Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CHINON lenses COMPLETE LIST OF PRIMES M42 & PK
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derived from this one:

Not a simple rebrand since it has a different body, but same optics.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks D1N0, I already knew it was derived from a Tamron lens just couldn't find more specifics concerning this lens on the www.

Before I published my pictures here I never found any pictures on the www showing this same lens.. So my initial question(s) remains..

Do you (or anyone else here) know why there seems to be so little known about this specific lens? Is it because it is a very rare lens (due to a very limited production maybe)? Is there anything known about it's etstimated value?

I would like to learn more concerning this Chinon Tapered 24mm f2.5 and I am also wondering if someone on this forum own (or owned) this specific lens?

And if not, has anyone on this forum even actually seen this specific lens as shown in my pictures?

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George K. wrote:
Thanks D1N0, I already knew it was derived from a Tamron lens just couldn't find more specifics concerning this lens on the www.

Before I published my pictures here I never found any pictures on the www showing this same lens.. So my initial question(s) remains..

Do you (or anyone else here) know why there seems to be so little known about this specific lens? Is it because it is a very rare lens (due to a very limited production maybe)? Is there anything known about it's etstimated value?

I would like to learn more concerning this Chinon Tapered 24mm f2.5 and I am also wondering if someone on this forum own (or owned) this specific lens?

And if not, has anyone on this forum even actually seen this specific lens as shown in my pictures?

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated!

The reason it is rare is that Chinon isn't a mayor brand. They mainly sold 50/55 mm kitlenses. 135mm and 28mm are more common. I have the 200mm f3.5 of this series. 24mm was usually sold to more serious photographers and they tended to use more serious brands. Being a 24mm it will be more valuable than a 28mm. But I think few people would pay more than a hundred euro's for it or anywhere near unless they are specifically collecting these Chinons.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another Click here to see on Ebay

Sample photo: http://forum.mflenses.com/chinon-24mm-f2-5-minolta-md-mount-t70919.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Sample photo: http://forum.mflenses.com/chinon-24mm-f2-5-minolta-md-mount-t70919.html

Google found that one for me. Ebay doesn't show me stuff that doesn't ship here. I wonder if the lens design was carried over to the adaptall-2 01B/01BB (since those are also 10/9 with .25cm cfd and 55mm filter thread). In that case it is a very good 24mm lens.

Edit Let's just compare diagrams:

#1 Tamron 01B/BB

#2 Chinon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you D1NO, your explanation made me understand why it is a rare lens to find and it sounds logical as well.

Apart from the Chinon tapered 24mm f 2.5, I have the 28mm, the 35mm f 2.8, 135mm f2.8 and the 200mm f3.5. I also have the 35-100mm (PK mount) and the non tapered 55 f.1.7 (MC version).

I also want to thank visualopsins for the valubale links provided.

If anybody else would like to add something please feel free to do so!

I stll have to complete my profile but until then: I like to use my mf-lenses on my Sony A7RII and still have to test a lot mf lenses as my collection is growing a little bit 'out of hand' (if that is the correct expression Wink).. something that probably sonds all too familiar to many of the forum members here Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: D1NO, I just checked the cfd of my Chinon 24mm f 2.5, that's 25cm, filter thread is 55mm (as shown in the pictures) but you were wondering if the design was carried over to the adaptall-2 01B/01BB, correct? Is there no proof or knowledge about that?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George K. wrote:
PS: D1NO, I just checked the cfd of my Chinon 24mm f 2.5, that's 25cm, filter thread is 55mm (as shown in the pictures) but you were wondering if the design was carried over to the adaptall-2 01B/01BB, correct? Is there no proof or knowledge about that?

It is not mentioned on http://www.adaptall-2.com/ But since the specs are so similar I think it is probably optically very similar. The diagrams also look pretty similar as far as I can tell with that low res image. Likely coatings were improved in the adaptall-2 version.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Google found that one for me. Ebay doesn't show me stuff that doesn't ship here. I wonder if the lens design was carried over to the adaptall-2 01B/01BB (since those are also 10/9 with .25cm cfd and 55mm filter thread). In that case it is a very good 24mm lens.

