Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Big problems with sniping on Ebay
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Big problems with sniping on Ebay Reply with quote

This is getting beyond a joke now. There is a guy going round on ebay sniping bids on Russian lenses., eBay won't show me his full username but it's e***s and this sorry excuse for a human being is causing endless trouble.

In the last week I have been outbid with less than 3 seconds to go on a Mir 1b, a Tair 11, an Industar 61L/Z, a Jupiter 8 and a Jupiter 21.

This lowlife must be using some kind of sniping software because I lost the Mir 1b despite my computer telling me I was the high bidder with 1s to go.

I'm going to contact all the sellers and find out if this scumbag is actually buying these lenses as I suspect he isn't.

I think it's a member of this forum who is getting their kicks by messing with people by spoiling their lens buying attempts, looking at this person's bid history, all his bids are in the last few seconds and he seems to be buying multiple copies of lenses.

I suspect the guy is just enjoying messing with people. Sorry for the rant but it's getting me down now, I make a bid of what I am prepared to pay days in advance only for this little creep to outbid me on every bloody lens in the last 3 secs! It makes it 10x worse than I suspect he's only doing it to annoy people.

Has anyone else had this problem?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems here.
Why don't you use that snip thing yourself?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone snipes on ebay, with everything. That's how it works. Wait til the last 5 seconds and stick your bid in. Accusing people on here for outbidding you is a bit daft! Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniping is a perfectly legitimate strategy for winning on eBay. There is no rule against it.

If you want to win, you should learn to snipe yourself. Every other method is just bidding against yourself. (you also might not be bidding high enough)

vrane.com lets you snipe free once every 24 hours.

There is no point complaining against sniping.

PS: It is probably not the same person sniping. The abbreviations of user names eBay shows you are meaningless.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asd I have two elderly disabled parents to care for I don't have time to sit and watch auctions, I only got to watch the end of the Mir-1b auction because I'd just put my mother to bed.

I thought sniping on ebay was illegal?

I'm really surprised to see people say 'everyone does it and so should you!'

I thought people still had morals, guess I'm wrong.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood cos I dropped my Jupiter 11 on my foot and broke a toe. Lens is fine, toe is big and purple.

It's got to the point where I feel like giving up on ebay and saving my pennies for a trip to Eastern Europe to buy some Russian lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For info, I sell the lenses I don't want to keep on ebay, and a well known lens such as Jupiter 11A will likely attract 40 or so watchers. Typically the serious bidding happens in the last 10 seconds and 5 or 6 people will stick their real bid in at that point.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham is right, everbody snipes in the last seconds, and if you lose it only means you did not bid high enough. Which can be sad if somebody is short of money and he bid all that he could afford, but unfortunately that's how auctions go.
I also have to say that I know several persons who would have the money to bid higher but are still tight fisted in bidding, for whatever reason.

The basic truth for me is: if one really wants a lens, then he should bid on it as high as he can go, so to not have regrets later. If one only bids a sum that he think it could be enough to make a good bargain, and not more, and then loses, then he has no reason or right to regret - that lens must not have been really important after all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with sniping? If someone's willing to pay more for a lens than your maximum bid (ie. the maximum amount you want to pay for it), what difference does it make whether he/she is using sniping software or not? eBay is an auction site, where highest bidder gets item.

I'm not the sniper you're annoyed by (I have no interest in these lenses) but I constantly snipe auctions, in 95% of the cases I am outbid by someone else but... when I win I get the item for a reasonable price (one that I determine, as opposed to a price determined by auction fever)

edit: whoa, that many replies in this short time Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using ebay for years and wasn't aware of sniping, didn't even know it existed until the last week or so. It seems to be par for the course with sales of lenses and photographic items which really surprised me as I haven't experience this before buying anything else.

I got my Jupiter-11 for less than a tenner and only one other person bid. I was the only bidder on the Mir-1b till about 3 mins to go then it went up in 1 pound increments, all the same bidder which was why I thought he was messing with me, who would sit there and make a dozen bids, each one only 1ukp higher than the last until he finally, with 1sec to go outbid me by the princely sum of ONE PENNY!

So I figure he must have been using some kind of software to do his bidding for him.

I'm really shocked this goes on in the photogrpahic world, I thought we were all nice, mature gents, seems I was wrong and there are a lot of sneaky sharks who like camera too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Big problems with sniping on Ebay Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

If you wanna really win an auction - that means NO COMPROMISING BID - and you can place it 7 days before the auction ends

The final bid must be insane to any others expectations or ask someone else to do so, if you have something prior to do (care about your parents)

IF you do not win - your money is still with you at least! Every loss on ebay means profit or saving in your pocket and this should make you stronger!

