Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax Planar 2/135.....Horrible accident
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Contax Planar 2/135.....Horrible accident Reply with quote

I was photographing the Christmas choir today, when my Contax Planar 2/135 fell from a f******* faulty adapter I recently bought from Hong Kong, and fell first on the 5D, then on the ground. I was able to intercept the lens with my foot, which has surely made the impact less violent, but anyway it hit ground on two point of the front barrel edge.
Being built like a tank, the lens still works perfectly, even the focusing ring is as smooth as before. Which says something about how these lenses are built. For a similar incident, my Nikon Series E 2.8/100 had the focusing ring compromised in its action.
The Contax is fully functional and no apparent optical consequence that I can see, but now the lens looks ugly Sad Sad Sad
And the 5D too Sad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that Orio - there's nothing worse than a lens or camera drop, especially when you take care of your gear. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! At least you had good reactions with your foot, Orio! I hope it didn't disfigure the lens too badly. Thankful that it still functions properly.

Merry Christmas to you my friend!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn it! Sorry to hear ! That was my favorite lens from yours, hopefully at least lens survived!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the lenses that I have, this is the one that I would have less wanted to be damaged Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic buttered toast scenario - toast always seems to fall on floor buttered side down.

I feel for you - I know how I'd feel if I dropped my favourite lens or camera.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say any good ...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to test it now to verify if really there is no optical consequence.
There is the option to send the lens to Zeiss for repairs but it costs a fortune. Sad

There is one of these lenses for sale on Ebay now but I'm afraid it will end being too expensive. I placed a bid, but I can't spend much on it. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You able to use without problem, I not expect any other trouble than dented. Let me know result..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am of the impression that it may have lost the sharpness, but I need daylight to make good tests Sad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe relax

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a test now and it seems ok at least in the centre. The last photos I made today were not sharp, and a first test I made now also, but it may have been the combination of the artificial coloured lights and the fact that I have largely misplaced the dioptric control (when is that Canon will make it lockable??)
This second test is better. But I need a daylight scene to test the corners for possible misalignmenet.

I am 100% sure that if it was a plastic AF lens it would be completely useless now.

In any case I'll try to get the Ebay lens, if possible. It means I will have to sell something else.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit! That is the worst thing that can happen to us. I still remember when a shit bag didn't close and my canon 85 1.8 fall out, not big damage but still a dramatic experience. I also had my plannar 100 who didn't lock well but I was lucky it get out when focusing and stay in my hand.
I hope that this accident will not compromise your Christmas. Wish you all the best Orio.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio

That's awful. I do hope your tests show that it is still optically perfect

Try to have a Happy Christmas anyway

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Poilu for your nice words.

No I won't let a lens ruin the Christmas - but it's a sad Christmas for me any case, so... I just hope it goes away quickly.

I would be annoyed however to give up this lens for the Carnival, which is the event that I am waiting for since next year. There is no time to send it to Zeiss and have it back in time. This is the only lens that actually lets me shoot tele with fast times, because it's sharp wide open. In winter light, even just one stop makes the difference if you are shooting moving people.

Advice for you and everyone with a Contax lens: check well your adapters, and throw away those that don't lock well. They will release your lens one day or another. And it may happen with your best lens, as it happened to me.

Another advice which I will try to follow myself: buy metal lens hoods. If I had a metal lens hood on,my lens now would be mint.

Sigh...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to everyone.
I have to make up my mind that it's a lens after all. There are much worse things than that, and there is people less lucky than me who can't afford this lens at all. So I can not be sad for something like that. Life goes on.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh,is 5d workin okay ? Shocked Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

impactcr wrote:

Yes, but now it has a big scar on the pentaprism.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Orio, I'm so sorry to hear about your lens, and it happening today of all days. I think I understand how you feel, although it wasn't my best lens that I dropped - it was a Meyer Orestor 135. Like you I partially caught it and broke its fall, but it dented the metal hood and now, even though the glass was undamaged, I feel this once-perfect lens is now tainted.

You didn't actually say what the superficial damage there is to the lens (or the camera), but it sounds to me that probably the worst damage is to your perception and trust of it and I hope this turns out to be temporary and unfounded.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Oh Orio, I'm so sorry to hear about your lens, and it happening today of all days. I think I understand how you feel, although it wasn't my best lens that I dropped - it was a Meyer Orestor 135. Like you I partially caught it and broke its fall, but it dented the metal hood and now, even though the glass was undamaged, I feel this once-perfect lens is now tainted.
You didn't actually say what the superficial damage there is to the lens (or the camera), but it sounds to me that probably the worst damage is to your perception and trust of it and I hope this turns out to be temporary and unfounded.

The lens has now two big dents on the front rim of the barrel, with several paint loss due to abrasion.
The lens surely looks ugly now.
As for working, I'll have to make tests.

Wish I had a metal hood on. I have a Contax metal hood, but of different thread size, so I can't mount it on this lens.
Well, from now on, I will not be able to mount *any* lens hood on this lens...

Oh I forgot to add, to complete the day... the 400D has developed a problem apparently. Every now and then it does not record the shots taken. I thought it could be the cold temperature, or the adaptor, but I tried here at home with a EF lens and it does the same.
Big annyoment, because I will have to go to the carnival with just one digital camera. This means a lot less good photos.

And finally... the two spare batteries I had with me today, were both exhausted, so I had to quit the camera after only a few shots.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my gosh! This is not nice.
I hope everything turns out well. But remember, it is a Zeiss lens. Imagine that would happen to a modern plastic AF zoom lens - bits and pieces!

I believe that the lens completely survived. It's a Zeiss! And they can take much more than we ever would try with them...

All the best,
Carsten

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
But remember, it is a Zeiss lens.

I do remember Crying or Very sad
Wish it was a AF crapster, to trash lightheartedly.

Well, at the worst, I'll send it to Zeiss for repairs. They will peel my skin off, but they'll get the lens back ok.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the damage is just battle scars. Best wishes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
impactcr wrote:

Yes, but now it has a big scar on the pentaprism.

think of it as a badge of honor Smile

im glad to hear everything is working fine Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get an x-ray on your foot? With the way your luck is running,
I'd stay home for the next few days, move only for bodily functions...

Bill