Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Identify a lens-mount on my manual focus Soligor?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
The interchangeable mount looks a lot like Adaptall, but I don't believe it is compatible.
This lens certainly wasn't made by by Tamron.
Tamron never licensed the Adaptall system to anyone else that I know of.

It wouldn't hurt to try an Adaptall on it, just in case, if you have one handy.

It is not Adaptall mount. I think this kind of mount was discussed here recently but I can't remember the name of the lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been incredibly fun! I've learned more about lens-mount systems with this one query than I ever imagined. Great stuff!
Thanks, guys!
don

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Hi Michael,

What you have there looks like Minolta.
Minolta has the cutout close to the edge of the lug, Konica is more centered.
Also look at the position of the aperture actuating lever. On Minoltas it is opposite the lug with the cutout. On Konics its to the side.

Ah yes, the hazards of using Google "Images." There's no guarantee that, even though I enter a search string for Konica, the images displayed will be for Konicas.

So the lens whose mount I was trying to identify last week must have been a K/AR, I suppose. Could've sworn I looked at Konica mounts, though. Then again, I was using Google "images," and might not have been looking at what I thought I was looking at.

Thanks for the clarification.

As for that old Soligor beast, I'm curious how well it performs. I've never seen that model zoom before.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's an early variant of the Tamron system? The styling of the lens is the same as a Soligor zoom I had that was identified as a Tamron, although maybe that indicates Soligor specified the styling, rather than a commonality of manufacturer?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, This lens is an incredible lens. Takes very sharp photos, with very little vignetting or distortion. Can only see distortion at high enlargement rates. I have used it extensively for birds and wildlife. (adapting to fit my D300). It is NOT a "beginner's" lens to use this way...takes some work and lots of know-how. Manual focus & Manual metering...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a load of info on this Soligor here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/what-do-you-think-about-soligor-120-600-t25488.html

Boomer was less complimentary about how good it was.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting read from Boomer... It's true that the 130-650 is just not as good as newer lenses...that's the technology of the era coming through. So our evaluations are relative. However, ANY lens this long, and with this many elements MUST be on a tripod to get sharp shots. There are definitely much better lenses out there today. No doubt.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had any of this mount in my hands, so I can't say to what degree it copies the Tamron Adaptall system.
It LOOKS much like Adaptall on the lens side is all I can say.

I doubt this was an early version of Adaptall as the lenses this system was used on post-dated the introduction of Adaptall.
This lens is not seen until the late 1970's and was cataloged until the early 1980's, probably dying off about when Sun got out of the business.

Adaptall came i n in the early 1970's, when Sun was selling an entirely different line of lenses, many with the YS system.

As for cosmetics, AFAIK the Tamrons with sort-of similar styling to late Sun/Soligor C/D were the F-series fixed mounts. There is some argument that these weren't actually made by Tamron and were a low-cost bought-in line to use the Tamron branding.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I saw that adapter before. I did! I did!

Soligor U/S Mount for P/K:

Instructions for Soligor U/S Interchangeable Mount:

Instructions for Soligor U/S Interchangeable Mount

Soligor lens with a U/S Mount for Nikon:

still looking for these...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the mount that Boomer shows too.

Luis, Boomer gives 1982 as the date of the 130-650. The Soligor I had that looked similar was a 4/70-150 with fixed mount, a pretty good lens, I was surprised how it performed, I expected it to be poor but it was more than acceptable.

I doubt anyone has ever tried to use this lens without a tripod, that would just be stupid and would need arms like the Hulk probably.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I am a bit silly so don't put that past me should I ever find one of these things !

Actually, I have a lens coming in soon that is probably even harder to use hand held -Kawanon 800/8 preset.
And of course I will give that a try.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks !
That's it exactly
Soligor (or Sun?) U/S
Most unlikely to be able to find one loose like this.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, handholding an 800mm, you must have a better back than I have, makes mine ache even thinking about it!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back is not a problem.
Its all in the stance. Try to get the shoulder up under your cheek.
Its not all that much unlike shooting an M1 Garand off-hand.
Its actually lighter. A lot of us have spent some time in our lives carrying that monster around all day.
Those rifle-stock devices seem like a pretty good idea actually.

The really big problem is the focus grip is on the wrong side of the point of balance.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happyshutter wrote:
I looked up K/AR, and it is definitely a Konica AutoFocus mount.

Don

Hi Don, Just one little detail: There never was a Konica autofocus mount. Konica got out of the SLR business in 1988 and never made the transition to an autofocus SLR mount. In the symbol "K/AR", "AR" stands for Auro-Reflex, the mount Konica introduced in 1965 and which served it till 1988. In literature or on some third-party lenses, this mount is sometimes referred to as "KII", "Konica II", or "K/A". Most Hexanon lenses from 1970 on are called "Hexanon AR" btw, which is also a reference to the mount.
Just as an aside, the AR mount was Konica's second; the first (1960-1965) was called the "K/F", "KII", or "Konica I", depending on source.
jj

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konicamera,
You are correct. I meant to say Konica AUTO REFLEX. I just got to typing too fast... my apologies!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Its actually lighter. A lot of us have spent some time in our lives carrying that monster around all day.

The really big problem is the focus grip is on the wrong side of the point of balance.

Why make things so hard on yourself? Carry a monopod. I have a compact Gitzo with ball head that works great for something like this. Small and light, yet plenty sturdy enough to handle my 500mm f/5.6 with 2x teleconverter attached.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

I've never hefted a Garand, Lee-Enfields in my Army Cadets days, yes, and I used to own a deactivated Kar-98K that I rescued from a local museum when it closed down, but that's a small and light thing really.

Look forward to you 800mm samples, I'm intrigued. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully loaded with a clip of ammo and the cleaning kit, the Garand weighed just a bit over 11 lb. Not light. The Enfield No 1 Mk III, by comparison, weighed just a bit over 8 lb. Dunno about the K-98, but I would guess it's pretty close to the Enfield, maybe a bit lighter given that it carries five rounds less ammo than the Enfield.

A rifle-stock adapter for that 800mm is actually a pretty good idea. Especially if you're a good off-hand shooter. Still, I would prefer a monopod, since it supports the system perpendicular to its axis, thus virtually cancelling out movement.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Garand is a big heavy thing, but so many people swear by 'em they must be good. The Enfields I used were .22 training conversions of late model No. 4s, although I did get to fire pukka .303 but only as blanks and frangibles, which takes the fun out of it really. The 98K I had was probably about 6.5 lbs, the barrel on the 98K is short K=Kurz, which is German for short and as you say, it's only got a 5 round capacity. Mine was a 1943 and had a pale wood stock that was a lighter wood than you usually see on rifles, not sure what wood it was, not pine, which would be too weak, but not a heavy hard wood. I wish I still had it but I got a very good price offered to me so it went, barrel had a plug welded in it so it was only a wall hanger.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a photo of the whole Soligor 130-650mm kit -- with the front of the manual. Sorry! It flipped sideways, and I don't know how to flip it upright. [img][/img]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's this:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PERFECT! THANKS!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I love it when the drainpipes come out. Smile