Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CHINON lenses COMPLETE LIST OF PRIMES M42 & PK
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These next 2 lenses are the reason I posted today.

I believe they are also circa 1979-1983, accompanying the Chinon CE-4, CM-4, CM-5, CP-5 bodies.

Obvious differences:
Orange & Green (O&G) label, multi coated, faster, f/ range to 22.
Heavier.
The 50mm weighs 6.9oz.
The 28 weighs 6.8oz.

I believe the O&G lenses are a higher grade than the "orange-only label" lenses above, and in my limited experience so far, they deliver better IQ than any other lens I have tried to date, including a super-tak 50mm 1.4 and an early Sears Auto EE 50mm 1.4.

Admittedly, the K-mount MF lenses I have tried all focus perfectly, whereas some of the M42's have a touch of front or back focus, so that may be affecting my perception.

So I'm interested in learning more about this O&G series of Chinons.
They have smooth action, predictable results, and are easy to use.

Does anyone here know how many primes are in the series?

I have seen photos of 1 or 2 different zooms with the same O&G markings. How many zooms are in the series?

Are my assumptions about dates and camera bodies reasonably accurate?

Does anyone else have experience with these O&G Chinon lenses?

Other comments?

Thanks!

A couple of snaps with the O&G 50mm 1.7, handheld, again just testing for color and focus:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, well, I'll keep looking.

I like Chinon lenses, and I suspect that they changed a lot over time, and I'll just keep playing around until I figure out what is what.

I confess, I thought this thread might be something worth reviving, but it's pretty quiet here.

I'm new to photography. I posted some shots and some comments. No response.

The noobs never know whether the silence is because of the IQ or the comment or what?

Is this board dead?

Thx.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCS wrote:
Hey, well, I'll keep looking.

I like Chinon lenses, and I suspect that they changed a lot over time, and I'll just keep playing around until I figure out what is what.

I confess, I thought this thread might be something worth reviving, but it's pretty quiet here.

I'm new to photography. I posted some shots and some comments. No response.

The noobs never know whether the silence is because of the IQ or the comment or what?

Is this board dead?

Thx.

No, just a little quiet sometimes.
Nothing wrong with your IQ or comment either.
The images look good - you should be happy with them.
Can't help you with Chinon lenses unfortunately as I don't have any.
Thanks for sharing yours
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: nothing of relevance to add Reply with quote

Your observations are noted, but a reply would need some useful info to add. I only have info on the older Chinons.

On page 1 of this thread I noticed that I wrote "current" about the Zeiss\Voigtländer relations. Cosina is the current maker.

p.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and feedback!

Not relevant to this thread, but I've also taken an interest in vintage Tamron T-mount lenses. Good info on this site!

I'll post again when I have some images from other Chinons.

Thx!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1988 I have read in the reader's letters section of the Shutterbug magazine, a Bob Shell answer saying that the GAF camera had a very good lens, the Chinon 50/1,9 one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
spiralcity wrote:
I dont see any Chinars. Smile

Could you please verify Chinar similar as Chinon? From what i've seen none seems CHINON. Please send some links.

Chinon had just like other brands an "entry level" brand for budget conscious buyers. See catalogue:
http://www.cameramanuals.org/chinon_specs/chinar_lenses.pdf

Sorry for jumping in on an old thread but I recently acquired a Chinon 55mm f/1.7 M42 lens and was struck in awe by it's sharpness and rendering.
That made me take up an interest in the brand and I would like to see if we can better chart the lenses as there must have been several different iterations of each focal length and probably with different optical design as well.
The list with one 28mm in M42 and another for K mount I believe over simplifies it somewhat.
I have already three different 28mm lenses, and I have seen at least another version of the 28mm for the K mount than the one I got.

I would be thrilled if we could cooperate in such a charting of the Chinon lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrKodak wrote:
Pancolart wrote:
spiralcity wrote:
I dont see any Chinars. Smile

Could you please verify Chinar similar as Chinon? From what i've seen none seems CHINON. Please send some links.

Chinon had just like other brands an "entry level" brand for budget conscious buyers. See catalogue:
http://www.cameramanuals.org/chinon_specs/chinar_lenses.pdf

Sorry for jumping in on an old thread but I recently acquired a Chinon 55mm f/1.7 M42 lens and was struck in awe by it's sharpness and rendering.
That made me take up an interest in the brand and I would like to see if we can better chart the lenses as there must have been several different iterations of each focal length and probably with different optical design as well.
The list with one 28mm in M42 and another for K mount I believe over simplifies it somewhat.
I have already three different 28mm lenses, and I have seen at least another version of the 28mm for the K mount than the one I got.

I would be thrilled if we could cooperate in such a charting of the Chinon lenses.

