiting for something from Nikon that could be at the level of the old film, without having to sell the house for to buy it, right now I am the happy owner of a D300, and I sleep with her, I admit....
Here around Nature is at its best and I am looking for a telephoto that permit me to shot some great moment of animal life without to have to sell the house again, and that's why I am here...I really would to have all the detail of the pictures of Puplet, because I am very scientific in the choice of the right lens, having to deal with budget, budget, budget....

hey Puplet do you have any other picture to show us?
I will thanks your for the rest of my life for that, and for the related, scientific infos of them.....

thanks a lot for your work, hope to be able to return this favor, one day....

bests

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great Soviet lens, the Dinar-4, a 300mm telephoto with an incredible F/1.8 aperture:

Or the Helios-68 a 200mm F/1.5 telephoto:

I want one NOW!!!

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I a afraid they made in a manufacture not more in 10 copies...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puplet wrote:

@Dave - I might try and find a flower-pot...

I have damp-proof course black plastic which I use to make temporary lens hoods with - it's in a roll about 25m long, about 150mm wide. Like this stuff...
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;jsessionid=2LQ0T1VQLPYLYCSTHZOCFFA?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=damp+proof+course

You can pick it up at any building supply store quite cheaply and it provides enough material for years of lens hoods Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz, what kind of mounts are those?
They look so sweet.