Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon EOS M42 adapter problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Canon EOS M42 adapter problem Reply with quote

I got this mail from a customer who bought lenses from me. I don't have Canon EOS camera so I can't answer his question. Please answer to him.

Quote:
Hello Attila,

Got a question for you regarding an adapter for m42 lenses to Canon EOS camera, I hope you can help me with this. I know you deal with manual focus lenses, so I figure maybe you can answer my question.

I got 3 adapters (cheap ones) and with all 3 of them, there is a difference between the vertical of the camera and the vertical of the lens between 30 and 8 degrees, basically the lens do not scrue themselfs to align perfectly to vertical of the camera.

Now, my question is: is this the case for the cheap adapters, or all of them are the same (maibe a technical issue or something). Could you recommend me the best adapter you know to fit a M42 to Canon Eos ? Also this subject might be interesting to be placed on the site as whell, since there are a lot of people who would like to use old manual lenses on the new digital cameras.

Regards

Tudor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes some adapters are correct others are not. But I am unable to tell which is good which is not because I don't remember where I bought this or that.

Anyway one must not be paranoid about it, and use the lens as is. Functionally nothing is compromised. If someone is so anal that he wants everything perfectly aligned etc. he should buy a Canon lens. When you get close to old lenses that were not designed for modern system, you need to be flexible in spirit. People who are afraid of the things not perfectly aligned by the millimeter should choose another hobby.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if I understand him correctly, but if I do, I would say this is "normal" for M42 adapters.
With some adapters you can see the aperture markings at the right position (top), with some they are somewhere at the side of the lens and with some they even are only visible if you turn the cam upside down.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I am not sure if I understand him correctly, but if I do, I would say this is "normal" for M42 adapters.
With some adapters you can see the aperture markings at the right position (top), with some they are somewhere at the side of the lens and with some they even are only visible if you turn the cam upside down.

I never got any adapter that presented the lens upside down.
Only laterally.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure to understand the problem ?

Do To the person ask if this is normal "the apertures values not in front of the "top" of the EOS ?"

If this is the question i answer, YES Smile

And it does not matter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

I never got any adapter that presented the lens upside down.
Only laterally.

I also only have one, thank God! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 4 M42 > EOS adapters, 3 plain ones made of chrome-plated brass and a black anodised aluminium one with AF chip. They all function perfectly but only the black one lines up the lens correctly and I use it nearly all the time. I bought it from happypagehk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not much annoyed by the "lateral" adapters.
I am much more annoyed when you spend hundreds on an autofocus lens that is supposed to track moving objects quickly while in reality it misses focus soon and starts hunting between subject and the background - which is what at least 70% of autofocus lenses do, but it is verboten to say - may we never say that except for the most expensive professional lenses, the AF technology basically sucks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be a common problem with M42/EOS adapters. No easy fix for it, either. Packing the thread would affect the register distance, so that's no good.
It all comes down to the maker not starting the thread at exactly the right spot.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have adapters for M42/Oly and M42/Nikon and both have the same problem - it works with some lenses and not others.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is varied. Currently I have only one m42 adapter it is from happypagehk. With pentax lenses the focus and aperture index is off center but not much. With Tomioka it is centered mostly. Others are all over the board some close to center some a bit off. I don't understand why it would make any difference Confused ? All of the bayonet mount adapters are fine.

Andy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 kind of M42 to EOS adapters, all of them are 15° left aligned; I guess it's to facilitate the reading of the lens values with the protruding flash than most EOS cameras have.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some lenses that sit different on the same adapter. not a big problem as focus and aperture are done by feel anyway. I have a recolection about super wides like the peleng not sitting straight that caused problems. Also you can mount the M42 adapter on each of the three flanges of the EF mount but two do not have a stop so they can fall off if twisted.