Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Backup CD Failed - Lost Images
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Backup CD Failed - Lost Images Reply with quote

Well, I had the blue screen of death come up on my computer, and
I backed up from an emergency disk that had the basic computer
code for Windows, as well as the software that I had
on the computer.

Unfortunately, when I put in the image backup CD, it FAILED.

So there are quite a few digital images (probably about 90 images)
that are no longer available to me. I am going to see if recovery
software will be able to get it. Sad

A large part of my "files" are transparencies, so I am grateful for that.

Don't count on CDs for backup. The CD was only 3-4 years old,
but it was toast.

I have already been thinking about devoting even more time
to transparencies from 35mm and medium format.
Perhaps this is a sign for me to go forward with my plans.

Last edited by Laurence on Tue May 19, 2009 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch Surprised

Ok, I know it's too late, but a handy hint for a better life:

Back up to external 2.5" USB hard disks. Two of them. They are dirt cheap now and huge capacity. After backup, place one in your desk drawer, and the other in the garage or other outbuilding. Backup up at least weekly.

CDs are plastic made down to a price in China usually with inferior materials. Hard disks are cheap too, but impossible to make with anything less than absolute precision engineering and top quality parts. Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
Ouch Surprised

Ok, I know it's too late, but a handy hint for a better life:

Back up to external 2.5" USB hard disks. Two of them. They are dirt cheap now and huge capacity. After backup, place one in your desk drawer, and the other in the garage or other outbuilding. Backup up at least weekly.

CDs are plastic made down to a price in China usually with inferior materials. Hard disks are cheap too, but impossible to make with anything less than absolute precision engineering and top quality parts. Wink

Definitely! I had the largest proportion of my digital images on a Buffalo 1 terabyte external hard drive, so those were saved.

I simply forgot about the CD with the images on it. Even so, I am surprised how it failed after such a short amount of time.

I have already "paypaled" to get a duplicate 1 terabyte drive as an additional backup.

Last edited by Laurence on Tue May 19, 2009 9:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:
Sorry to hear this Larry. And yes, this may be a message for you to pursue your plans. I would suggest this.

You have experienced what I tell people about all the time. Be redundant with your backups. I back up to 2 other machines, I have images on my main machine and CD. Can't have things in to many places...

Anybody want a Sigma SD14? I have a smaller digital camera that
is just as capable in the Minolta A-1. I have decided to go
almost 100% with transparencies. I like them better, I have more
fun with them - I like the anticipation to see if I got any keepers -
and most of all I won't lose them in analog form. Cool

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree I back up all my images and anything else I think is important to 2 computer hard drives and a third external drive , its a giant pain in the arse but I learned the hard way after both my Pc's died within a week, the Toshiba external drive saved the lot. I may have lost some stuff but thankfully nothing important or that couldn't be downloaded, its thesame old story, back up, back up, back up Shocked Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

Definitely! I had the largest proportion of my digital images on a Buffalo 1 terabyte external hard drive, so those were saved.

Phew! Them Buffalo's are great devices. When they save your ass, you just wanna kiss 'em!

Quote:
I simply forgot about the CD with the images on it. Even so, I am surprised how it failed after such a short amount of time.

They suffer from oxidation, even the better brands these days which are generally just 'badged' Chinese stuff Sad CD Re-writeable CDs generally fair slightly better from an archival performance point of view, but even they won't last forever. Even the 'silver' music CDs which you buy as albums in Music stores back in the 80s and 90s are suffering "CD rot" due to the layers parting Sad

Quote:
I have already "paypaled" to get a duplicate 1 terabyte drive as an additional backup.

Good move Very Happy Your stuff has to be preserved and protected. For the world to lose your photos would be a crime Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad news! good it is 'only' 90 pics
a relative had his laptop stolen at home and lost 3 years of digital pics
I guess nobody would care about a box full of negatives or photos album

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ALL of you! I'm making strides to get the backup to the backup.

Actually, I'm serious...anyone want an SD-14? Not a mark on it, plus
it's already been used enough to know that it is a good one. I'd rather have a
Pentax-A 120/4 macro for medium format. If I "missed" the SD-14
later, no big deal, I would just go get one from KEH again.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodak Gold is the only archival CD or DVD I'd trust. Everything else fails sooner.
Even with KG, I'd have another backup somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I backup my best photos on both two USB units and DVDs.
I replace DVDs with new ones every two years.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Kodak Gold is the only archival CD or DVD I'd trust. Everything else fails sooner.

