Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax Planar 2/135.....Horrible accident
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Did you get an x-ray on your foot?
Bill

Better not. I would hate to send my right foot to Zeiss for repairs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW don't take the last sentence too seriously even if there wasn't the smiley Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
BTW don't take the last sentence too seriously even if there wasn't the smiley Wink

On a serious note, if you do have to send your foot to Zeiss, take special
care in the packaging! LOL But extra seriously, tho, I commiserate--it
sux when this kind of stuff happens.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unpleasantly for me to read about your mishap, Orio. I'm imagining how I would feel, if it happened for me. I saved up for months for the purchase of E-300 and lenses...

I hope that your foot will heal up Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxim wrote:
I hope that your foot will heal up Wink

You're too late with the well wishes, Hubert, the foot developed gangrene
and had to be sawn off! Just kiddin' Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@orio.
I'd hate it if that happened to any of mine. Still, it's just life and if the lens isn't optically compromised it's a battle scar, just cosmetic. One of my most battered lenses, a Tamron 28/2.5 looks like it's been dropped and kicked several times, but it's still fine. It even lends a certain street cred when it's on the camera, much the same as all those brassed bodies on ebay Smile

What make was the Contax/EOS adapter? I'm about to buy one or two and may as well avoid the dodgy one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
@orio.
I'd hate it if that happened to any of mine. Still, it's just life and if the lens isn't optically compromised it's a battle scar, just cosmetic. One of my most battered lenses, a Tamron 28/2.5 looks like it's been dropped and kicked several times, but it's still fine. It even lends a certain street cred when it's on the camera, much the same as all those brassed bodies on ebay Smile

It's very difficult to create problems to a wide angle when it's this compact.
Large tele lenses with big glass are much more delicate.
I need to make some proper testing before being sure that there is no damage to the optical performance. But even like this, the impossibility to mount a hood is a real problem with such a big front glass.

Farside wrote:
What make was the Contax/EOS adapter? I'm about to buy one or two and may as well avoid the dodgy one.

The one that failed I bought from seller big_is.
Difficult to tell which brand as they are not branded. What I can tell you is that this one is one of those that are larger (there are with larger base and smaller base), and with the writing CO/Y instead of C/Y.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Large tele lenses with big glass are much more delicate.
I need to make some proper testing before being sure that there is no damage to the optical performance. But even like this, the impossibility to mount a hood is a real problem with such a big front glass.

True enough. Is there a good repairer near you that could be trusted to straighten the filter threads?

Orio wrote:

The one that failed I bought from seller big_is.
Difficult to tell which brand as they are not branded. What I can tell you is that this one is one of those that are larger (there are with larger base and smaller base), and with the writing CO/Y instead of C/Y.

Thanks for that - I haven't bought from 'big_is' yet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:

True enough. Is there a good repairer near you that could be trusted to straighten the filter threads?

There is. But I'm not sure if I want to committ the lens to them. If by any chance they make a scratch on the glass while trying to straighten the thread (it can happen in the best families), I can trash the lens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, my friend, have you seen such a hood?

They are not really good, because they are made of plastic and do not really hold tight to the lens, BUT: you can use this hood at any lens, also to lenses with dents in the filter ring.
This hood slide over the front of the lens and is fixed with a little screw that squeezes an internal ring against the lens barrel.

Perhaps you can find such a hood with a diameter of 75mm. I guess this is the size you need for the 2/135.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this one: Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also the 22$ diy solution

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Orio, my friend, have you seen such a hood? Perhaps you can find such a hood with a diameter of 75mm. I guess this is the size you need for the 2/135.

That's the same type of fastening that's used on the Tamron hood that came with my 35-70. It mounts firmly and it actually easier to use than the normal threaded one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The diameter is 72mm
I don't think that this hood can be mount on the Planar, because the glass is mounted "? jour", that is, there is no separator ring between the glass and the rim. Mounting such a hood would risk greatly to scratch the glass.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The diameter is 72mm

Yes, internally. But this hood slides over the outside of the barrel, and I guess this needs 75mm (as far as I can see from the Zeiss data sheet).

Can you perhaps show a picture of your lens? Then we might find a solution...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Yes, internally. But this hood slides over the outside of the barrel, and I guess this needs 75mm (as far as I can see from the Zeiss data sheet).

