Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CHINON lenses COMPLETE LIST OF PRIMES M42 & PK
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 28 and the 135 with the green unequal diamond focusing mark are almost certainly Cimko lenses, that distinctive mark is found on many rebranded lenses.

Here's some of my Chinon's, I sold a tapered Chinon 200 and regret it, it was a very good lens. I still have the 300 though.

Chinon 300 / 5.6

Tamron version.

An early zoom, the 35 - 100 / 3.5 - 4.3. Also a Cimko lens, and very good.

Chinon 200 / 3.5 with a Canon tripod mount. I sold this one recently, it was very average.

CE4S & CE5 with lenses.

Chinon CS with 200 / 3.5 & 28 / 2.8

Chinon 50 / 1.7

Chinon CX with 55 / 1.7

I've got a couple of 28 / 2.8's ( Tomioka ? ) as well, one is a bit rough cosmetically but ok optically that I'm selling cheaply. I bought a bag of stuff recently and there was a lot of Chinon in it including a CE4 camera that is not working and the scruffy 28.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this one is missing from the list:
http://forum.mflenses.com/chinon-auto-m42-50mm-1-7-m42-pin-t79020.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there was a Chinon 55mm f1.2 in PK mount. This lens was designed by Tomioka and sold also under the names Revuenon and Cosina (not Cosinon, which was the named used for the M42 version with the cut rear element and sold as Yashinon, Tominon, Revuenon, Chinon and Cosinon). Or am I incorrect about the PK version being branded Chinon?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got a Chinon 50mm f/2 with fake leather covering the focus ring. The infinity mark is a red round dot, same as my Chinon 55mm f/1.4 (one has Tomioka on the name ring; one doesn't). Not to say the 50mm f/2 is also a Tomioka but to say the 50mm f/2 is at least in the same era as the 55mm f/1.4.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe at some point production of normal lenses for Chinon went over from Tomioka to Cosina. So the 55mm 1.4 design can be seen in Tomioka (red diamond) and Cosina (red llollipop) livery. In the transitional period Cosina produced lenses (at least the Cosinon brand) had Tomioka written on them to signify it's legacy. The 50mm lenses 1.7,1.4, 1.9 are I think redesigns of the earlier 55mm 1.4 and 55mm 1.7 from Tomioka. This transition happened I think because Tomioka (owned by Yashica) was focussing on industrial optics. It is still part of Kyocera.

It seems Chinon also still exists. In 1997 it was taken over by Eastman Kodak (we all know how that went..) Now it still a website selling Chinon branded electronic gadgets and photographic accessories for the Japanese market. http://chinon.co.jp http://chinon.jp/ http://shop.chinon.co.jp/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: what is in a name? Reply with quote

It is perfectly possible to merge or split a company and keep the valuable name bits (example the Leitz+ Kern saga and the Leica for fashionistas period) or to ditch less profitable bits and sell off the name (example; Francke&Heideckes finish), so someone may have seen an opportunity when Kodak went broke.

p

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
I believe at some point production of normal lenses for Chinon went over from Tomioka to Cosina. So the 55mm 1.4 design can be seen in Tomioka (red diamond) and Cosina (red llollipop) livery. In the transitional period Cosina produced lenses (at least the Cosinon brand) had Tomioka written on them to signify it's legacy. The 50mm lenses 1.7,1.4, 1.9 are I think redesigns of the earlier 55mm 1.4 and 55mm 1.7 from Tomioka. This transition happened I think because Tomioka (owned by Yashica) was focussing on industrial optics. It is still part of Kyocera.

It seems Chinon also still exists. In 1997 it was taken over by Eastman Kodak (we all know how that went..) Now it still a website selling Chinon branded electronic gadgets and photographic accessories for the Japanese market. http://chinon.co.jp http://chinon.jp/ http://shop.chinon.co.jp/

Thanks for the information and the history. I had thought the "red lollipop" is Tomioka.

1. Tomioka's own lens has the red lollipop. Although Cosina also have the red lollipop, but the DOF scale is different.
2. Lollipop versions of Chinon usually have the fake leather, which seems older to me than the rubber leather pattern focus ring which has the red diamond.

Anyway, might not be very important to dig out, as long as they are fun lenses to use. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
MrKodak wrote:
and a 40-105mm,

Interesting. There is no Tamron with that range, but It must be The 38-100mm 1:3.5 adaptall I guess

I haven't got a clue, I have seen that lens too, the consensus seems to be that the conical with Oly-like diamond-shaped rubber waffle grip is Tamron.

The Expert branded lens I have seen on eBay as Chinon and here too: http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/289-chinon-zoom-multi-coated-40-105mm-f-3-5-22

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
I have got a Chinon 50mm f/2 with fake leather covering the focus ring. The infinity mark is a red round dot, same as my Chinon 55mm f/1.4 (one has Tomioka on the name ring; one doesn't). Not to say the 50mm f/2 is also a Tomioka but to say the 50mm f/2 is at least in the same era as the 55mm f/1.4.

Is it any good? I made an offer in an auction but someone outbid me quite soon. Don't know whether I want to take it further.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

Is it any good? I made an offer in an auction but someone outbid me quite soon. Don't know whether I want to take it further.

Decent sharpness, on par with my recently acquired Yashica 5cm f/2. Color rendition is solid.

My usual scene of testing a lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
D1N0 wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

Decent sharpness, on par with my recently acquired Yashica 5cm f/2. Color rendition is solid.

