Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Jupiter-9 (85/2), review + image
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Jupiter-9 (85/2), review + image Reply with quote

review:

The Russian clon of CZ Sonnar 85/2 !

Lens soft and it is very good for portraits!

Diaphragm always the round (many-petaled)!

Beautiful drawing and soft plastic bohe!

I used old "white" version ($20):

image:

my full-size photo you can see here:

http://oly43club.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=53

OLYMPUS E-330 + Jupiter-9 (85/2)

all f/2 , resize

f/2.8

f/4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set of portraits!

I love the pose in #6 - wow what a silhouette of perfect physical fitness, it will make most women become green of envy - and the background works great with it

I also love the informality of #4, but I think it would work better in black & white (the colour cast is a bit on the heavy side)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Again, some kind of reconfirmation. You can get a soft focus effect and nice bokeh as long as you keep away any highlight in the ooF area.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this lens very difficult to use on the Oly 300 without focus confirmation. I will try it out again on my new 40D with focus confirm when the weather allows and hope I can do half as well as these shots! Looks like an almost ideal lens for portraits. Good point Carsten and I shall keep that in mind.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great portraits. You really were able to capture some wonderful expressions from your models.

On a little side-note...I'm not quite sure if you should be using those pictures of the lenses themselves. They are from the m42 lens list site and unless you are Denis Oliver (and I will be very embarrassed if you are) or have gotten permission...than it is copyright infringement. It just might become an issue for the administrators of different sites and I would hate to see that happen.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, I must give mine a proper try, I've only taken a couple of shots with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for nice samples at f2
I didn't use mine to much and I have to check it again
At f2 I had flare in a restaurant but at f5.6 it really shine
have to try it more on my wife Mr. Green ( it is the reason I buy this jup)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

I'm loving mine - both the lens and the lady Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cracking pics and some lovely models. The focus is a bit front-ish on the first brunette's head shot, giving a sharp tip of the nose and slightly oof eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very happy to see those photos here, because it shows how usable my favourite lens is for portraits. They are fantastic, thanks for sharing.

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Nice set of portraits!

I love the pose in #6 - wow what a silhouette of perfect physical fitness, it will make most women become green of envy - and the background works great with it

I also love the informality of #4, but I think it would work better in black & white (the colour cast is a bit on the heavy side)

Thanks )

It agree About BW #4, but here I show photo "As shot", only resize!

LucisPictor wrote:
Nice set of portraits!

Again, some kind of reconfirmation. You can get a soft focus effect and nice bokeh as long as you keep away any highlight in the ooF area.

Thanks )

patrickh wrote:
Nice set of portraits!
I found this lens very difficult to use on the Oly 300 without focus confirmation. I will try it out again on my new 40D with focus confirm when the weather allows and hope I can do half as well as these shots! Looks like an almost ideal lens for portraits. Good point Carsten and I shall keep that in mind.

Now I Always make photo with a dandelion (AF/IS emulator for OLYMPUS)!

AF-confirm with manual lens Works very precisely.

read more: http://oly43club.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=229

themoleman342 wrote:
great portraits. You really were able to capture some wonderful expressions from your models.

Thanks )

Richard_D wrote:

Thanks )

My opinion "black" versions worse than old "white" Wink

Farside wrote:
Some cracking pics and some lovely models. The focus is a bit front-ish on the first brunette's head shot, giving a sharp tip of the nose and slightly oof eyes.

Thanks!

However focus gradient junctions...

Borges wrote:
I'm very happy to see those photos here, because it shows how usable my favourite lens is for portraits. They are fantastic, thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

I want to buy CZ Sonnar 85/2 ($100), it more sharp than Jupiter-9, but I love my soft Jupiter-9 Wink

f/2