Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[1056x963] Three crops from a Planar 1.4/85 picture
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: [1056x963] Three crops from a Planar 1.4/85 picture Reply with quote

This is the whole image:

The following crop (only the hand is in good focus, sorry) shows how in spite of the very flat lighting (there is no directl light only diffused light in the scene), the inherent micro-contrast of the Planar 1.4/85 has given life and depth to the skin of the girl's arm, but still respected the perception of the softness:

The objects are rendered with their depth - other lenses like the Canon 2/100 would make objects look more flat in this type of lighting:

The older woman skin has a more pinkish complexion (compared to the girl's orange complexion) and the Planar respects the difference, it does not render skin with the monotone "ham tone" that other weaker lenses give:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks fantastic !
Zeiss Planar isn't made in M42, isn't it ?

Cheers
Tobbsman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobbsman wrote:
looks fantastic !
Zeiss Planar isn't made in M42, isn't it ?

No, unfortunately the new version of this lens is available in Nikon and Pentax mounts only - for the moment.
Only the Planar 1.4/50, Distagon 2.8/25 and Distagon 2/35 are available in M42 mount for the moment.
However Zeiss has announced a new mount available soon, so perhaps there will be another option for the 1.4/85

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a sharpness!...
Nice samples, Orio.

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
in spite of the very flat lighting

that's the key!
in good lightning or studio flash, all lens are good
but in normal or bad situation, Zeiss catch the light better
nice shot with superb color and great bokeh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poilu has it right
This lens delivers in any situation.
Not just for speed but picks up beautiful accurate color regardless of light.
A must have. I hope to try my "new" one next week.

BTW
The lens is not the only one with contrast in this shot.
These two women are like figs and fish Laughing
I don't wish to say the old woman is ugly not at all (beauty is mostly inside of course).
It is however easy to say , time has no mercy.
I think that this woman needs to shave as often as I do Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

BTW
The lens is not the only one with contrast in this shot.
These two women are like figs and fish Laughing

Yes Laughing and I am SO happy with this shot exactly because of this!
I love this kind of subject contrast in the photos: for me, they are able to "make the photo" alone.
I search for that whenever I can:
- child that mimick adult roles
- old men that play
- an elegant person in a casual context
et c.
With this shot there is an added "bonus", that is, the scene looks really believable. I took another one with two similarly aged women, but this works better, because rich noble Roman ladies had lots of young female servants for them. So this is a scene that was most certainly common in the high class villae of Roman élite.
Only regret I have, I should have used a deeper DOF, to have the young girl more in focus also... but it was a super fast snapshot, I was afraid that they could notice me and look at me, and that would have absolutely ruined the effect!