Looks good and now you said that I compared it to My Yashinon 50mm 1:1.7 It looks virtually identical apart from the 1.7 and the faux leather focus ring rubber. It must be a batch of re badged Yashinons. Tomioka probably made those as well since Yashica owned them. Well that serves my curiosity well enough. I don't need to buy it now Wink

My Yashinon:
Auto Yashinon-DS 50mm 1:1.7 by The lens profile, on Flickr

The Chinon in question:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

Looks good and now you said that I compared it to My Yashinon 50mm 1:1.7 It looks virtually identical apart from the 1.7 and the faux leather focus ring rubber. It must be a batch of re badged Yashinons. Tomioka probably made those as well since Yashica owned them. Well that serves my curiosity well enough. I don't need to buy it now Wink

Good I saved you some funds on other lenses. Laugh 1

I bumped into it very occasionally and it seems quite uncommon. I was thinking it was the redecessor of the 50mm f/1.9. But really not sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:
D1N0 wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

My Yashinon:
Auto Yashinon-DS 50mm 1:1.7 by The lens profile, on Flickr

The Chinon in question:

That was a very clean and beautiful Yashinon lens. I like their mechanical design or should I say exterior cosmetics perhaps.
Interesting, but that confirms as Chinon was buying a lot from Tomioka.
But this lens predates the Yashica purchase of Tomioka by some years I believe, I can't remember when exactly but this must have been from before that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone !

I have this Tomioka Chinon 21mm and I need to disassemble the back block in order to declick it and install a standard cinema focus ring on it. Problem is... I don't see any way of doing this, no screws, nothing.

Anyone knows a way ?

Cheers !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zefred wrote:

Hey everyone !

I have this Tomioka Chinon 21mm and I need to disassemble the back block in order to declick it and install a standard cinema focus ring on it. Problem is... I don't see any way of doing this, no screws, nothing.

Anyone knows a way ?

Cheers !

Welcome, zefred.

I can't help with your lens, but I've quoted your post so the pictures will show.
Pictures aren't allowed in a member's first post.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wild guess. Rear end seems separated and has edge ring. If there are no small side screws then just try to unscrew it. This will lead you further. If it isn't the case then all procedure goes from front side.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to unscrew the back, and it released the back element... that's it. nothing else.

There is no clear way to unscrew the front either. :'(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zefred wrote:

[I tried to unscrew the back, and it released the back element... that's it. nothing else.

There is no clear way to unscrew the front either. :'(]

The mount-end view reminds me of a Meyer-Optik Domiplan.
I am thinking you can probably get into the back the same way.

There are some youtube videos on this.
Use 'disassembling domiplan' in your search terms.

Most vids feature lenses that have recently been stripped down;
yours may be more stubborn, and require the use of tools like tea-towels,
filter ring wrenches, or pickle-jar openers.

Having written that, I am thinking another thread may be the place to discuss this.

I recently bought a 50mm f1.9 like DCS's on p.2 of this thread
that came with a very dirty non working CE-4.
After seeing his pics I think it may well be worth a proper clean. [/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Kimura Optical ? Reply with quote

Does anyone here know about a company named Kimura Optical?
In the November, 1974 issue of Popular Photography magazine I found this:

From an internet search:
https://camerapedia.fandom.com/wiki/Kimura

And what about the mentioned 85mm? Was it actually produced? I didn't see a mention of it in this thread yet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading this thread with interest, but had nothing to contribute, until today.
I just came across an undated Chinon lens brochure, showing mostly lenses of the "tapered" variety.
I figure it's probably from the early 1980s, judging by the appearance of the lenses. I thought it might be of interest to some.
Sorry about the quality. My scanner is a real dog (it barks at me sometimes too) Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Some of those are quite rare. I have the 200mm but that is pretty common as is the 28. They were made by Tamron (except the 35 and 50 i'd think because there aren't corresponding Tamrons unless the 35 is the adapt-a-matic version) They were reclads from the first adaptall series: http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/Adaptall_LensIndex.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I am new to this forum so forgive me if I make mistakes and please show me the correct way of doing things if i do something stupid!

I am from the Netherlands so my English isn't perfect..

I own many manual lenses and amongst them are several tapered Chinon lenses and one of them is the Chinon tapered 24mm F/2.5 as shown in the Chinon lens brochure page as (re-)published here by konicamera.

Apart from that I can't find anything about this lens on internet and I am wondering why? Is it extremely rare? (due to a very limited production maybe?) Does anyone here know something according to it's estimated value?

I can make some photo's of this lens and post them here but I think I have to wait for moderator approval as this is my first post..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George K. wrote:
Hello, I am new to this forum so forgive me if I make mistakes and please show me the correct way of doing things if i do something stupid!

I am from the Netherlands so my English isn't perfect..

I own many manual lenses and amongst them are several tapered Chinon lenses and one of them is the Chinon tapered 24mm F/2.5 as shown in the Chinon lens brochure page as (re-)published here by konicamera.

Apart from that I can't find anything about this lens on internet and I am wondering why? Is it extremely rare? (due to a very limited production maybe?) Does anyone here know something according to it's estimated value?

I can make some photo's of this lens and post them here but I think I have to wait for moderator approval as this is my first post..

Welcome George K.

Pictures can be posted in your next message. Approval is automatic; no moderator needed. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Post a photo, yes. Probably Tamron made. The series was also offered for ALPA cameras.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised here are some pictures of the Chinon Tapered 24mm f2.5 I own...