Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which lense pleases your wife or GF?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
I was impressed to know that, a part form my Planar 1.8/50, a wide angle Distagon 35/2.8 (kansalliskala) may work as well as an old tele Tair 300A (norland). I agree with qtmonster, using the lenses is a part of our relationships. And I am still quite curious to know which ones work for you the best to maintain the couple's harmony!

Straight off the bat, I love using the Minolta Rokkor 58mm F1.2. Wide open, the lens gives a flattering texture to the skin tone, not to mention the really smooth bokeh. Another glass that gives a similar vibe to this is the Super Takumar 50mm F1.4. I've only used the 7-element version, though notably people were commenting how the 8-element variant is much better.

Now normally, people don't recommend using wide angle lenses for portrait use, but I find no complaints when I used the Olympus Zuiko 28mm F2.0. It has a rather organic look to it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am pretty lucky. Two weeks ago my wife brought me a Zeiss lens and last week a Fujinon from a second hand shop without even asking me if I want it or not (of course I do). Usualy she calls to ask if lenses she finds are of my interest Smile
She likes big lenses the most, so Planar 100/2 would probably be on the top, because it produces likeable images too Smile
But, she always complains when I use the Olympus 24 2.8, because it looks so unproportionally small on 5D mkII.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammo wrote:

But, she always complains when I use the Olympus 24 2.8, because it looks so unproportionally small on 5D mkII.

So with her, size matters. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She prefers the Rodenstock Imagon 4.5/120mm for portraits of her..

A lovely "old" lady... she loves the "retro style" this lens glamourise...

and a bit sharper.. as you like... you can regulate the amount of effect by different aperture disks...

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is a beauty with Samyang 85mm too, I do remember for her pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Thanks from here for this compliment..

Guess her age... what do you think?

When you are wrong, you know, why she loves the lens... Very Happy

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great portraits hinnerker, I can see why ladies will like the soft 'glow'. They're like that! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

+1

I've looked at many images shot with that lens over the years and Henry's Samyang 85mm shots of his wife are some of my absolute favorites.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
Attila wrote:

Thanks from here for this compliment..

Guess her age... what do you think?

When you are wrong, you know, why she loves the lens... Very Happy

Cheers
Henry

I'm not Attilla, but since you want us to guess her age, I'm going to go way high and say 105 years old. Laughing

But seriously, one of the things I love about the Samyang shots is that the lens is so sharp that while it is clear that she is "older," the wel-defined lines of her face in no way detract from her beauty. If anything, I feel your photos highlight that a woman can be older and still an absolute knockout. For me, her "aged" look is very distinguished, like Sophia Loren. I personally find the Rodenstock creates a look that makes me question what it is hiding.

But she is the subject, and if my wife looked like her and that was the lens she liked best, I'd weld the Rodenstock lens to that 5D III body.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norland wrote:
Other half especially likes the colour and sharpness of pictures taken with the Tair 300A.
I'm inclined to agree with her, it's an excellent lens with weight its only real drawback.

Unfortunately, weight becomes more of an issue, both in lenses and partners, as we get older.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GF likes very much my Yashinon 50/1.7 which renders very well her skin.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see daggers coming out of her eyes! Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the best skin I've seen. So smooth and bright Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
I see daggers coming out of her eyes! Laughing

That's Polish love!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Daggers you say?

Well you can imagine Razz

I think that translates to she doesn't like the 55mm Super Tak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammo, it's an excellent relationship around photography! I'd say "sweet" unless a risk to sound too sentimental.

sammo wrote:
I guess I am pretty lucky. Two weeks ago my wife brought me a Zeiss lens and last week a Fujinon from a second hand shop without even asking me if I want it or not (of course I do).

hinnerker, thank you for sharing. Beautiful lady and you make great portraits of her and for her! As for women's age, rather often men are mistaken. Even ask "guess her age" may be a mistake in itself!

Are there female photographers in the forum? What would you say about male portraits and lenses which please your partner?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think that translates to she doesn't like the 55mm Super Tak

I would say, it is not about the lens. It's about: "I don't wish you to shoot me while cooking, when my hair is a desorder and I have not seen my face in the mirror a minute before!"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gf doesn't care what lens I use as long as the pictures come out sharp. Her attitude is you are the photographer, just do what you gotta do. She switched careers from nursing to makeup and hairstyling, so she can give me a hand at the studio. She was my first model and went with me at 2:00 AM sometimes to do a shoot. I think if she didn't have the zest to be in front of the camera and encouraged me to shoot and practice I may not have rediscovered my passion of photography nor pursued it.

I have over 70 lenses, so yeah, my gf goes hey enough lenses - no? I sort this out by buying her new makeup kits and making sure the bills are paid first.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I have a problem.. I didn't think thoughtfully.. I got a new lens and was thinking of hiding it.. but then.. it's this big and doesn't look like any of the ones i already have..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impolite to guess age Sad but I try looks 45, in real over 60 , she has beautiful bon structure, eyes and hair, timeless beauty.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% of women do not age that well. I'm sure she was a knock-out when a young woman.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
Guys, I have a problem.. I didn't think thoughtfully.. I got a new lens and was thinking of hiding it.. but then.. it's this big and doesn't look like any of the ones i already have..

Put it in your pocket and claim that you are just glad to see her

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maldaye wrote:
vanylapep wrote:

Put it in your pocket and claim that you are just glad to see her

The wisdom being shared in this thread is priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, as a wife my husaband is just happy that I am happy. I always approach my lenses as bargains , and point out the fact of what it would cost me if I had to buy brand new AF gear. He is a lot like me and appreciates the history of an item and the fact it is still functional is even better. I have a budget and stick to it, so I show him respect by not blowing the budget ( for you single guys its a different story)

You men don't seem to get jealous over "things", a wife or GF that is feeling neglected because you have a new toy, will always be against that new toy. Laughing Not necessarily you but jealous of the "toy"...its a fine line in a womans world. For a woman in a relationship, your time with her is valuable, and I know you guys get caught up with toys and things and work. Involve her if you can with your hobby she may make the effort or may not. I also understand we can be control freaks, so stand strong when you need to and work it out with communication!

As for my husband and being a model,He does not like being photographed, so I really have no comment in that regard. I love his face (all of him actually),for me it shows character and wish he would allow me too try and get the best photo with what lenses I have.

You men have it lucky you age very well outwardly,like a fine wine,we all know it's what's inside that counts, and capturing that essence in a photo through the eyes the facial expression, is what I would want to acheive in any personal photo I could take. I like Henrys images for that reason...its not just a photo of a wife, they are playfull fun images,the choice of lens is perfect.

Tromboads, image is classic Australian, for I love you dear now get out of my space. Very Happy She could have been holding the knife which means something entirely different. Laughing

Time to stop my "mothers speech" and get back to lenses and cameras. Laughing