Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really a challenge at all- I wanted to see how such a lens works.

35 was a revelation to me as well, mostly for it's improved all-around use over the 50, which can be a bit on tight side in some situations. I still know very little about them. My starter was an old "S" 35 2.8 that was since traded off. Current 35 pet is a bit later dual coated (O.C.) f2, which is still a fast 35 to me. Yours seems to be a bit sharper on distant subjects, but not by a lot. I still haven't really used mine above f5.6, which seems pretty sweet to my eye.

You are right about the confusing bokeh- I see quite a bit of that from my 50mm f1.4 A/I-s, even stopped down.

What gets to me about my current 35 is the minimum focus performance- which I like a lot. I still have to experiment with filters. IIRC, the L1-A seems to help with that over water haze, but I'm not entirely convinced that's the right nikon filter #. I'll have to dig around a bit later on.

Looks like you got a good one, with a personality all it's own, so congrats to you.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISCO-Göttingen Westrocolor 1.9/50 and Schneider Kreuznach Tele Xenar 3.5/135 - both hidden in a lot of "crap" lenses sold locally:

The Tele-Xenar has a crazy complicated "Sockel" with Exacta bayonet, and you can adjust both aperture as well as exposure time (!) directly on the lens even though there's no shutter built into the lens (anyone knows for which cameras this was made? Certainly not for the ordinary Exactas ...). As expected the perfomance is quite mediocre - better than the Ennalyt 2.8/135 but nowhere neraly as good as the Carl Zeiss Jena 4/135mm Sonnars.

The Westrocolor 1.9/50mm on the other hand seems to be quite capable - performance an rendering at first glance look quite similar to the classical Nikkor 2/50mm, even though I haven't yet compared them side-by-side. Interestingly, the performance of the newly acquired ISCO Westrocolor 1.9/50 is quite different from an ISCO Westagon 1.9/50 I already had ... Does anyone know more about these ISCO and Schneider 1.9/50mm lenses and their optical construction?

S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a Petri 55mm f1.4.

Paid 150 Euros for what (hopefully) looks like a good clean copy on fleabay.

Now need to hunt for an adapter either to Fuji X or Nikon.

Probably I have overpaid but it has been a not easy to find. What do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2024 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pabeu wrote:

I'm not intro Petri lenses as they are quite uncommon here in Switzerland - so I can't comment on your specific buy Wink.
However if you've longed for that specific lens and if you really enjoy either simply possessing it or really useing it, you probably haven't overpaid ...!

Enjoy it Wink

S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon 35mm f3.5 FL
Canon 100mm f3.5 FL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pabeu wrote:

not far from what I paid for my copy (also from eBay)...

I purchased my adapter from here:

https://www.ebay.com/str/rareadapters

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2024 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enna Munchen Macro 35mm f2.8

I don't have any big expectations of this lens, but I was able to get it for free, so why not Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pabeu wrote:

There’s a seller on eBay called rareadapters.com who sells the adapter.
150€ may be a bit steep, because you need the adapter as well, but it’s worth it IMO. Great lens!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperberry farm wrote:
pabeu wrote:

not far from what I paid for my copy (also from eBay)...

I purchased my adapter from here:

https://www.ebay.com/str/rareadapters

Thank you! ?

I will be taking a look into those asaptors.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
pabeu wrote:

There’s a seller on eBay called rareadapters.com who sells the adapter.
150€ may be a bit steep, because you need the adapter as well, but it’s worth it IMO. Great lens!

Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konica Hexanon AR 57mm f1.4. I really wanted the f1.2, but couldn't justify the 5 times the price!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_tibbs2004 wrote:
Konica Hexanon AR 57mm f1.4. I really wanted the f1.2, but couldn't justify the 5 times the price!

Pretty nice lens indeed! As with the Minolta MC 1.4/58mm (which indeed is >60mm), the slightly longer focal length coupled with the f1.4 aperture and the "conservative" design (6 lenses only) result in a smoother bokeh than with the 1.2/50mm lenses I know. Apart from this, it's mechanically well made (although less smoothly focusing / aperture than the Minolta), and surprisingly cheap here in Switzerland (usually around CHF 40-50.--, with an SLR included).

I don't own the AR 1.2/57 neither, and haven't yet shot with it either, although I know two persons owning it. They occasionally apperar here, for around CHF 500.--, but that's a little steep in my opinion ... especially since I have the CaMiNi counterparts Wink

S

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edixar 55mm f/1.8. A fantastic lens in a great shape but I wish I know WHO made it. I suspect it to be a disguised Auto Yashinon but no solid proof so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno who made it, but your result looks nice (wasn´t to early for europeans and japanese makers to join business , i guess your lens might be from 60´s by it´s look?)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
mr_tibbs2004 wrote:

Pretty nice lens indeed! As with the Minolta MC 1.4/58mm (which indeed is >60mm), the slightly longer focal length coupled with the f1.4 aperture and the "conservative" design (6 lenses only) result in a smoother bokeh than with the 1.2/50mm lenses I know. Apart from this, it's mechanically well made (although less smoothly focusing / aperture than the Minolta), and surprisingly cheap here in Switzerland (usually around CHF 40-50.--, with an SLR included).

