Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Palinar (Tokina?) 100/4 M42 preset - the smallest Tokina ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Palinar (Tokina?) 100/4 M42 preset - the smallest Tokina ? Reply with quote

This odd, tiny lens came with a batch from the UK. I believe that "Palinar" is a British merchants brand.

I thought that it might be another in the rare Fujita 35mm SLR series, but it isn't, which is a little disappointing. It is actually a little larger than the miniature Fujita 135. I think it is a Tokina, or its predecessor, as it bears a strong family resemblance to that line -

Palinar 100/4, Sears 135/3.5, Lentar 200/4.5

These are all I think 1960's Tokinas, or Tokyo Koki lenses. This was an extremely widely distributed, almost ubiquitous series, almost everybody sold them. Even Yashica used them for their entire add-on lens line for their first M42 SLR's. Many of these, usually the 200 and 300mm's, are always available on ebay.

This lens, however, is rather more rare. I have seen it sold as a Hanimex as well, and no doubt some other dealers brands may show up, but it is by no means easy to find. It is a fixed mount, not a t-mount, and I have seen it in Canonflex (early Canon FD) and Minolta. This one in fact is the first one in M42 I have seen for sale.

This one is not in perfect condition. Someone has been attacking it with a screwdriver, and the aperture and distance scales are out of alignment with each other and with the camera mount, and because of some stripped screw heads I am hesitating about fixing this. This is just cosmetic damage though, as the lens works perfectly. It focuses OK to infinity, and down to 5ft/1.5m, stops down properly, and what else can you ask of a preset lens anyway ?

As for performance - well, my unscientific opinion is that this is an very sharp lens, at least in close-ups. It is as sharp at f/4 as at f/8 or f/11. It has loads of contrast, though some of my subjects may look washed out due to flat overcast lighting.

Mostly at f/4 -

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis
You should probably be banned Smile Smile Smile Another extraordinary noname lens looking like a masterpiece. A word of advice - do not let girls near horses, they want to ride them and then it costs a fortune!

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI LUIS!!!

Very good lens. All the pics are nice. But the N° 5 WOW!!!

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks great Luis.
The light in some of these is truly lovely.
Also your sons Portrait is a lifetime keeper. Congrats on that one.

I sure enjoy these presentations from you.
Very professional and comprehensive.

Kudos Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks nice.

Luis, you da' magician! Any lens you handles looks great!

Actually this petit lens looks quite nice, I mean the photos it creates.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUIS!!! Why do you do this torture to us Smile ?

again, again, again -- never-ever-ending story!!! Smile,
endless ocean of your GREAT examples with VARIOUS lenses --

SUPERB, no comment... and THANKS for SHARING Smile !

tf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this!
Finally, I find some information about my Hanimex 4/100.

And indeed, this lens is much better than you might expect!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis, I have bad news for you.
Representatives of Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus, Zeiss and Leica have just contacted me. They want to prevent you posting your pictures on this forum. On ANY forum. Because you make pictures with $10 lenses, that put their super lenses results to shame.

Jokes aside - a terrific series. You really should work as smaple pictures maker for a lens company. If there's someone able to bring out the best from any lens, this is you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Luis
You should probably be banned Smile Smile Smile Another extraordinary noname lens looking like a masterpiece. A word of advice - do not let girls near horses, they want to ride them and then it costs a fortune!

patrickh

+1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
patrickh wrote:
Luis

patrickh

+1

Add another 1 ... The bird picture is great ...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing results as usual!

I think Luis could attach a milk bottle to his camera and get good results!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

Awesome pictures!

Your Sears is actually the same as my Tokina I just aquired for 1€ from eBay and the results of this lens let me standing mouth wide open just as your little bugger!

Go on and impress us! Please! I really like your pics!

Karhallarn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wonder of lens and very good photographer too.
Congratulations. Laughing
Not everything new is better, some old people we fight Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Palinar (Tokina?) 100/4 M42 preset - the smallest Tokina Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
This odd, tiny lens came with a batch from the UK. I believe that "Palinar" is a British merchants brand.

This is true, the company responsible for the Palinar branding was Paul Plus, a subsidiary of Photopia Ltd. owned by Charles Gad Strasser OBE. He was a major player here in the UK. An interesting read can be had here; http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Photopia_history.html

Shame they don't mention the Palinar brand. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 and #4 made me laugh aloud, great great pictures! I'm glad I checked this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely images, I really like the one of the gull.