Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax Vario-Sonnar 3.5/40-80
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Contax Vario-Sonnar 3.5/40-80 Reply with quote

I won this lens for a good price. I was curious to compare it with the more famous Vario-Sonnar 35-70.
My impression is that of a good lens - very good for some aspects, so-and-so for other aspects.
I begin to say that there are four main reasons for which the Vario-Sonnar 35-70 is preferable:

- the 35-70 is sharper, noticeably (although the 40-80 is sharp enough)

- the 35-70 is lighter to carry and use

- the 35-70 has macro mode while the 40-80 has an uncomfortable minimum focus distance of 1,2 meters, which, combined with the not very long 80mm maximum focal lenght, forces to use extension tubes to make any real close-ups.

- the 35-70 has minimal distortion, while the 40-80's distortion at 40mm focal lenght is, well, embarassing for a lens with the Zeiss name on it (see picture #41)

Additionally, the 35-70, being much more common to find, is also, often, available for a cheaper price.

The 40-80 however also has some good qualities:

- it has a very pleasant, organic image rendition, especially wide open, that reminds me somehow of the wide open performance of the "Hollywood" Distagon 2/28 (although with more vignetting than the Distagon)
- although not super sharp, it is sharp from wide open just the same as it is stopped down
- it has a constant speed which makes use of studio flashes easier
- it has a very good resistance to flare, not as perfect as the Distagon 1.4/35, but excellent especially considering it's a zoom lens.

The following samples are taken with the EOS 5D Mark II
There is no postwork on the images.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me Orio. But the landscapes are magnificent. I thought the detail closer up was better rendered - looks like one of those "better closer lenses"

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Stunning ,37 Shocked I love 37 because the two trees look like a couple just staring down the valley caught in the light...silly but that's what it looks like to me Rolling Eyes
Thank you for posting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orio,

35,37 39 and all the other, really nice shots and as written before a very nice and calm area.

Was very interesting to read your short review. And for out of the cam the quality is ok. With a little bit PP I believe there is no difference then with "better" lenses.

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yess, agree 37, 39 are brilliant.

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an amazing light that day. 35, 36, 37 are in a short sequence. The sun was peeking out of the clouds and projected godrays over different parts of the landscape, very fast. Like if there was someone with a huge spotlight moving it around.

I have another series with the lens, that probably displays the lens better.
It is a good lens, but if I had to buy one, I would buy the 35-70.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Orio -- there are SOME BEAUTIFUL sceneries !!

The lens is definitely Zeiss glass -- colours are superb..

and 3D look guaranteed!!

thanks for sharing these .

tf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like pic 35, 36 and 37.