Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best shoot taken with manual focus lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymw wrote:
Only had the lens a few days, but here's my best so far. Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm F3.5 on NEX-5N with EVF. Wide open at 1/320s at the British Grand Prix.

Excellent capture, nice timing too. Very Happy


PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:

Excellent capture, nice timing too. Very Happy

+1 !
What a beautiful car !
You were very close ! How did you manage to be there ?


PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
SonicScot wrote:

Excellent capture, nice timing too. Very Happy

+1 !
What a beautiful car !
You were very close ! How did you manage to be there ?

There are a few spots at Silverstone where the track is not too far away, but you are separated by a fence and some railings. By using the lense wide open you can't actually see the fence as it is blurred out, but gives the impression of being beside the track. Plus, I guess, the 135mm is a 202.5mm lense equivalent on the NEX-5N


PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like the british GP, you handle very well, awesome


PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post in this forum! This shot was taken with NEX 5N and the cheap "toy" lens Fujian 35mm f1.7. Nothing spectacular but I kinda like it, even though it is a cat pic Smile


PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SweMac wrote:
First post in this forum! This shot was taken with NEX 5N and the cheap "toy" lens Fujian 35mm f1.7. Nothing spectacular but I kinda like it, even though it is a cat pic Smile

First post. The picture doesn't appear. Antispam measure.

Welcome !!! Very Happy


PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all, great thread. I am a fan of old MF lenses, currently own Super Takumar 1.4 (not that impressed with this lens), Helios 44m-6 58mm, and MIR 35mm f2 (love this lens!!). Since u can't post pictures on the first post, i will post a pic below.
best regards to all


PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this was shot with the Super Takumar at f 1.4 in the Swiss Apls. iz a goat with fog in background Smile


PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Pero and welcome. Very Happy

Very nice photo !
I recommand viewers to click on it and open it in a better resolution.
I like the tones (the bell for instance) and the special mood.


PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a particularly good photo technically, but I like it. Got the exposure wrong, a bit blurred, had to post-process (probably too much), had to crop etc etc. Taken with Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm F3.5 on a Sony NEX-5N at the Farnborough airshow today. Does go to show though that the 10fps capture does help capture the right moment Smile


Last edited by andymw on Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total


PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating shoot Andy!


PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Hello Pero and welcome. Very Happy

Very nice photo !
I recommand viewers to click on it and open it in a better resolution.
I like the tones (the bell for instance) and the special mood.

Hello Pero and welcome from me too. The picture certainly is better at full size.
You say you're not impressed with this lens and I think you're the first person I've ever
heard say that. Your picture seems to have a yellowish tint and I'm wondering if the
lens has yellowed slightly. Not the amber coating, but does it appear yellowed when
you look directly through it at a sheet of white paper behind?

You might know this already, but the 1.4/50 Super-Takumar is well known for developing
a yellow cast when it's been kept in darkness for a long time. The yellow clears when
the lens is exposed to light - in particular UV light. There are lots of threads on the
forum about how people have cleared theirs - me included.


PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Olivier wrote:
Hello Pero and welcome. Very Happy

Very nice photo !
I recommand viewers to click on it and open it in a better resolution.
I like the tones (the bell for instance) and the special mood.

Hello Pero and welcome from me too. The picture certainly is better at full size.
You say you're not impressed with this lens and I think you're the first person I've ever
heard say that. Your picture seems to have a yellowish tint and I'm wondering if the
lens has yellowed slightly. Not the amber coating, but does it appear yellowed when
you look directly through it at a sheet of white paper behind?

You might know this already, but the 1.4/50 Super-Takumar is well known for developing
a yellow cast when it's been kept in darkness for a long time. The yellow clears when
the lens is exposed to light - in particular UV light. There are lots of threads on the
forum about how people have cleared theirs - me included.



Thanks for the welcome all, hope this reply with a quote works... Yes Peterq, thanks for the advice,
I am aware of the yellowish tint, will expose the lens to the sun for some time, I hear that gets
rid of it. I did kinda like it at the start, but it started to bother me.
I am by no means saying the Takumar is a bad lens, I still love it, love the soft felling it gives and
the astoundingly beautiful bokeh, but I used it for video and was not impressed by the sharpness,
maybe it was because of the bad light conditions...(we compared it to a Zeiss Planar 1.7, also 50mm)

Has anyone got a good tip for an old lens? Maybe in the range of/around 24mm?


PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pero113 wrote:

Has anyone got a good tip for an old lens? Maybe in the range of/around 24mm?

For which use and on which camera ?

Without knowing at present, I would say :
- Carl Zeiss Jena 20mm f4
- Konica Hexanon 24mm f2.8
- Nikkor 24mm f2.8
- Yashica ML 24mm f2.8
- Carl Zeiss Jena Distagon 25mm f2.8
- Tamron 28mm f:2.5


PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile hello all, im from Indonesia , i saw amazing photos in this gallery!!
I just joined the MFlenses and this is my first post.
These are some photos I took using nikkor manual lenses, maybe not so good but I'd like to share my enthusiasm using MF lens.

nikkor 85/1.4 ais



nikkor 180/2.8 ais



nikkor 20/2.8 ais


Last edited by kopi234 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total


PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Kopi ! Very Happy
Here are your photos.
First post has no pictures showing for antispam measures. Wink

Great pictures with great lenses !
Have a nice stay with us around here.

kopi234 wrote:
Smile hello all, im from Indonesia , i saw amazing photos in this gallery!!
I just joined the MFlenses and this is my first post.
These are some photos I took using nikkor manual lenses, maybe not so good but but I'd like to share my enthusiasm using MF lens.

nikkor 85/1.4 ais



nikkor 180/2.8 ais



nikkor 20/2.8 ais


PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Welcome here ! Very Happy
Here are your photos.
First post has no pictures showing for antispam measures. Wink




I was wondering why my picture did not appear, I think I made a mistake.
thank you mr Olivier. Very Happy


PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Nice to see your beautiful pictures!


PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Welcome! Nice to see your beautiful pictures!


thank you mr atilla,
I am so glad my photos appreciated and I hope to learn something from you.


PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sure we always learn from each other, this is main goal of this forum share information and learn.


PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty new to this excellent forum. And I've only been shooting with my Nex C3 in about a month.

Here is one of my best pictures so far (my crazy sister in law painted the leaves on the bush in the background some days before).

Sony Nex C3, Helios 44M-6, F2



PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That picture looks a little soft to me, Jutland. I love the colors and the expression on the girl. Her eyes are incredible and would make any portrait stand out. Still, maybe this was a bit mis-focused?


PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@themoleman342, I agree. It seems a bit soft. I'll have another look at the original to see, if it was during postprocessing/resizing og just misfocused.


PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just checked the original, and it is misfocused.

Here is another picture from the same series - out of camera, no postprocessing, only cropping and resizing. It seems sharper.

Unfortunaly the expression in her face isn't as nice as on the misfocused one, and the wind has blown more hair in front of her face. Oh well - the soft one will do.



PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all members on this MF forum, im new here .

Helios 44M-6 + 3x macro ring f5.6

Helios 44M-6 f4
Wooden apple is my work on lathe, wood of plum

Biometar 4/120 f8
Rail station in my town


Last edited by pepes on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:37 pm; edited 2 times in total