Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Discuss this lighting scheme
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Discuss this lighting scheme Reply with quote

How would you reproduce the lighting scheme of this photograph (made by Marion E. Warren) ?

I would think of a strong spotlight placed behind high at the back of the woman, a bit on her left (photo's right)
And a main softbox light in front of her, in central position, and significantly weaker than the back light.

I wonder how there are no light reflections in her pupil.

I love this lighting.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly looks as you described, Orio. This photographer shows a unique "form" and black and white images with depth.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

back on hair, high on our right, further back high up front

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
It certainly looks as you described, Orio. This photographer shows a unique "form" and black and white images with depth.

Ain't that true? That Eiffel tower is magical.
I need to return to Paris. With my Contax IIa and a truck of B&W film.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
back on hair, high on our right, further back high up front

You mean three lights? I am not sure to understand what you mean.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no softboxes in that shot, otherway you'd see different reflections in the glass. It's all hard and hot light, typical of the era btw.

You have two lights here, hair light above the girl's head pointing down and a spot from the right pointing at her hands. there's also probably another backlight (which I can't see reflected in the glasses) pointed at girl's backhead.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
There's no softboxes in that shot, otherway you'd see different reflections in the glass. It's all hard and hot light, typical of the era btw.

You have two lights here, hair light above the girl's head pointing down and a spot from the right pointing at her hands. there's also probably another backlight (which I can't see reflected in the glasses) pointed at girl's backhead.

How about the face? It seems almost evenly lit. Would it be possible if the only frontal light was a spot placed on the right?
Of course the spot on the right would explain why no reflection in the eyes.
But how to lighten the face then? Huge reflector?

If you notice, from the breast going down, it's almost dark.
I believe there must be a lighting of some sort for the front, but I am not able to tell what. Unless it's the same vertical light that is lighting the hair... but in that case, wouldn't we see terrible shadows under the eyebrows and nose?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say there's a fairly un-soft light on each side to top and behind her and a reflective surface in front of the camera and possibly one one the bench.

On the other hand, it could have been done very simply with two lights and a lot of dodging and burning.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in fact the shadow on her chest has a strange shape, that does not make sense anatomically.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the shadow is from a baffle to give a 'weird science' look. Wink

Yes, three direct lights.

The lighting's probably a variation of the cop and the woman next to her in this guide.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
A G Photography wrote:

How about the face? It seems almost evenly lit. Would it be possible if the only frontal light was a spot placed on the right?

I believe there must be a lighting of some sort for the front, but I am not able to tell what. Unless it's the same vertical light that is lighting the hair... but in that case, wouldn't we see terrible shadows under the eyebrows and nose?

The face is not evenly lit. There's a pretty evident reflection of the forehead caused by the spot from the right. Btw, I think the spot used it's a sort of fresnel light, very commonly used in cinema and theatre but also in still life and food (less in portrait nowadays). It is basically a circlular spot, very directional, where you can have a hard spot of light and an outer softer spot of light controlled through a focusing lens (the fresnel lens). This explain how you can have a sudden falloff of light from the breast down. Then probably there are also some reflectors in front to open the shadows.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
Orio wrote:
A G Photography wrote:

The face is not evenly lit. There's a pretty evident reflection of the forehead caused by the spot from the right. Btw, I think the spot used it's a sort of fresnel light, very commonly used in cinema and theatre but also in still life and food (less in portrait nowadays). It is basically a circlular spot, very directional, where you can have a hard spot of light and an outer softer spot of light controlled through a focusing lens (the fresnel lens). This explain how you can have a sudden falloff of light from the breast down. Then probably there are also some reflectors in front to open the shadows.

Thanks !!
I have a lot to learn, I really enjoy all this information.
Where did you learn so much about old lighting schemes?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
A G Photography wrote:
Orio wrote:
A G Photography wrote:

Thanks !!
I have a lot to learn, I really enjoy all this information.
Where did you learn so much about old lighting schemes?

I have a book written by an old Hollywood lightning director, John Alton.