Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Your favorite fast prime 35er on FF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever decision you will take, just make sure you don't buy a Distagon 1.4/35.

(I don't want competition to get my 4th copy) Laughing

(just kidding) Wink

(maybe) Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
Sorry to be so boring, but my vote is for the Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 and 35mm f/2 in that order.

which version of the 1.4/35 do you mean? and no, it's not borring!

I owned a black-barrel, metal-focusing-ring, non-AI version, that had been AI'd by Nikon. It looked just like the one discussed here (scroll down to the 35/1.4):

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/6070nikkor/wides/35mm.htm

Interesting. According to this site, the optical formula of the 35/1.4 remained unchanged during its entire product run.

I sold the lens years ago, during a time of too much photo gear and not enough money. I have doggedly held onto my 35mm f/2, though (also a non-AI, AI'd by Nikon), and refuse to part with it. It's also an excellent optic, IMO.

I also feel it's only fair to add -- and this is for the Canon FL/FD shooters -- that my all time favorite 35mm lens for that mount is the FL 35mm f/2.5. I took some spectacular shots with that lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

what the hell are you doin' with four 1.4/35er distagons?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:
Orio wrote:

what the hell are you doin' with four 1.4/35er distagons?

I have three Smile

I often photograph live events, and often in situations where the equipment is not really safe.
After I damaged my Planar 2/135 with a fall from the camera (due to crappy adapter), I realized how difficult it can be to replace these old lenses, since they are not build anymore. I found a replacement Planar 135, but with some difficulty and at a steep price (I later resold this second copy to Sandy when I needed to urgently raise money).
I realized that it can pass months or even years before you can get another one. We are not talking of 50mm Planars that are sold everywhere.

The 135 Planar accident made me want immediately a spare copy for the lens that I use most: the Distagon 1.4/35. So after the first copy (which was an AE Germany), I got a MM Japan copy for a spare.
The AEG normally sits on the Canon EOS and the MM copy on the Contax cameras.
The third copy (another AE Germany) simply came because I ran across an absolutely like new beautiful condition copy that I just could not leave in the store, knowing that probably never in my life I would run across another "like new" Distagon 1.4/35.

The perspective would be completely different if Zeiss made this lens again - such as it's the case of the Distagon 2/28 or 2.8/21.
But Zeiss now makes a Distagon 2/35 only, and who knows if and when a new 1.4/35 Distagon will ever see the light of the day...

I think this is also the reason why the Distagon 1.4/35 have so quickly disappeared from Ebay, while until only a couple of years ago they were very common. People has become aware that this lens is irreplaceable, while with the Hollywood Distagon, for instance, they know they can always buy a new Z lens if they can not find a Contax used one.

-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instant update:
Rumours say that a new Z series Distagon 1.4/35 prototype was tested by Erwin Puts on a Nikon D3X camera:

http://forum.mflenses.com/new-z-distagon-1-4-35-coming-t21470.html#184893

I think the BPR (Bullshit Probability Rate) is very high here, but in case the rumour is true... Very Happy

-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite for now is Summicron 35/2. I now have 1st and 2nd generation, and while 2nd gen is obviously more perfect optically (sharper corners, less flare), the 1st gen with separate hood produces more 3D looking images to my eyes. Now I am torn...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Sorry to be so boring, but my vote is for the Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 and 35mm f/2 in that order.

I concur. If you have the money, get Nikkor 35/1.4; otherwise, go for /2.0. The /2.0's rendering is on the rough side, but not that bad (not that it matters much for a fast 35mm). /1.4 is supposed to be perfect, although I don't have first-hand experience with this lens.

Also, Yashica ML 35/2.8 is great, better even than Nikkor 35/2.0; but it's not what I'd call 'fast'. Nikkor 35/2.8 is supposedly not worth looking into.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

I concur. If you have the money, get Nikkor 35/1.4; otherwise, go for /2.0. The /2.0's rendering is on the rough side, but not that bad (not that it matters much for a fast 35mm). /1.4 is supposed to be perfect, although I don't have first-hand experience with this lens.

