Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A Beginner's Guide to Panorama Stitching
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only spotted this now and must say - breath-taking panoramas and a great guide, Tobias! Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just started to dabble with panoramas and stumbled onto this program
it's free and it surprised me, quick and easy to use
Microsoft Image Composite Editor
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ICE/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:

Thank you Wolverine.
Just downloaded in 64 bits version fir my Windows 7 pro 64 bits.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

Thank you Wolverine.
Just downloaded in 64 bits version fir my Windows 7 pro 64 bits.

So Olivier...have you tried it yet?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
So Olivier...have you tried it yet?

Just tried it.
You are right : it's very quick and not bad at all.
Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparked by tobbsman's guide, last summer I did about 20-25 trial panoramas before I felt safe enough with the workflow to sell the idea of a BIG panorama to a client.

Result #1: I am right now in the process of cleaning (as in retouching people's faces) from a cityscape panorama consisting of no less than 2,208 frames shot with a 70-200/2.8G Nikkor (at 200mm) and Nikon D700. The resulting file is about 30 gigabytes as a Photoshop PSB, and that's with all layers flattened. If printed at 300dpi, it would make a print about the size of 18 meters x 7 meters. This photo goes to the client who is a major newspaper in Finland.

I also shot frames for my personal use, including a cityscape panorama of about 6 gigapixels shot during blue hour, on June 28th (one of the longest days of the year). This panorama was shot with a Carl Zeiss Planar 85/1.4 ZF. I will post the results on Gigapan.org once I am done with retouching some blending errors.

Result #2: In early August, I shot a 302 frame panorama, 360 degrees horizontal 180 degrees vertical, using a prototype Nokia N9 with a Carl Zeiss lens responding to 28mm f/2.2

Due to the wide-angle lens (28mm equivalent on full frame) the physical size of the panorama is limited, but there was plenty of room to hide jokes into the composition Smile As the Nokia N9 was a prototype with firmware features still waiting for production version we encountered some problems during the shoot, but overall I am very happy with how the panorama turned out. I am also happy to participate in developing the camera features of the Nokia N9, which seemed a very capable phone. My assisting photographer was distracted by Angry Birds though Smile

See for yourself, in full detail: http://gigapan.org/gigapans/fullscreen/88573/

Nokia and Carl Zeiss also made a video of the project, filmed and directed by the talented people at http://www.wearedesignstudio.com/. The making of -video will be published I think within a couple of weeks (or sooner). In the video, you can expect lots of scenery from Finland as well as myself in front of the camera. I haven't seen it (yet) and I don't know if I am thrilled or paralyzed by the idea of seeing myself on the making of video Laughing

I really look forward to sharing the results here, and I will post links as soon as publishing of results is permitted by the clients.

Vilhelm

Last edited by Esox lucius on Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:15 am; edited 8 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, congratulations, another one of us getting famous! Very Happy
And working for Carl Zeiss... I can think of quite many worse things than that! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Hey, congratulations, another one of us getting famous! Very Happy
And working for Carl Zeiss... I can think of quite many worse things than that! Laughing

Thank you Orio and let's see about that fame part if it turns out to be a benefit or a drawback Embarassed as I do not (yet) know how I performed in front of the camera Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sadly, all equipment on loan were prototypes, so compensation did not include any hardware from Carl Zeiss or Nokia.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:

Sadly, all equipment on loan were prototypes, so compensation did not include any hardware from Carl Zeiss or Nokia.

You can answer them that it's really a pity that you can't have that new prototype phone, but that you'll accept, just for this time, a copy of all their Z lenses for compensation Rolling Eyes Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
You can answer them that it's really a pity that you can't have that new prototype phone, but that you'll accept, just for this time, a copy of all their Z lenses for compensation Rolling Eyes Laughing

Yes wouldn't it be lovely? I actually told them that since I already have the 85/1.4 ZF they need not include it in the shipment. No reply so far Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am speechless, there's too much epicness in this thread both from the explanation and the images themselves that i am seriously starting to love this kind of thing.
It's a joy to read this tutorial as well as to look at those spectacular images, beautifully captured.
Respect!
Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today i tried to compose a panorama shot of the high school i attended but i ended up with a few alignment errors from the stitching program.
I both used Microsoft ICE and Hugin with the same set of pictures but i always get errors, maybe different from one software to the other, but they're there.
What's the problem? Am i not leveled enough with my camera? Do i have to do something manually while in the software?
I did 5-6 series of pano shots and i can't get rid of this flaws, do you have any suggestion?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey !
It's difficult to give suggestions without seeing the frames.
Most problems with beginners appear with overlapping
the frames too little.
I suggest just try again the same shot again with about 1/3 overlapping. Hugin shouldn't have any problem then with aligning pictures...

Cheers
TObias

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I overlapped about half of the frame yesterday and 1/3 today but still i get some errors while stitching. They are not huge but they mainly occur at straight lines and are quite noticeable.
I got a link for my last pano, take a look if you care. You can probably understand what's wrong with it.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1087972/Panorama%20Liceo%20Scientifico.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, that's normal with freehand panos ...
nothing shocking to me Smile

Now it's up to your Photoshop skills Wink

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this was an unwanted answer Very Happy
I suck at photoshop, i could barely understand Lightroom, i guess i will have to learn a bit of it for these pano shots.
What about tripod? Is using it a way to not have this sort of flaws in post?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet the problem is the slightly different camera angle between the shots. One should straighten all the pieces up and then stitch them together.
Am i right?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With using a panorama-tripod-head you will totally get rid of this flaws. The panorama will
be rendered perfectly without errors.

BUT 99% of the time I do not carry a tripod with me ... so I have to rely on my freehand shooting
technique.

Once you have got the right skills, this flaws become very rarely, ...
so I think just practicing more is the key Wink

with landscapes one is mostly safe with freehand work
if you mostly want to shoot architecture, better use a tripod ...

Cheers and success
Tobias

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many , many thanks!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb Tobias, thank you! Very Happy