If you have a time to place bid -- again - it must be an insane bid - good 7-9 secs before all people want to grab it.

again -- no matter who wins, if you loose - you'll save your money again - that works and makes you calm instead of being angry ..

and the last thing -- why do you think that someone from this group wants to let you down?

tf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are describing could just as well be automatic bids placed by eBay on behalf of the bidder... Someone puts in his high bid and every time you raise your bid --> eBay raises the other bidder's bid until max is reached. This is not sniping, it is normal eBay. (As per eBay rules, if two bidders end up on same bid, previous bidder wins.)

Example: I bid USD 100.01 for a lens. 2nd highest bidder bids USD 71.99 for item, minimum raise is 1.00 USD --> I win item for 72.99 USD although I bid (=set my maximum bid to) USD 100.01

Only actual bids (not automatic bids generated up to a bidder's maximum) are shown. Automatic bids may be placed days or hours before a listing ends.

Last edited by Esox lucius on Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come everyone is up so late? Laughing

I just got in from a night out with the boys, so I'm a bit tipsy Laughing Didn't win any lenses tonight but that's probably a good thing Wink Had a nice curry though!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

I just got in from a night out with the boys, so I'm a bit tipsy Laughing Didn't win any lenses tonight but that's probably a good thing Wink

+1 I just came home as well and am watching a couple of European auctions with awkward ending hours...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sat down in front of my PC when there was about 10 mins left onthe Mir and there were two bids and it stood at 2.04.

It went 3.04, 4.04, 5.04, 6.04, 7.04, the bids seemed to come every 30 seconds, evenly spaced.

I had bid 21.01.

With 1 sec to go I was winning with a bid of 20.01

The winning bidder got it for 21.04.

So I was outbid by 3p.

I'd have increased my bid by a few pounds but as I was winning with 1 sec to go according to my PC....

I'm new to buying lenses and it seems I have a lot to learn.

I had no idea there were 'tricks of the trade' it just seems dishonest and sneaky to me to bid this way, but if everyone's doing it...

To be honest, it's not for me, I'm not sneaky, I think I'll leave ebay for those with more time and motivation who don't have a moral problem with such behaviour.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

I just got in from a night out with the boys, so I'm a bit tipsy Laughing Didn't win any lenses tonight but that's probably a good thing Wink

+1 I just came home as well and am watching a couple of European auctions with awkward ending hours...

I'd be asleep myself but my mangled toes are keeping me awake, had 200mg codeine and it still hurts like hell.

I think this is further proof to the rumour they used to carve Jupiter-11s out of old T-34 tanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check that it was the same buyer re-bidding? Sometimes sellers are dishonest and create a second account to bid on their own items, upping the price. I think this is called shilling?

Anyway, there is to stop a buyer re-bidding with a little more at a time, especially if they want to pay the lowest price possible...they'll just keep re-bidding by an extra pound until they're in the lead. These bidders don't usually win though, as someone who *really* wants the lens will place a much bigger bid with just a few seconds to go.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I sat down in front of my PC when there was about 10 mins left onthe Mir and there were two bids and it stood at 2.04.

It went 3.04, 4.04, 5.04, 6.04, 7.04, the bids seemed to come every 30 seconds, evenly spaced.

I had bid 21.01.

With 1 sec to go I was winning with a bid of 20.01

The winning bidder got it for 21.04.

So I was outbid by 3p.

I'd have increased my bid by a few pounds but as I was winning with 1 sec to go according to my PC....

I'm new to buying lenses and it seems I have a lot to learn.

I had no idea there were 'tricks of the trade' it just seems dishonest and sneaky to me to bid this way, but if everyone's doing it...

To be honest, it's not for me, I'm not sneaky, I think I'll leave ebay for those with more time and motivation who don't have a moral problem with such behaviour.

What you are describing is no "trick of the trade", but automatic bids placed by eBay on behalf of the bidder. The other bidder may have placed his max bid several days before you, and your maximum bid never reached his maximum bid, and eBay bid automatically all the time.