Also, Yashica ML 35/2.8 is great, better even than Nikkor 35/2.0; but it's not what I'd call 'fast'. Nikkor 35/2.8 is supposedly not worth looking into.

Well, OK, in defense of the Nikkor 35mm f/2.0, here are a couple of images I just took with mine -- which is the Nikkor O.C non-AI (converted to AI by Nikon):

Meet our cat, Dusty: Canon XS, onboard flash, ISO 200, f/8

100% crop

No PP was done to the images in any way, yadee yadee.

Anyway, to me, the images I get from my Nikkor 35mm f/2 are just about as good as anyone could reasonably expect. I guess I should really take some shots with the Nikkor 35mm at f/2 -- but my cat has run off, so it will have to wait. Shocked

Last edited by cooltouch on Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
... BPR (Bullshit Probability Rate) ...

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Pentax M 35/2 and new DA 35/2.8. Especially DA is great lens with macro 1:1 capability. From begining of this year I have Summicron 35/2 and in my opinion that's great portrait lens - on my Pentax digital camera.

Sharp from f2 and with very 3D effect.

Pentax PENTAX K20D,Leitz 35mm f/2 Summicron-R 1/200s f/2 at 35.0mm iso250

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piotrek wrote:
I had Pentax M 35/2 and new DA 35/2.8. Especially DA is great lens with macro 1:1 capability. From begining of this year I have Summicron 35/2 and in my opinion that's great portrait lens - on my Pentax digital camera.

Very nice pic but Leitz lenses are'nt exactly cheap...I'm assuming the OP asked the question of which 35mm is best because he will then go out and buy whichever one gets the most "votes". Leitz lenses are good but I've never seen a Leitz lens yet that can be considered cheap or affordable so if he has a limited budget, and most of us have, then Leitz lenses can be effectively ruled out on grounds of their extremely high prices, even when used. However, if you have a Leitz lens you want to sell for peanuts please let me know first! Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contax Distagon 1.4/35..

tf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piotrek wrote:

Wow! That's fantastic shot!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Piotrek wrote:

Wow! That's fantastic shot!

+1!

@orio
...now i understand! it's like hoarding glow-lamps before the have been taken away from the market! Laughing ...just a little bit more expensive!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
[Very nice pic but Leitz lenses are'nt exactly cheap...I'm assuming the OP asked the question of which 35mm is best because he will then go out and buy whichever one gets the most "votes". Leitz lenses are good but I've never seen a Leitz lens yet that can be considered cheap or affordable so if he has a limited budget, and most of us have, then Leitz lenses can be effectively ruled out on grounds of their extremely high prices, even when used. However, if you have a Leitz lens you want to sell for peanuts please let me know first! Laughing

Distagon 1.4/35 is not cheap too Smile
I agree that Leitz lenses are expensive, but some older versions are in quite reasonable prices.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piotrek is correct - Distagon 1.4/35 is expensive but ..

it's worth of the money..

tf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
Piotrek is correct - Distagon 1.4/35 is expensive but ..

it's worth of the money..

tf

Shocked WOW Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an online comparison between the Distagon 1.4/35 and the Summilux-R 1.4/35, some time ago. I don't remember the link. The reviewer's conclusion was that the Distagon is better than the Summilux, especially wide open (which is where in general differences happen - most lenses are good at f/5.6 ...)

As for me, I'm not going to look for that URL anymore. I have a lens (the Distagon 1.4/35) that lets me take night pictures like this one without a lens hood:

The Distagon 1.4/35 does not flare even under torture.
What should I ask more for?

As for the performance of the floating lens for close range correction:

I really have the lens of my dreams. Every photo that I take with the Distagon 1.4/35 satisfies me completely. No other lens I have, in no other focal lenght, is able to give me this satisfaction rate and these quality results.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I really have the lens of my dreams. Every photo that I take with the Distagon 1.4/35 satisfies me completely. No other lens I have, in no other focal lenght, is able to give me this satisfaction rate and these quality results.

priest: "...do you orio what to get this distagon to your wife, till death will do you apart?..."

orio: "yes, i want!"... "but i have to admit that there are two more of them waiting for the death of this one!... i hope that's no problem for this love!?" Laughing Laughing Laughing