Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Filters and sharpness
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Filters and sharpness Reply with quote

Just found this reprint of an old document which comes up with some surprises...
http://home.c2i.net/jostein.oksne/Utstyr/filters.htm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great article thank your for showing us!I never use filters because I worried about their degrade tha image quality. In storage i also not used that ,because I think they increase the chance to get fungus, but seems I am wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have UV filters on the expensive lenses that I bought new (or those that I bought used but look like new) because they protect my investment.

WHenever I sold a lens and I could say that I kept the UV filter on all the time, and the lens shows that, I can sell much better at the price I want.

I am glad that I had this habit on my autofocus lenses, because I could sell them very well.

Currently like I said I have UV filters only on my expensive lenses that I bought new, or which look like new.

I exclusively use B+W multicoated filters, with the only exception of the Contax multicoated filters because they were designed to work best with Contax lenses.
On my Leica lenses I use exclusively B+W
By using these expensive filters, I am able to use the lenses with the filters on, and not suffer from any loss of definition.

The multicoating on the B+W is better than the multicoating found on most, if not all, lenses.

I am also convinced that, contrary to what the article says, a multicoated B+W can improve the performance of some older lenses that have no coating, or single coating.

On the newer lenses with multicoating, they will do nothing, but they will protect the lens.

Cheap filters are absolutely to avoid, I made a test once comparing a B+W polarizer with a cheap no-brand polarizer.
The difference in the performance was impressive, the B+W blocked reflections better and did not cast any colour on the image. The cheap filter did cast a blueish tonality on the image.
Since then, I decided that I will only use B+W filters, or, no filters.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Orio on this - I too fit filters, and not cheap ones either, to any brand new lenses I get along with whichever of my older glass I consider to be more valuable or just that bit special. Along with an appropriate hood.... Smile

All my Canon AF lenses were fitted with filters right from the off - in the case of two of them, Canon actually recommend that one fit a filter as it completes the sealing against dust and water ingress.

I also prefer to use Hoya filters for Japanese glass and B + W for German - don't ask why.... Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I like to third Orio's and Bob's opinion, could have been my words.

Filters on the expensive lenses but only high quality filters!
When I look at my filter that I have at my Tokina 12-24 (a € 400,- lens) I am happy that all these tiny scratches are not on the front element!

However, when shooting, I sometimes prefer to use lens hoods for protection instead of filters. I hardly shoot without hoods...