The Chinar primes in the link are early Samyangs, don't know about the two zooms though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first zoom looks identical to this one from Sakar (Pentax forums)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently saw a Chinon 21mm f/3.5.
When I returned home I looked it up and saw they ask extremely high prices.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Chinon 28mm primes Reply with quote

These are the Chinon 28mm f/2.8 I got so far.
The oldest with M42 mount has a massive front lens, 62mm filter diameter.
The Chinon in the middle is with 52mm front filter ring and PK mount, rubber and lettering looks a bit like Kino Precision Industries lenses sold by a electronics chain in Sweden, branded under the same name (Expert).
The one to the right is the 49mm filter diameter and PK mount, different from the one in the middle.
I have seen at least one other, early with leather looking grip, maybe there are more.

I got two 135mm but a third on it's way, so I'll wait with that post. I'm a little low on 35mm but I got the 55mm f/1.7 and a 50mm f/1.7.
So we will see how it gets on...

PS: The keen eyed notices that focusing on the middle 28mm (PK mount, 52mm front filter ring) goes the other way compared with the other Chinon lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Chinin 135mm f/2.8 lenses Reply with quote

Here is the three different Chinon 135mm f/2.8 I got hold of.
The two on the left are M42 nd the one on the right Pentax K mount.
Only slight differences besides the grip that differentiates them nut the mechanical lens fittings in the back are different so they could be different designs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spotted another Chinon-Tomioka lens, here is the picture.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard about this Chinon 21/3.5.
Is it any good for a landscape shots on a modern camera?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
Never heard about this Chinon 21/3.5.
Is it any good for a landscape shots on a modern camera?

I honestly don't know yet, but I'm eager to find out.
And a hint; it is a TOMIOKA! That ought to ring some bells.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 3, at least, Chinon 55/1,4 lenses.

Not MC with plane chinon 55/1,4 in the front ring.

A second with blue and little "multicoated"

Both with the infrared index place. Near the F/4.

And the third, with "MULTICOATED" un green letters.

The first two, from Tomioka?

The Third?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Chinon 28mm primes Reply with quote

MrKodak wrote:
These are the Chinon 28mm f/2.8 I got so far.
The oldest with M42 mount has a massive front lens, 62mm filter diameter.
The Chinon in the middle is with 52mm front filter ring and PK mount, rubber and lettering looks a bit like Kino Precision Industries lenses sold by a electronics chain in Sweden, branded under the same name (Expert).
The one to the right is the 49mm filter diameter and PK mount, different from the one in the middle.
I have seen at least one other, early with leather looking grip, maybe there are more.

So which is the best of the bunch?

In another thread there is also this one, which is a Tamron CW28

And on ebay I found a version with a 58mm thread:

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinon 28mm primes Reply with quote

So which is the best of the bunch?

In another thread there is also this one, which is a Tamron CW28

And on ebay I found a version with a 58mm thread:

[/quote]

I will have to do some testing, I have been picking up quite a few lenses lately so I have a lot on my to-do-list. Very Happy
But it will be fun!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Chinonflex 23mm - new addition Reply with quote

We will have to add another lens to the list.
I have found a 23mm (?) Chinonflex lens, that wasn't listed in the list in the beginning.
I'm not sure of the distinction between Chinon and Chinonflex lenses, early Chinon cameras were Chinonflex so I'm guessing the lenses started out being called Chinonflex.

It is my first 23mm lens I have seen, pre-digital era.
Odd but it's close to 24mm I guess.

I'm still awaiting delivery so it's from the sellers pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resurrecting this thread a bit, but with good reason - I didn't see this Chinon listed here:

Auto Chinon MCM 55mm f1.7 Macro by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

supposedly the world's fastest macro lens....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to do an update to my quest for the Chinon lenses.
Here are the Chinon and Chinonflex 135mm lenses I have gathered so far.
Besides the two lenses in the middle, one with fake leather grip and the other with rubber next to it, they have all different optical design. Even if I haven't taken them apart, you can tell from the different size and form of the front and rear lenses they are different.
I have another 135mm but that is branded Expert so I haven't included that one, but I have seen other threads here that lens is claimed to be sold as Tamron, Chinon, Expert among others.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tamron made one is a copy of the Adaptall 135 2.8 CT-135 and looks like this.

I have the 200mm of that series

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
The Tamron made one is a copy of the Adaptall 135 2.8 CT-135 and looks like this.

I have the 200mm of that series

I have that lens too, branded as Expert as I said, I also have a 200mm in the same style as well as a 300mm; besides the 28mm and 35mm in the same conical shape.
Not to forget two zooms; an 85-210mm and a 40-105mm, all Expert branded though...
Those are, however, as far as I have tested the best of the lenses from Chinon (with Expert branding).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperberry farm wrote:
resurrecting this thread a bit, but with good reason - I didn't see this Chinon listed here:

Auto Chinon MCM 55mm f1.7 Macro by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

supposedly the world's fastest macro lens....

I had it. A very good lens. Sharp, with normal contrast.

Didn't use it in macro mode.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrKodak wrote:
and a 40-105mm,

Interesting. There is no Tamron with that range, but It must be The 38-100mm 1:3.5 adaptall I guess