Yes, external is 75mm

LucisPictor wrote:
Can you perhaps show a picture of your lens? Then we might find a solution...

I don't have the heart to do it Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, no problem, maybe later...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Orio.
I have been away from the forum for a few days and have just read about your troubles. I'm sorry to hear things have gone so but it sounds like you take it in stride. I wanted to tell you about a "problem" I had similar to your 440D issue. I have a nikon 8400 that did the same thing not recording every shot. As it turned out it was a problem with the card not the camera. I took it for repair and the tech told me to try a new card first. That was the last of it's troubles. Also I was able to erase and re-format the old card and it now works fine also. Hopefully this is all you are experiencing.
Best regards
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Hello Orio.
I have been away from the forum for a few days and have just read about your troubles. I'm sorry to hear things have gone so but it sounds like you take it in stride.

One of the few advantages of age and of having experienced the really sad things in life - you learn how to put everything in perspective

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
I wanted to tell you about a "problem" I had similar to your 440D issue. I have a nikon 8400 that did the same thing not recording every shot. As it turned out it was a problem with the card not the camera. I took it for repair and the tech told me to try a new card first. That was the last of it's troubles. Also I was able to erase and re-format the old card and it now works fine also. Hopefully this is all you are experiencing.

It has done it with at least two different cards so I think it's not that. But I will make a further check prior to take the camera to servicing.
I wouldn't care about it at all if it wasn't that I have the Carnival in two weeks - that is the photographic moment I enjoy the most in the year, and having to face it with just one digital camera is not ideal for someone like me who does not like zooms. So it seems that I will have to use film again for the wide shots (which are those that I make less often), and use 5D for the tele work. Last year, I did use 5D for the wide work and 400D for the tele work, and I was very happy with that.
I am a bit undecided about what to use as film camera, if the Contax G2 rangefinder, or the Contax 167MT reflex.
The advantage of 167MT would be the reflex vision, of course. The advantage of the G2 would be the small size and the availability of autofocus, given the fact that with film, I can not afford to shoot as many pictures as I would do with digital, autofocus might improve the number of keepers from a more limited number of takes.
What slide film would you advice for good action photograph? I was thinking about a 400 ISO - at the beginning of the day it would be too much, but towards the end, it would be needed.
Or perhaps start with a 100 ISO, or a very good 200ISO, and load a 400 ISO when the light goes down.

The most annoying part will be colour-matching the slides with the digital takes Confused

I was even considering buying another 400D while the Canon rebate lasts - but after the accident to my Planar 135 the priority is to win another copy of this lens, if possible.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One option maybe would be to try renting a 40D. I don't know if this is easy to do where you live here there are a couple of shops that rent for 1 day to a couple weeks. It would give you a chance to try the cam. The functions are so natural for someone like you who shoots Canon already. Hopefully this is something that can work. Another thing you could try is a firmware update. Check the canon site there may be one for your camera. Even if the update is for another issue. When you instal it it will reboot the camera system and may solve other issues as a result. For film. I mostly only shoot B+W negs. The color film I use is also negative it is the kodak VC160 Pro film. The colors are really nice and it has nice exposure latitude. It is also available in 400iso. I have not shot slides in a dozen years or more. My friend who shoots a lot of slides still love Velvia. I hope this info helps you. Try the rental route you will love the 40D. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody here rents cameras Sad Let alone a new model as the 40D.
Maybe in Milan, I don't know, but even if yes, I can't make 100 km just to rent a camera. I'd be happy even with a 300D however.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, you should take the Contax G2, since you will have the reflex vision with the 5D and the Contax will give you pictures that you won't get from a SLR.

And then load the G2 with this film:

More about that? http://shutterbug.com/equipmentreviews/film_darkroom_gear/1207fujichrome/index1.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting about this Provia 400. I will try it.
Does it exist as 200 ISO also?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the reviews I second Carsten. Provia in ISO 200 variation is not made. See:
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/professional_films/lineup.html
and
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/consumer_film/lineup.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio 100km is not so far. I drive twice this for work most days. Certainly you can find some fun in Milan also. You should look into it my friend. After what you have gone thru this week it would be good to treat yourself. Maybe it's not even available but it does not hurt to check.