Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

H Code Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was the same one as I'd seen before but wasn't sure. How is the IQ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
No, it's not Miranda mount it's a M39 / T2 mount lens.

Thank You for reposting the pictures. I made an error in my earlier post. I said late 60's to early 70's Tokina. To be more presise, the number code version of this lens is mostly seen fron 1969-1971. Your lens is earlier. I would guess mid 60's?

I didn't have a pic of a 135mm lens, but here is the 105 2.8 Tokina.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 100/4 Tokina is a pretty darn fine lens I think.

Or its a lucky lens, maybe.

http://forum.mflenses.com/palinar-tokina-100-4-m42-preset-the-smallest-tokina-t11952,highlight,%2Bpalinar.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a couple of pics of my Soligor 100-200 f5.6 zoom. It's a H Code lens. Older style Soligor writing like Lloydy's M code lens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the newer version of the Soligor 100-200/5.6 push-pull zoom and it had a Kino serial i.e. 96xxxxx. Presuming this is the same lens, it looks like Kino had H lenses too!

Pictures and samples towards the bottom of this thread:

http://forum.mflenses.com/the-big-soligor-thread-t33736,start,30.html

Nice swirly bokeh!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hare brained theory... Perhaps "H" signifies the trading co. that sold these lenses to the marketing organizations. The Japanese binocular industry had a standard set of markings that signified the manufacturer, maybe this was a similar effort.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did wonder if the H stood for Hanimex...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe somebody should write one of the still existing companies and ask what the significance of the H was in their serial numbers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further confusion.......

Today I saw another Soligor, italic script - T2 / M39 35mm f3.5 lens that had a number starting with 'KA'

It was attached to a Zenit B and both were in very good condition, it was in a charity shop at £20, the guy came down to £15.
But I resisted, firstly I've got 3 Zenits already, and secondly, the Soligor was the same as the ill fated Prinz Galaxy 35mm lenst that was going to be the crap lens challenge lens until I superglued it into a solid lump ! It's a crap lens whether it's Soligor or Prinz.

But the Soligor KA number intrigued me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing new here, but I thought I would throw in a few Soligors (and a Hanimex) for good measure!

Here we see:

1) 400mm f/6.3 Soligor Tele-Auto No. 17104201
2) 100mm f/4 Hanimex Tele Lens No. H36446
3) 35mm f/2.8 Soligor M197455

Hope this helps solve the mystery!

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Further confusion.......

Today I saw another Soligor, italic script - T2 / M39 35mm f3.5 lens that had a number starting with 'KA'

It was attached to a Zenit B and both were in very good condition, it was in a charity shop at £20, the guy came down to £15.
But I resisted, firstly I've got 3 Zenits already, and secondly, the Soligor was the same as the ill fated Prinz Galaxy 35mm lenst that was going to be the crap lens challenge lens until I superglued it into a solid lump ! It's a crap lens whether it's Soligor or Prinz.

But the Soligor KA number intrigued me.

I might have a picture of a Soligor KA code lens. If I do I will post it. I really need to organize my pictures better.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
Nothing new here, but I thought I would throw in a few Soligors (and a Hanimex) for good measure!

Here we see:

1) 400mm f/6.3 Soligor Tele-Auto No. 17104201
2) 100mm f/4 Hanimex Tele Lens No. H36446
3) 35mm f/2.8 Soligor M197455

Hope this helps solve the mystery!

Paul

Thanks Paul. All 3 are Tokina made. I really need to get me a copy of the 100 f4, that's one I don't have yet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the 100/4 -

These may not have made it to the US very often.
I found mine in UK ebay years ago, "Palinar" brand. I have seen them also as Hanimex.
UK may be a good place to look.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
For the 100/4 -

I found mine in UK ebay years ago, "Palinar" brand. I have seen them also as Hanimex.

Thank You, I will keep an eye on Ebay UK.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
For the 100/4 -

Yes, seems common here, there is a Palinar (which I am currently the high bidder on) and a Hanimex listed atm, there might be others that I haven't spotted as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help, Walt, and thanks for manufacturer info. I just picked up the Hanimex for $21.00 US(incl shipping) off of EBay in Exakta mount. The seller was from Illinois - near Chicago in the US. I haven't had time to test it, but I am extremely impressed by the samples which have been showcased here.

Here is the EBay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/120769998388?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_922

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an original Sun preset 35mm with the H code, just seen on ebay:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Here's an original Sun preset 35mm with the H code, just seen on ebay:

Very Cool. That's the first one I've seen.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just going to go to bed as its 01:17am

But I thought I would make a post here, to let people know what I have been up to. I have been trying to break the code with the letters in lens serial numbers and I have some development which may bring us one step closer to understanding what the letters mean in the serial numbers of 1950's -60's Japanese pre-set lenses.

I have been messaging luisalegria, with updates and also trying to work out a way we could catalogue some of these lenses better in one section of the forum. I have suggested making a thread titled 1950-60's Japanese pre-sets, where forum members could post their lenses and any other relevant information, and hopefully make it a sticky. luisalegria suggested a couple forum threads each titled by manufacturer of such lenses. Maybe some ideas from you guy's about this would be good.

OK now the best bit, I have been indirectly in touch with Charles Strasser via email, Charles was the founder of Photopia Ltd. here in the UK. I know some of you know who he is and anyone who don't can look here: http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Photopia_history.html

I asked him about the serial numbers and offered my thoughts as to how the system worked. Charles own brand of "Palinar" lenses all started with the serial number ST. I asked him if this was related to his surname which he confirmed was, as he was generally known in the Japanese photo industry as "Strasser San". Charles also confirmed that it was indeed Tokyo Koki who made his lenses. He also mentions that Tokyo Koki used a lot of different export agents in the early years, as did most small Japanese makers who did not have their own export departments. This I believe may hold the key to why different companies had the same letters at the start of their serial numbers. I did ask Charles but he was unsure why Soligor, Hanimex and others shared the letter H in their serial numbers.

I am aware that there was also a letter M used by different companies and no doubt others letters or sets of letters, and my thoughts now are that each letter refers to an export agent where as pairs of letters are the first name/surname/company name of the company/person placing the order directly.

I also have quite a lot of sales catalogues to collect at the weekend and scans of adverts which Maurice Fisher kindly sent to me which I will add to the new thread.

Right I must get off to bed! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@walter Here is one on ebay now. Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do probably want to have a sticky or several with some firm information on the origins of third party Japanese lenses. There is an awful lot of information drifting around here that would best be in one place.

How about by manufacturer ?
We would have entries by known models with pictures of various examples and variants, with known merchants brands, etc.
As additional types are identified then could be added.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to create and maintain a sticky with this info. What will the key manufacturer headers be? I was thinking:

Tokyo Koki (Tokina)
Kino Precision
Komine
Sun
Sankor
kawanon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a good idea and am happy to contribute to such threads.

I am not 100% sure where some of my lenses fall with regards to original manufacture but I am sure by posting them up for identification first would be a good idea.

I will over the next couple of days start photographing, scanning and gather information to post.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnaby, Good detective work. "H" may then indicate Hansa, an active photo products distributor through the 60s and 70s.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you casualcollector, it was really bugging me as to the reason and I could tell you guy's needed to know also. Luckily I was pointed in the right direction by two people who have been in the industry for most of their lives, but the biggest helper was Maurice Fisher who is the author of the photomemorabilia website, without his help and this puzzle may never of been solved.

When will the Sticky threads be created?