Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Your favorite fast prime 35er on FF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Your favorite fast prime 35er on FF Reply with quote

i know, there already enough threads dealing with 35ers. but i want to know, what your favorite fast 35mm prime lens is (regarding FF).

i am selling my flek and my vario-elmar (which, in a test i made, was the best among my 35ers) at the moment, caus i need money for my 5D purchase. and it's really hard to sell the elmar, caus it performs great. i will sell my qbm-distagon too, caus it performed not as i expected.

i am not a friend of hoarding to many lenses, so my plan is, to save some more money and getting a fast prime 35er.

so, what is your favorite. pleas try to post only ONE lens!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am posting for orio, who would say:

Distagon 1.4/35 Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:

Distagon 1.4/35 Laughing

me2 Cool

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

distagon 1.4/35

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered the CZ Distagon 1.4/35?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
supahmario wrote:

Distagon 1.4/35 Laughing

me2 Cool

Attila wrote:
distagon 1.4/35

...BORRRRRRING! Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
Have you considered the CZ Distagon 1.4/35?

no, not yet! but thanks for your advise!... Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leica! Wink or the Zeiss Distagon 1.4/35. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Leica! Wink or the Zeiss Distagon 1.4/35. Laughing

but which leica? as someone posted (don't know who... could be hinnecker) the summicron is a bit soft in the edges on FF! you mean the summilux?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be so boring, but my vote is for the Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 and 35mm f/2 in that order.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Favorite is also the distagon 1.4/35.
I have sold mine as it was QBM and had the odd tri-blade aperture.
Performed flawlessly stopped wide open but, was very limited beyond that.
Add to that a rarity factor and high value it had to go.

Currently I use a Leica Summicron 2/35. As Henry said it is not the best wide open but, I LOVE IT!!
The Corners are a bit soft open. The lens also vignettes open but both issues clean up quite well by 3.5 and are gone at f4.
Consider the percentage of the time you will be using the lens opened up.
Most if not all fast lenses show some flaws at the big apertures (the Zeiss 1.4/35 is not exempt here either).

The shots with the Summicron have an air and dimentionality that is difficult to find in WA lenses.
I actually love how smoothly the edges fall off and darken when used open.
It's a great lens for close-in environmental portraits and has become my normal lens on the 5D.
Mine is the latest non Rom Version with the retractable hood (Germany).
They can be found for half of what the Distagon goes for if you really search it.

This is a throw away shot were the keeper had greater DOF
You can see clearly the fall-off of the summicron here.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.4/35 MC Flek.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Sorry to be so boring, but my vote is for the Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 and 35mm f/2 in that order.

which version of the 1.4/35 do you mean? and no, it's not borring!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
2.4/35 MC Flek.

great lens, but i asked for a faster one!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say the Nikon 35mm f1.4...Its a very versatile lens that can stay on the camera most of the time...Some samples:

Last edited by DSG on Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about at wide open ? I have it too it is a decent lens like your samples says, but I remember it not so good at wide open . What is your opinion ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, but i am not familiar with nikon lenses! i know, that there are different versions like "N", "N.C.", "AI" or "AIs". which versions are you talking about? are they optically different, or not?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:
sorry, but i am not familiar with nikon lenses! i know, that there are different versions like "N", "N.C.", "AI" or "AIs". which versions are you talking about? are they optically different, or not?

Some of them different , some of them not, depend from each lens. AIS latest ones.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-153.html
http://www.cameraquest.com/aidaiais.htm
http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/nomenclature.htm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG, the colours and the sharpness of these pictures are outstanding. Very impressive!
I got the 35/1.4 and guess I have to take it out more often. Thanks for reminding me.

Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:

AIS is the newest of those. AIS were the last fully manual Nikon lenses before they switched over to AF lenses...You can find a review here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35f14ais.htm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Can not see that - 35mm f/1.4 Nikkor NON-AI is not that good, least the example I tested. Bad luck for me. It MUST be a bad adapter.

Last edited by mflex-on on Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all for your short nikkor-lesson!

any additional suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss Distagon 1.4/35
Leica Summilux 1.4/35
Leica Summicron 2/35
Nikkor 1.4/35

Each of these lenses will fascinate you for a while, I think. Wink

The first 35mm I got (I shoot with a 350D and 40D, so that's different) was the MIR-1b and I was amazed by it. Then I was thrilled by the fast speed of a Porst 1.8/35 and the good IQ of a Takumar 3.5/35. Then I got a Nikkor 2/35 from Orio and this became my favourite lens instantly, because it was as fast as the Porst (almost) and even better than the MIR or the Tak. Well, it was my fav 35mm until I got my first Leica lens, an Elmarit 2.8/35.
Then I have put the MIR-1b to my Zenit EM in the cabinet, the Tak 3.5/35 to my Spotmatic, sold the Porst and still was in a dilemma: I loved the Nikkor for its clarity, warm colours and speed (f2.0) and the Elmarit for it's neutral colours and generall IQ. I had the chance to shoot with a Nikkor 1.4/35 and was overwhelmed, but it was too expensive for me.
Not very long ago, I found a Leica Summicron 2.0/35 for a reasonable price. This 35 Cron amalgamated the Nikkor 2/35 and the Elmarit 2.8/35 and it offers a lot more.
So I sold my Nikkor (although I really liked it!) again and I think I will also sell my Elmarit.
The Leica Summicron 2/35 is the lens that lives on my MF-csm 350D as a standard lens. I can understand Andy when he writes: "I love it!"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:
2.4/35 MC Flek.

great lens, but i asked for a faster one!

http://forum.mflenses.com/which-fast-35mm-would-you-recommend-for-eos-5d-t21104.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all I returned to the Flek - best worth for money...