Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1) Mouse on a Stick 2) Moss Tendrils
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: 1) Mouse on a Stick 2) Moss Tendrils Reply with quote

One of my favorite flowers is the seed head of the Western Anemone (Pulsatilla occidentalis).

Although I have a reverence for the scientific names for genus and species, the moniker of Mouse on a Stick seems appropriate!

This is a scan of a 35mm slide, and I'm afraid my scanner doesn't do very well. The original slide is a jaw-dropper (to me), and I have a nice 11x14 drum scanned print.

But, at least you can see the nice open meadow here, which is the habitat of these festive seed heads!

Mouse on a Stick

Leicaflex SL2
Leica Elmarit 35/2.8
f:22, 1/30 second
Fuji Velvia 100F

Last edited by Laurence on Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just lovely. In the time I have seen those I did not know that they had such a quaint nickname! Thanks Larry fantastic shot. I don't suppose we will hear the story of how the Leica system got away from you?

Last edited by F16SUNSHINE on Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those wild "meadows" are always a source of such delight. Down South of here the tall yucca flower heads are known as "God's candles". A hillside of them is enough to get you to believe. This spring (just around the corner) I am going back to some unique habitats in our area and look for the Cat's whisker lily again. Flowers were my first love. Embarassed Embarassed

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW

.... did I say WOW?

WOW!

-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely image. composition colour subject....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful as ever.

We have so few wild meadows left on this side of the pond so it's great to see yours.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic image (shot with a great lens Wink)!!!
(I like the title...)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fantastic!! Even though you said the scan doesn't do it justice, it just looks so vibrant!! Another brilliant shot. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent photo - in every aspect! I would like to see it on large format... Cool

BTW this lens doesn't lose sharpness at F/22? Sometimes sharpness is better at F/11 - F/16 than at F/22 - but the DOF can be insufficient... No matter - your photos are great Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnificent!!!
It looks like a painting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another simple WOW!! Larry! Many thanks for made my day!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Laurence, you can make it better..... just make it bigger! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
Lovely image. composition colour subject....

Yeah, the composition and the colours are just perfect! Surprised

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic photo. The locations at your pictures are also always wonderful. I would like in this place.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, it's all about the Mouse on a Stick, but aren't those red flowers
Indian Paintbrush? I can take it if I got it wrong, Larry... Laughing

Absolutely lovely photo! (Thinking of abbreviating to just ALP! on your
photos.) Wink

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote: Just lovely. In the time I have seen those I did not know that they had such a quaint nickname! Thanks Larry fantastic shot. I don't suppose we will hear the story of how the Leica system got away from you?
Okay, okay! I'll tell you about the Leica Loss soon! Confused

patrick wrote: Those wild "meadows" are always a source of such delight. Down South of here the tall yucca flower heads are known as "God's candles". A hillside of them is enough to get you to believe. This spring (just around the corner) I am going back to some unique habitats in our area and look for the Cat's whisker lily again. Flowers were my first love.
I would love to see some shots of the yucca heads, and especially the Cat's Whisker Lily! Bring 'em on!

Orio wrote: WOW!
Good enough for me, Orio!

hacksaw wrote: Lovely image. composition colour subject....
Thanks, as always, hacksaw!

Richard wrote: Wonderful as ever.
We have so few wild meadows left on this side of the pond so it's great to see yours.

I am so happy that we have a wealth of mountain meadows here; I guess we are pretty lucky...

Carsten wrote: Fantastic image (shot with a great lens)
(I like the title...)

Yes, that 35 Emarit was a cracking sharp lens.

Hooper wrote: fantastic!! Even though you said the scan doesn't do it justice, it just looks so vibrant!! Another brilliant shot.
Thank you, Hooper! By the way, the avatar is GREAT!

Maxim wrote: Excellent photo - in every aspect! I would like to see it on large format...
BTW this lens doesn't lose sharpness at F/22? Sometimes sharpness is better at F/11 - F/16 than at F/22 - but the DOF can be insufficient... No matter - your photos are great.

Hi Maxim, well I have it on an 11x14 which is sort of large format. Regarding the f:22...yeah, I guess that stopped down like that a lens loses some of its sharpness...but with a lens that's already pretty good, it shouldn't matter much at least on smaller images? And you were right - I needed f:22 for this image. I guess I could have pointed the camera differently, but I wanted the flowers to be as close as possible while retaining infinity.

Himself wrote: Magnificent!!!
It looks like a painting.

Thank you! The natural colors made it easy to have a lot of color in the image!

Attila wrote: Another simple WOW!! Larry! Many thanks for made my day!
Hey, if I can make your day, I'm happy!

Juanma wrote: Come on Laurence, you can make it better..... just make it bigger!
Funny, that's what my old girlfriends use to say...so I would just hand them a magnifying glass. Razz

naplam wrote: Yeah, the composition and the colours are just perfect!
Stonefish wrote: Fantastic photo. The locations at your pictures are also always wonderful. I would like in this place.

naplam, the place was a wonderland to me...so many places to stop and look.

Bill wrote: Sure, it's all about the Mouse on a Stick, but aren't those red flowers
Indian Paintbrush? I can take it if I got it wrong, Larry...

Hi Bill! Well....the red flowers are actually seed heads of Saxifrage. But they certainly hold the color same as Indian Paintrbursh. Then, the blue flowers in the distance are Lupine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had a break a while ago, so slapped another trannie on the scanner, to see what comes out...this time, for some unexplainable reason, the 35mm slide was decent enough! Shocked

Didn't put a border around this one, but what the heck...I'm out of time.

This was a nightmare to expose, so I bracketed five (!) stops, since I already was on the tripod. Turned out that the -1 underexposure from the meter was the keeper. You are right, Orio...a bit of underexposure doesn't hurt a bit in some cases. Wink

This bridge takes you from the south side of the river to the north side, and then you can follow for about 13 miles upstream to come to the glaciers that feed this beautiful flow of water.

This was taken during snowmelt, obviously, with the normally crystal clear water taking on the usual aquamarine tone from the melting snow and ice. I like the color-wheel contrasts and complementary tones between the green jungle of the temperate rain forest, and the blue and white tones of the rushing river.

In this case, the Fuji Provia was PLENTY saturated enough because of the INTENSE coloration of this jungle-like area. I think that Velvia might possibly have been a lesser choice here, because it could take the color over-the-top. I actually sat down and changed out the partly used roll of Velvia in the camera for a roll of Provia - how's THAT for being picky? Laughing

This area is where I basically spent most of my youth and into my teenage years. A good place, full of life and peace.

Moss Tendrils

Leicaflex SL2
Summicron 50/2
f:11.5 @ 1/30th
Fuji Provia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<speechless>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a scene from an Indiana Jones movie! Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOPS. I also started a thread with this new image...couldn't delete this one in time. Sorry about that!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colors are exquisite, the yellow-green of the ferns, the water, but I don't
think I'd want to drive my car across that bridge, nosirree.

Another ALP! Smile

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beautiful scene, beautifully captured, and the Provia looks the right choice!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
A beautiful scene, beautifully captured, and the Provia looks the right choice!

My thoughts exactly!