Edit Let's just compare diagrams:

#1 Tamron 01B/BB

#2 Chinon

Out of sheer coincidence looking to see if anyone else had uploaded lens diagrams on Flickr, I found some decent photos of a Chinon brochure:

Chinon 24mm f/2.5 ultra-wide-angle by Adam Freidin, on Flickr

crop:

Last edited by eggplant on Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1NO, I agree, not only the specs but also the diagrams look very similar although the low resolution image of the Chinon has to be taken in consideration (now updated by eggplant (thanks for that!)) so, just like you, I think it's very likely they share the same opticall design.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks very similar, Tamron shows more air gaps and slightly thinner elements, but you never know how accurate those drawings are. I'll watch out for a deal on a CW-24 so I can compare it to the O1BB I own Wink.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So different reviews for early and modern one on Pentax Forums whereas seems the same design. Probably low score based on F2.5 sharpness (i'd love to test that poetry):
https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tamron-adaptall-24mm-f-2-5-cw-24.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tamron-adaptall-2-24mm-f-2-5-01b.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CW-24 has only five reviews, only two that give points (I think that feature was added later) so that is extremely skewed by one bad review of one copy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imo, the Adaptall-2 01B/01BB and this Chinon are clearly different designs- not a drawing error.

What I think is the case, though, is the Adaptall-2 lens is a mere improvement or tweak to the CW-24 (Chinon). They share the same element count/groups and minimum focus distance.And as D1N0 points out there's air space changes, quite a few infact, and also importantly lens thickness changes. Plus some curvatures look different.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting this
I got an Auto Chinon 135/2.8 (orange letters) from my father in law
It is almost identical to an Auto-Tamron-F 135/2.8 that I acquired years ago.
Both are M42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a Chinon MC 55/1.4. It was dirt cheap because the aperture is stuck open (I’m intended to use it wide open anyways), and it’s nice to have a multicoated version of this lens.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:44 pm    Post subject: Seemingly rare Auto Chinon 135mm f3.5 Reply with quote

Hello! This is my first contribution to this page. I have been following this topic. I recently acquired an old Auto Chinon lens online that is apparently very rare, it is a 135mm f3.5, with a focus ring covered in faux leather. I have not received it yet but I am attaching photographs that I found on the Internet of the same lens, it is the only information available on the Internet about this. Note the serial number 100400, the one I acquired is 100204, this suggests that very few examples were manufactured and it was immediately replaced by the much better known f2.8. If anyone has any information about this lens I would appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Seemingly rare Auto Chinon 135mm f3.5 Reply with quote

jorgegomez wrote:
Hello! This is my first contribution to this page. I have been following this topic. I recently acquired an old Auto Chinon lens online that is apparently very rare, it is a 135mm f3.5, with a focus ring covered in faux leather. I have not received it yet but I am attaching photographs that I found on the Internet of the same lens, it is the only information available on the Internet about this. Note the serial number 100400, the one I acquired is 100204, this suggests that very few examples were manufactured and it was immediately replaced by the much better known f2.8. If anyone has any information about this lens I would appreciate it.

Since your first post it needs a reply that is becomes visible. Welcome to the forum. I think it is SUN made lens, possibly the same as Berolina silver line and as such a true Sonnar type design. Superb image quality.

Last edited by Pancolart on Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Seemingly rare Auto Chinon 135mm f3.5 Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

Since your first post it needs a reply that is becomes visible. Welcome to the forum. I think it is SUN made lens, possibly the same as Berolina silver line and as such a true type Sonnar design.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually made this photo with silver Berolina and i am 99% sure it is the same lens: https://www.deviantart.com/pancolartjorge/art/Duppy-Conqueror-348962136

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Actually made this photo with silver Berolina and i am 99% sure it is the same lens: https://www.deviantart.com/pancolartjorge/art/Duppy-Conqueror-348962136

Beautiful photo indeed. Now I'm more eager to get my hands on the lens.