Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios-40 autumn paintings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Helios-40 autumn paintings Reply with quote

I like these creative effects prduced by the Helios-40.
This is the preset alu version, mounted on the 5D².
Photographed in late afternoon.

as usual, click the pictures to open in wider format.

1-

2-

3-

4-

5-

6-

7-

8-

9-

10-

for Moîra's grand-ma.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a killer lens. One is never quite sure what is going to come out of it. Some results are to die for, others to kill for. But always, always a surprise.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Olivier
I know she will love them...I love 5,8,9...That was very kind of you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely images (despite the lack of crazy swirls).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

martinsmith99 wrote:
Lovely images (despite the lack of crazy swirls).

Laughing
I don't know how to make them appear... Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is the non swirly rare version Wink Monet instead of Van Gogh?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really surprising results ! Your copy of that lens seems to render differently to mine. Each photograph seems to have a little gloom to it ... like esp. #2.

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series Olivier. I got this same results from my aluminium copies (used to have three, in different periods. Now I have one from 1961, my birth year) Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A non swirly rare lens ? Smile
Maybe... Wink

Tobbias, thank you.
About #2, this flower bush was into the falling sunlight at the end of the afternoon and there was alternance of light and shadow. That surely helps the photo rendering.

Orio, thanks a lot Very Happy

About the lens, I got it with the help of a good polish friend aka Wariag on this forum. It's a long time since I saw his pertinent comments around here.
Here is my lens :

I made a comparison with the Steinheil Quinar alu version 2.8/135mm and the Angenieux 2.5-3.3/35-70mm. I love these other great lenses too.
Helios-40
http://forum.mflenses.com/hellebore-and-helios-40-1-5-85mm-t26317,highlight,helios40.html
Steinheil Quinar
http://forum.mflenses.com/hellebore-with-steinheil-quinar-2-8-135mm-t26330,highlight,helios40.html
Angenieux
http://forum.mflenses.com/hellebore-and-angenieux-35-70mm-f2-5-3-3-t26333,highlight,helios40.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Maybe this is the non swirly rare version Wink Monet instead of Van Gogh?

About Monet :
http://www.monet2010.com/

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same lens and the same leather container/filters. I find that the "swirlies" show up almost at random.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I find that the "swirlies" show up almost at random.

I actually find the swirl type bokeh quite easily controllable. Wide open to f2.8 at middle focus distance will give you the effect. Should there be highlights, this will accentuate the swirl, but they are not necessary. Background certainly helps though. Also, at wide open the helios has a significant resolution drop-off at the edges. This will give an emphasis to a centrally located subject and lend to a swirl "feel"; sort of a tunnel vision.

Because these shots are at minimum or close to minimum focus distance the swirl is a hard effect to get.