Read again my reply:

Esox lucius wrote:
Example: I bid USD 100.01 for a lens. 2nd highest bidder bids USD 71.99 for item, minimum raise is 1.00 USD --> I win item for 72.99 USD although I bid (=set my maximum bid to) USD 100.01

Last edited by Esox lucius on Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Did you check that it was the same buyer re-bidding? Sometimes sellers are dishonest and create a second account to bid on their own items, upping the price. I think this is called shilling?

Anyway, there is to stop a buyer re-bidding with a little more at a time, especially if they want to pay the lowest price possible...they'll just keep re-bidding by an extra pound until they're in the lead. These bidders don't usually win though, as someone who *really* wants the lens will place a much bigger bid with just a few seconds to go.

I think it was the same guy, I didn't check.

I just found it very strange how it happened.

I can just buy a Mir-1b for 43ukp so I thought bidding 31ukp for this one was reasonable as there was one pic, little descripton etc and the 43 quid ones from the Ukraine are lavishly pictured and describe so you know you're not getting a lemon.

So I'm just going to save up till I have the 43+shipping and buy one.

I just can't get my head round this sniping concept, to me it's like there being a crowd of people waiting to get into a building and when the doors open everyone suddenly runs and pushes and fights to get in instead of forming an orderly queue so we can all get in without any hassle. I wouldn't join in a pushing scrum to get in, I'd stand back till the silliness had stopped and then walk in without any fuss.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with sniping, it's a legitimate way of bidding...and it can even go against you in the end! I f you put in a snipe bid and someone else has put in a higher max bid, you don't have any time to put in a higher bid yourslef...thats the chance you take

my grief is with reserve prices...was a komine 28mm f2 on today, and started auction with a 99p bid but reserve not met.....how the hell can you ever meet the reserve (which you dont know) if no one else bids on it? STUPID.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1: Are you reading replies to this topic at all???

FORGET blaming the sniping concept, what you are describing is NOT sniping. You simply were outbid by a buyer who had set a maximum bid higher than your bids ever reached, and every time you bid --> eBay raised that bidder's bid. eBay automatic bids would have continued raising the other buyer's bid until it reached the max bid he/she had set.

You lost the auction, because you did not bid as much as the other buyer - that's not unfair and it certainly is NOT sniping - it's a normal auction on eBay.

Sniping you will experience this way: you enter your maximum bid, seconds before the auction you seem to be winning until you notice when auction has ended that someone outbid you at the last second. You can snipe yourself, by placing your bid at the last second (or use software which does this for you)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
…with 1sec to go outbid me by the princely sum of ONE PENNY!

The problem is not with sniping, but with the fact that you bid too low. If you had bid one penny higher, you would have won.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it, I bid 3 days before the end, with about 10 mins to go there was only one other bid. Why did all the bids suddenly happen in the last minute or two?

If this other higher bidder had bid more than me well in advance then ebay wouldn't have incremented the bid by 1ukp over and over in the last minute, his higher bid would have registered at the time he made it.

What I mean is, If I bid 21ukp and he bid 24ukp then he is the high bidder and the system would refelct that.

But that's not what happened, 21ukp was the winning bid according to my screen at 1s left. The winning bit at 3s left was 20ukp.

So the winning bid (which must have been greater than the 20ukp bid placed at 2s) was placed in the last second.

And you're trying to tell me that's not sniping?

This is all very confusing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I'm really shocked this goes on in the photogrpahic world, I thought we were all nice, mature gents, seems I was wrong and there are a lot of sneaky sharks who like camera too.

So to recap:
- we proved not to be nice mature gents
- a lot of us are sneaky sharks
- it is dishonest to bid this way
- you are above it all, while the other people on Ebay don't have a moral problem with dishonest bidding

Frankly I have been tempted to enter a discussion with you and ask you to explain why it would be dishonest and immoral to place a bid in the last seconds.
But then I realized it would be time lost, because you clearly either
1) are a crybaby who is unable to accept a loss and whines about it and accuses the whole world to be evil; or
2) are pretending to be such, for the purpose of stirring up a flame.
In any case, this thread has no relevance with the topic of manual focus lenses, it is useless even under all other possible respects, and it has gone too far with some wording.
Therefore, the thread is now locked.

Orio
admin.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Big problems with sniping on Ebay Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

If you wanna really win an auction - that means NO COMPROMISING BID - and you can place it 7 days before the auction ends

The final bid must be insane to any others expectations

Exactly. I snipe on every auction, but if I get out-sniped, so what? There's always another one.
Sometimes, if it's something I really want, I'll put in a Nuclear Bomb Snipe, and keep my fingers crossed that nobody else has Smile