Is it still available ? I not seen any many years ago.

I have good experience with Verbatim DVD disks too.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Farside wrote:

Is it still available ? I not seen any many years ago.

I have good experience with Verbatim DVD disks too.

Kodak Gold is available again http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11747-Kodak-Gold-CD-DVD-media--safe-storage-for-up-to-300-years.html
Luckily I had plenty of KG CDs to tide me over.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my first CDs around 1995 they are still readable without any problem, I found locally ! Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imation CD/DVD is also good - at least so far so good for me.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this was already mentioned, I just skimmed the posts, but there are always online storage solutions. Many have 10mb upload limits but unlimited total storage. If you need bigger upload sizes there are ones you can pay for, for very little each month.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should also consider off-site storage of your images, to guard against the unexpected(eg. fire, flood, break-ins and others) where your entire process storage system may go without possibility of recovery.

cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry to hear this - I design systems for a living and try to convince clients about doing tertiary back-ups, it's always sad when something like this happens...

Probably the best on-site system is a RAID array - with multi-striping, unless the entire array is physically destroyed, it's hard to lose anything - I now use one and also avail myself of 'cloud' remote storage... It's weird to think that I have no idea where my files actually live anymore!

http://www.drobo.com/

Doug

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, Larry!

I have switched from CD/DVD back-ups to a system of three (!) different USB-hard discs which are stored at different places.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you get the second tera hrive, please use some kind of automated backup proced, don't just copy yourself files around. One day maybe you'll be tired or sick and you WILL do something wrong. There's a book i've enjoyed reading alot on this subject, it's called the dam book (digital assessment management). I think in the mean time there's a second edition published. You may want to read it too.

ps: you were serious about that sigma? I'd be very interested in a foveon camera Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently encountered an interesting problem (which I still have no explanation). Seems like CD/ DVD burnt by certain burners cannot be read by certain CD/DVD readers. The company I am working in recent upgraded our computers by batches. Some of the CDs/DVDs created earlier cannot be read by some of my colleagues computers but I am able to read them in my.

Perhaps all is not lost. Try using another DVD reader/player. Maybe the info is still there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
I have recently encountered an interesting problem (which I still have no explanation). Seems like CD/ DVD burnt by certain burners cannot be read by certain CD/DVD readers. The company I am working in recent upgraded our computers by batches. Some of the CDs/DVDs created earlier cannot be read by some of my colleagues computers but I am able to read them in my.

Perhaps all is not lost. Try using another DVD reader/player. Maybe the info is still there.

+1

also besides trying in other drives, clean both the cdrom itself and cdrom-drive lens (I use Eclipse and Pec-pads) and try again. Ubuntu (linux) can read some cdrom Windows cannot; linux cdrom-read algorithm has more error retry/recovery features.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

siriusdogstar wrote:
my_photography wrote:

+1

also besides trying in other drives, clean both the cdrom itself and cdrom-drive lens (I use Eclipse and Pec-pads) and try again. Ubuntu (linux) can read some cdrom Windows cannot; linux cdrom-read algorithm has more error retry/recovery features.

SUCCESS! I cleaned up the CD disk and also "blew out" the cdrom drive, and cleaned off the laser-lens.

IT WORKED! I HAVE MY IMAGES BACK!

I can't thank all of you enough for the great tips. And Siriusdogstar, I am indebted to your advice. This is great. I wasn't going to cry forever about losing about 90 images, but on the other hand it is a joy to know they are back and intact. Smile

I have already puchased on-line backup space and copied all images to that site. I also have a secondary 500GB backup external disk besides the original. They are both set to do incremental backups whenever an image file (jpg, tiff, psd) is created on my computer.

I also have purchase space on Zenfolio.com to start an online photography web page site.

Again, thanks all for the support and advice.

As a side note, I sold my Sigma SD-14 soon after the inception of this thread. So, I'm sorry that I wasn't able to sell to someone on the forum. The Sigma was a FANTASTIC piece of gear; however, I have to feed my addiction to medium format, and with funds being low, it calls for giving up things to get other things. Confused

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

SUCCESS! I cleaned up the CD disk and also "blew out" the cdrom drive, and cleaned off the laser-lens.

Congrat. May this never happen to anyone of us here again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Laurence wrote:

Congrat. May this never happen to anyone of us here again.

Amen on that, my_p!