Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax Zeiss 100mm f/2.0... 100 % crops on Canon 5D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Contax Zeiss 100mm f/2.0... 100 % crops on Canon 5D Reply with quote

Per a request in another post, crops from images taken with a Contax Zeiss 100mm f/2.0 on a Canon 5D body handheld. Images just opened in CS2, cropped and saved as jpg at 72 dpi, no processing.

From another picture:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks James. Is your copy AE or MM?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AE, I do believe.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great in details. Now I can't do like you jamesdak.

I have a questions about it. How can we know about AE or MM?

My lens is Mad in West Germany. Is it AE or MM?

Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanX wrote:

I have a questions about it. How can we know about AE or MM?
My lens is Mad in West Germany. Is it AE or MM?
Thanks a lot.

It's very easy. Check the aperture number on the lens. The last number (in case of a Planar 1.4/50 it would be "16") is what will reveal it.
If the last number is white, the lens is AE
If the last number is green, the lens is MM

-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KhanX, the MM have the high aperture in green

Hi James, those crop are first class, difficult to do better

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio, poilu

My Carl Zeiss lens : Planar T* 50mm f1.4, Distagon 18mm f4, and 100mm f2 is AE lens.

Another questions that seem stupid : what is different between AE and MM lens? I'm newbie of Carl Zeiss lens

Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanX wrote:
Thanks Orio, poilu
My Carl Zeiss lens : Planar T* 50mm f1.4, Distagon 18mm f4, and 100mm f2 is AE lens.
Another questions that seem stupid : what is different between AE and MM lens? I'm newbie of Carl Zeiss lens
Thanks a lot.

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers Smile I hope that mine is not! Laughing
MM lenses offer full automation to those Contax and Yashica camera that supports them. This means that you can set the aperture as you like, and the lens will stay wide open for you to focus, in any program you choose, be it automatic, time priority, aperture priority or manual. It will stop down only when you click shutter.
If instead you mount an AE lens on a MM camera body, the camera will automatically switch to aperture mode, the only mode supported by the AE lenses. With manual mode, a AE lens can only be operated stop-down.

But the main difference nowadays between AE and MM lenses is that the MM versions are in several cases, optically improved with regards to older AE versions.
This is the sure case of Distagon 25, Distagon 2.8/28, and Sonnar 2.8/135.
Most probably, but not surely, also the case of Planar 1.4/85. These are the models reported as changed by Zeiss, but Zeiss is used to improving their lenses without giving notice, so it is opinion of many Zeiss experts that many lenses in the MM range have been improved "silently" compared to AE version.
I have verified personally that the aforementioned lenses hav ebeen effectively improved with the MM versions, as I have tried both versions of them all.
I have also compared AE and MM versions of other lenses, such as Sonnar 2.8/85, but I have not been able to ascertain sure differences.
Perhaps some models (like Distagon 1.4/35 and the above mentioned 1.4/85 Planar) are just very slightly sharper in the MM version, but a little less 3D, and are more 3D in the AE version, but a little softer.
So one thing woulc compensate and determine the other.
But we are, really, talking of very subtle shades.
In the practical uses, I have perceived clear improvements only for Distagon 25, Distagon 2.8/28 and Sonnar 2.8/135.

-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for all good knowledge, Orio.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link takes you to a downsized, but large, pano I shot by combining several shots taken with the 100mm

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/87408333

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesdak wrote:
This link takes you to a downsized, but large, pano I shot by combining several shots taken with the 100mm

Wonderful!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James - hat off!
I confess, I have saved your picture on my computer - hope you're not angry for that.

Yes the Planar 200 is perfect for pano shots, because it has nearly ZERO distortion!
Do you remember the F/stop you used for the takes?

-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the landcape was shot at 1/650 at either f/8 or f/11 and in this case was handheld. The horse shots I don't honestly remember but I do know I varied the aperture some since they were sorta test shots.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesdak wrote:

Wow.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesdak wrote:

Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for sharing.

Cheers!

Abbazz