Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax Planar 2/135.....Horrible accident
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Orio 100km is not so far. I drive twice this for work most days. Certainly you can find some fun in Milan also. You should look into it my friend. After what you have gone thru this week it would be good to treat yourself. Maybe it's not even available but it does not hurt to check.

Consider that the Carnival is held for 4 Sundays over a month.
Now either I rent a camera for one month (which would cost more than buying one new), or I have to go there and back twice a week, which means 400 km each week not to mention the loss of time, traffic stress, and the price of gasoline which in Italy is the highest in the whole European Union.

It's not a viable solution - and i don't even know if they rent at all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when you put it that way. That Contax G2 is sure a nice little shooter isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Well when you put it that way. That Contax G2 is sure a nice little shooter isn't it?

It is. It has some of the finest lenses around. The Planar 2/45 has been defined, by Zeiss itself, as the "sharpest normal lens ever produced for 135 format"
I don't own all of them though, "only" the Sonnar 90, Planar 45 and Biogon 28, which is another amazing lens.

Don't know... if I lose the auction for the Planar 135, then I might buy a 400D before the year end - there is a 70 Euros rebate on it. On a total of 400 Euros it makes a pretty good discount. A camera like the 400D for just 330 Euros is not a bad buy,
I'll see, I have a pretty hard competitor for the Planar 135... a Spanish guy who in the last 15 days has spent a lot of money on Contax lenses, has bought another one today (a Planar 85) for 300 Euros and has already bid on the same Planar I am aiming at. If he keeps bidding this high I will not be able to win the lens.

-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a G1 with the 45 f2 Planar and the 90 also. I think that statements about the 45 being the sharpest ever for 35mm maybe true. I sold my kit because it was not being used. I have many fully manual range-finders that would be picked up for a day before the G (mostly for nostalgia, I like old cameras best) . It is a very nice compact system. It seems a perfect companion to a digital reflex system.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. I updated the 400D firmware to version 1.1.1, and as far as I could test now, it seems to have fixed the recording problem.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good! Perhaps the internal (old) firmware was faulty.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, it's seems like a good idea to "re-boot" these cameras every once in a while. Most cameras have firm ware updates from time to time. Often they are for problems that are seldom encountered. I hope this is the end of your troubles with this issue.

Andy Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made another test, a burst of shots using a manual lens with adapter this time, and same as before, not one error.
Strange. I am very happy of this because I love my 400D. But being a curious person, I would like to know the reason why the firmware update fixed this problem, not just welcome the fact it did.

The most logical cause I could think for the problem (card contacts faulty in the camera) can not be fixed by firmware.
Can't them?

And if it was firmware, why it has worked flawlessly for more than one year, then suddenly developed this problem?

-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's only bits and bytes, right?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Question
I don't understand.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Computer data Orio - but not quite as simple as that.

All it takes is for one bit to be wrong and everything falls apart as Attila can no doubt testify.

Orio wrote:
I made another test, a burst of shots using a manual lens with adapter this time, and same as before, not one error.
Strange. I am very happy of this because I love my 400D. But being a curious person, I would like to know the reason why the firmware update fixed this problem, not just welcome the fact it did.

The most logical cause I could think for the problem (card contacts faulty in the camera) can not be fixed by firmware.
Can't them?

And if it was firmware, why it has worked flawlessly for more than one year, then suddenly developed this problem?

Sometimes bugs don't show right away - it can take a particular method of working to initiate the fault that may not show up under perhaps more normal use - not that I'm suggesting you abuse your camera here. Laughing

This is the list of fixes that the latest firmware for the 5D fixed:

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eos5d/eos5d_firmware-e.html

Firmware is effectively the camera's operating system so can have very far reaching effects - sometimes surprisingly so as the above list may demonstrate.