Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Battery and light seals replacing on my Olympus 35RC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Battery and light seals replacing on my Olympus 35RC Reply with quote

Long time awaiting in the queue, the OLY35RC has been fixed this morning.

As usual, the first step was a cleanup of the inside removing all the old sealing. It was quite difficult because someone previously tried to reseal it but without using the proper materials. The old seals were glued with epoxy cement. With some patience, the inside came out very clean:

I use to put first the seal next to the hinge:

and afterwards the two seals on the latch end:

to end with the rail seals:

Once the seals replaced, just a matter of dropping in a fresh battery. My Oly has an immaculate battery holder, so the easy way is to put an adapter ring on a 1,4 Zinc-air battery and try the camera:

And that's all, folks! Smile

Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a seal kit that you bought specific for that camera or is it generic material that you cut to fit?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for this guide!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:
Is that a seal kit that you bought specific for that camera or is it generic material that you cut to fit?

No, it's not specific. I buy the material from Jon Goodman, who sells a cheap kit with several thikness and printed instructions. One kit can reseal some 8-10 cameras. I cut the shapes with a cutter.
He is on eBay: Click here to see on Ebay.

Not difficult but somewhat tricky until you get the feel...

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Many thanks for this guide!

You're welcome Attila, I'm glad if this can help any other colleague in the forum. Smile

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fantastic little camera. I still have to replace the light seals on my Ricoh 500G. I have the kit already, just need a free weekend Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Jes. Your Oly is reputed to be one of the best fixed lens rangefinders. Probably the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Jes, and doesn't the camera look very smart, wow! Interesting that the door seals are on the door and not in grooves in the camera, I haven't seen one like that before. Tell me about the battery collar - is it home-made? I'll be needing to replace the PX625 in my Yashica soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puplet wrote:
What a fantastic little camera. I still have to replace the light seals on my Ricoh 500G. I have the kit already, just need a free weekend Smile

It has taken me several month until I got a spare one Wink..
Good luck with yours.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Congrats Jes. Your Oly is reputed to be one of the best fixed lens rangefinders. Probably the best.

I hope so, it has to overpass the Minox 35ML (which has given me a lot of fun) and the Olympus XA...

I'll drop in a roll tomorrow and I'll be trying it along the week.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb tutorial! this oly shine like new, a beauty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Great work Jes, and doesn't the camera look very smart, wow! Interesting that the door seals are on the door and not in grooves in the camera, I haven't seen one like that before. Tell me about the battery collar - is it home-made? I'll be needing to replace the PX625 in my Yashica soon.

Hi Peter,

No, it's not homemade. I bought one at the beginning of the mercury battery tales, to a person in the UK (paulbg@ukonline.co.uk). It's made on brass and works very well, but since then I've been using other alternatives. I keep that one in the toolbox, to do quick tests.
A nylon toroid (the ones used in plumbing) uses to be as good as this one, keeping the battery centered.
The brass one cost me 5 GBP (a bit expensive to my taste) shipping and a fresh battery included.

Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
superb tutorial! this oly shine like new, a beauty

Thanks Poilu, I cleaned the outside with metal cleaner.... Smile

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's come up really well, Jes. Makes me want to clean some of the grunge off one or two lenses that have arrived recently.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Very timely instructions as I bought one today!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks! Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
Very timely instructions as I bought one today!

Good luck with yours!.
Feel free to ask if you have any doubt....

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done! Thanks.

Excellent cam, btw!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Very nicely done! Thanks.

Excellent cam, btw!

Hi Carsten, I recall some nice B/W pictures taken with yours and published not so long in the forum...

Jes.