Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashinon 5cm f2 M42 preset - any thought?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Yashinon 5cm f2 M42 preset - any thought? Reply with quote

Hi all -

Just won the auction on FleeBay. I think for $50 incl. shipping is a pretty high price for that lens, but I really want it since it's so pretty and reminds me of the Auto Takumar 50/f2 which I like a lot Smile

This is the picture of the lens from the seller.

Anyone has any experience with that lens? How is it in term of IQ and contrast? Yashinon is a well known brand so I figure out that chances to get a good lens from it is pretty high.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, and I think quite uncommon.

This is an M42, but the earliest Yashica SLR had its own unique bayonet.
So this has to be from the earliest Yashica J-series, when Yashica switched to M42, maybe 1962-63

Maybe it came from one of these -

http://whitemetal.com/yashica/j3/index.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one and here is the samples. I think the PQ is quiet good consider its age.

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=31318

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I have one and here is the samples. I think the PQ is quiet good consider its age.

Hi Calvin - are you sure it's the right topic? I can't see any of your posts nor any mentions related to the Yashinon Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Very interesting, and I think quite uncommon.

This is an M42, but the earliest Yashica SLR had its own unique bayonet.
So this has to be from the earliest Yashica J-series, when Yashica switched to M42, maybe 1962-63

Maybe it came from one of these -

http://whitemetal.com/yashica/j3/index.htm

Yes, it's it! Mine is sexier though Smile Can't wait to have it then try it out!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar lens but chrome. Yours isn't a preset though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I have a similar lens but chrome. Yours isn't a preset though.

Hi - looking at the picture from seller, it seems a preset to me. Look at the aperture ring in the front of the lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aperture ring in front is unusual for other then preset, but it is called Auto Yashinon, wht means that it is not a preset. The A/M switch is protruding and only to be found, combined with auto aperture lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those weird in-between lenses - we could call it a semi-auto.

Asahi, Zeiss, and some others made this type for a while in the 1950's-early 1960's. This Yashinon must be one of the last of the type.

You set the aperture, and then cock the lens (that what the big knob is for). Until you cock the knob the aperture is manual. When its cocked the lens is opened to full aperture. When the shutter is tripped the pressure plate hits the pin (on M42's like this), shutting the aperture to the pre-set opening.

So, unlike a later automatic, this type requires you to cock it first in order for the "automatic" feature to work.

Advantage (apparently) - This mechanism can be made more robust than the later type. It isn't dependent on the weak springs and the need for dry-lubed shutter leaves, etc. You can give it a powerful spring to shut down the aperture.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
This is one of those weird in-between lenses - we could call it a semi-auto.

Asahi, Zeiss, and some others made this type for a while in the 1950's-early 1960's. This Yashinon must be one of the last of the type.

You set the aperture, and then cock the lens (that what the big knob is for). Until you cock the knob the aperture is manual. When its cocked the lens is opened to full aperture. When the shutter is tripped the pressure plate hits the pin (on M42's like this), shutting the aperture to the pre-set opening.

So, unlike a later automatic, this type requires you to cock it first in order for the "automatic" feature to work.

Advantage (apparently) - This mechanism can be made more robust than the later type. It isn't dependent on the weak springs and the need for dry-lubed shutter leaves, etc. You can give it a powerful spring to shut down the aperture.

You're right. It has the same mechanism as the Auto-Takumar where you have to cock the knob.

See link below. I have several of those Auto Takumar and I really love them. Can't wait to try the Yashinon and see which one is better.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/Auto-Takumar-55mm-F2.2.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ducdao wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Hi Calvin - are you sure it's the right topic? I can't see any of your posts nor any mentions related to the Yashinon Smile

My copy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually one of my fave lenses. I have never seen any diagram of it's composition, so I assume it's some typical variation of a 6 element double gauss design. I use it for portraits on a Canon 40D fairly frequently. It really renders quite nicely:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A neat piece of history. A bit of a step back for Yashica as the earlier, bayonet mount Pentamatic lenses had fully automatic aperture function.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I guess this is only true for the two standard 55mm and 58mm lenses and not throughout the Y bayonet lineup.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this lens also marked as Tomioka.