I don't own the AR 1.2/57 neither, and haven't yet shot with it either, although I know two persons owning it. They occasionally apperar here, for around CHF 500.--, but that's a little steep in my opinion ... especially since I have the CaMiNi counterparts Wink

S

I used to have the Hexanon 57/1.2. It’s a very nice lens but I’ve sold it because of its value. If I’d run into one for let’s say 150€, i would buy it again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MD-iii 50/1.2 in great condition.

Somewhat of an impulsive purchase, the price was pretty good in my opinion (220 CHF including shipping).

Verdict so far: beautiful chunk of glass although the lens itself is very compact for it's f-stop. Renders quite soft at 1.2 which I like since there are other lenses for maximum sharpness. Mechanically it can't keep up with my MC 50/1.4 due to it's inferior material combination. But the focussing is a bit stiff anyway, maybe it will loosen up with time (the lens was apparently not used much).

I am especially looking forward to shooting at night with this! I am currently building a set of "soft"-ish lenses for video and this one might fit well with the vivitar 28/2 with it's aperture stuck open.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marius.zaech wrote:
Minolta MD-iii 50/1.2 in great condition.

Somewhat of an impulsive purchase, the price was pretty good in my opinion (220 CHF including shipping).

Verdict so far: beautiful chunk of glass although the lens itself is very compact for it's f-stop. Renders quite soft at 1.2 which I like since there are other lenses for maximum sharpness. Mechanically it can't keep up with my MC 50/1.4 due to it's inferior material combination. But the focussing is a bit stiff anyway, maybe it will loosen up with time (the lens was apparently not used much).

Certainly a nice combo (XD-7 plus MD 1.2/50), especially if the XD-7 doesn't suffer from a sluggish shutter release! I have both the MD-II and the MD-III version, and their performance on 24MP FF is identical. My MD-III looks / feels like new; the MD-II did look as good as the MD-III, but focusing was quite stiff whe I got it. I dimantled the lens, re-lubing it with small amounts (!) of a low viscosity lubricant, and now focusing is smoother than with my MD-III version.

Enjoy the lens, and share some images pls!

S

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOIGTLÄNDER SKOPAREX 3,4/35,
VOIGTLÄNDER DYNAREX 3,4/90,
VOIGTLÄNDER SUPER-DYNAREX 4/135

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokyo Koki Tele-Tokina 1:4.5 f=200mm (early version).

Images will follow Wink

S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
VOIGTLÄNDER SKOPAREX 3,4/35,
VOIGTLÄNDER DYNAREX 3,4/90,
VOIGTLÄNDER SUPER-DYNAREX 4/135

WOW

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Tokyo Koki Tele-Tokina 1:4.5 f=200mm (early version).

Images will follow Wink

S

I had this one years ago and it proved a reasonably capable lens for its vintage but really nothing out of the ordinary. Strengths: It was small and light and had a tripod mount.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally. A Cosinon 55mm f1,4. A lot has been written and said already about that one.
I was given the lens for free, but beside the rather heavily used cosmetic condition, the lens was also in a bad mechanical condition. Aperture was stuck wide open and ring loose. Glass was dirty but no scratches or mortal haze. Focusing ring loose. So I gave it to my lens guru for a full CLA and I'm now with a perfectly functional and clean copy. (don't look at the dust on my usual bad cellphone pics...) The CLA set me back about US$ 100. I found to be worth it.
The filter ring is slightly damaged so I put a 55mm ring from an old filter without the glass onit to get a good thread. Don't ask about the lady's hair rubber. That's just me.
I use an APSC 1,6x system, so I can use the longer hood taken from some zoom for the +/- 90mm actual focal length. That will certainly help with the flare problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor-P 105mm f/2.5 (Sonnar type). First impressions of this lens are very good, will show more later!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Nikkor-P 105mm f/2.5 (Sonnar type).

Some years ago I got one fom the same 27XXXX SN range, plus an earlier one still marked with "10.5 cm", probably from the 15XXXX Sn range. I have also two Pre-Ai Xenotar-type 105mm/2.5 Nikkors for comparison. One of the Xenotars ones seems to be a lemon, the other one is much better.

caspert79 wrote:
First impressions of this lens are very good, will show more later!

Apart from better border / corner resolution with the Xenotars I could not see much differences between the Sonnartype and Xenotar type, notably no better bokeh or generally "smoother image characteristics" when comparing them side-by-side.

To me the Sonnar type was a bit a disappointment - neither the unique image characteristrics of my Zeiss Contax RF 2/85mm and 2.8/180mm Sonnars, nor not the excellent resolution of the Minolta MD 2.5/100 ...

I'd love to see what you find comparing the two variants, Sonnar Nikkor 2.5/105mm and Xenotar Nikkor 2.5/105mm.

S

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few of the nikkor 105 f2.5.

The Sonnar is over-rated, and much hyper over-priced.

Out of all the variants I've tried, the last AI-s manual focus version appears to be the best I/Q-wise in my experience.

All of the 105's I've tried were very good to excellent with near subjects, close to minimum focus distance. The P version I had here (probably a Xenotar type) was a bit on the soft side wide open, or near it at distances over 10 feet/ 2.5 meters.

For a 105, the A/I-s version seems to be best suited to all around use. It is very sharp, and very well color corrected.
Good wide open performance in most normally lit scenes.

-D.S.