A certain eBay seller has several of them listed, the focus ring is silver, not black, but otherwise looks identical...if I thought I could get US$400 or more, I would sell my Yashica! Any takers? Smile
Click here to see on Ebay

I think this lens was not originally supposed to be a Yashica, but either an OEM lens (Takumar? Looks VERY similar) or sold as a third party lens, so it wouldn't have the proprietary Pentamatic mechanism.

BTW, I've a M42 Yashinon-R 3.5cm preset that looks exactly like the same lens in the Pentamatic mount. I assume Yashica, Tominon and the recently acquired Nicca camera company were probably rationalizing/rearranging all their different offerings at the time (very early 1960s)

I have to say the build quality on my 5cm is quite excellent, better than the later Yashinon DX lenses I've seen and owned. And, it looks pretty similar to the contemporary Tak, IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggboy wrote:
I've seen this lens also marked as Tomioka.

A certain eBay seller has several of them listed, the focus ring is silver, not black, but otherwise looks identical...if I thought I could get US$400 or more, I would sell my Yashica! Any takers? Smile
Click here to see on Ebay

I think this lens was not originally supposed to be a Yashica, but either an OEM lens (Takumar? Looks VERY similar) or sold as a third party lens, so it wouldn't have the proprietary Pentamatic mechanism.

BTW, I've a M42 Yashinon-R 3.5cm preset that looks exactly like the same lens in the Pentamatic mount. I assume Yashica, Tominon and the recently acquired Nicca camera company were probably rationalizing/rearranging all their different offerings at the time (very early 1960s)

I have to say the build quality on my 5cm is quite excellent, better than the later Yashinon DX lenses I've seen and owned. And, it looks pretty similar to the contemporary Tak, IMHO.

Wow that BIN price is insanely high for a 50mm/f2 lens! That same seller has at least 3-4 copies of the same lens. I wonder if he ever sold any of those at that price Very Happy

Well I can't complain too much for paying my Yashinon for $50 incl. shipping Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how this lens is almost an exact copy of the 55mm F/2 Auto-Takumar. Unfortunately the focusing goes the other way round, so it's not like Asahi Opt. Co. made this lens for Yashica.

(I know that at certain points in time the Takumars have been sold to other companies, such as Alpa and a few obscure Japanese makers which existed for a VERY short time).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the following link, Tomioka is the exclusive lens supplier for Yashica from late 1949.

http://www.tlr-cameras.com/japanese/Tomioka%20Lenses.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
I like how this lens is almost an exact copy of the 55mm F/2 Auto-Takumar. Unfortunately the focusing goes the other way round, so it's not like Asahi Opt. Co. made this lens for Yashica.

(I know that at certain points in time the Takumars have been sold to other companies, such as Alpa and a few obscure Japanese makers which existed for a VERY short time).

Hi All,

Quite right: the focus rings do turn in opposite directions. And when you have the two lenses side-by-side, there are lots of other small-but-significant differences that emerge. For example, the Yashinon is significantly heavier than the Tak, and the number of aperture blades is different. There are several other minor design differences as well. It's definitely not like the case of the Yashinon and the Tominon: those two are definitely twins.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to discover that some of the components of the Tak and the Yashinon, like the aperture-cocking lever, were sourced from a common supplier. (I'm not saying I know that to be true, just wondering aloud.) That sort of practice would seem to be consistent with what we know of the Japanese lens industry of this era.

The Yashinon (the Tak too!) is one of my favorites at this focal length and maximum aperture.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
From the following link, Tomioka is the exclusive lens supplier for Yashica from late 1949.

http://www.tlr-cameras.com/japanese/Tomioka%20Lenses.html

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. Based on the article and the resemblance between the Tominon 5cm/f2 and Yashinon 5cm/f2 I think we can safely guess that the latter is a rebadged of the former.