Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Not only its rendering is good; it is also excellent as a landscape lens (corner to corner performance). https://forum.mflenses.com/55-58mm-comparison-incredible-petri-surprise-t84789.html

Thanks. I have shot a bit with it and I concur, it is a lovely lovely lens. Like most of us here I have a collection of vintage lens in this range - and I admit that I was surprised how much I like it's performance.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just won Voigtländer Super-Dynarex 135mm f4 (DKL) for 12eur

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject: Just got this Canon FL 50mm 1.4 Reply with quote

Canon FL 50mm 1.4. Mostly shot at f/2. Has some weird bokeh at times, lots of coma in the corners wide open. I can see why it's not popular, but it is actually better than most old lenses wide open. A couple of the closeup shots I did were wide open.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got this Canon FL 50mm 1.4 Reply with quote

2manylens wrote:

Canon FL 50mm 1.4. Mostly shot at f/2. Has some weird bokeh at times, lots of coma in the corners wide open. I can see why it's not popular, but it is actually better than most old lenses wide open. A couple of the closeup shots I did were wide open.

Welcome 2manylens, your first post won't show your pictures, so I'll quote to show them. All subsequent posts will now show your pictures. Do you have a picture of the lens? There are at least 2 versions of the lens, possibly 3, but the first reported version with a 6/4 optical scheme does not seem to have been found or verified in the wild.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Just got this Canon FL 50mm 1.4 Reply with quote

Older Soligor 135mm f3.5.

Quick test shot at wide open and ISO 400 seems alright. It wants to fringe in strong back-light, and will probably need a hood.
49mm filter thread diameter. Lens looks like what someone here called looking like a 55-58mm on an extension tube.
I can't tell if it's coated or not- if it is, it's awfully thin coating(s). It is fairly compact for a 135mm. I should compare it size-wise to a few other similar focal lengths around here.
I'll have to fabricate an aperture indexing tab for it so's I can test further without getting muddled on exposure Wink
I got myself another fairly good migraine going just trying to sort through all the Soligor info on this sub-forum.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome 2manylens! Where in the World are you located? Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, my Takumar 200mm f/3.5 has just arrived. It definitely is an impressive lens, despite being 60 years old it looks almost new and all mechanical parts move like it just left the factory. I will share some images soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Ok, my Takumar 200mm f/3.5 has just arrived. It definitely is an impressive lens, despite being 60 years old it looks almost new and all mechanical parts move like it just left the factory. I will share some images soon.

Mine too. Looks like it was never mounted on a tripod. My first impressions were good but I haven't used it since. Looking forward to your images.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added a Minolta MD 75-200 f/4.5 to the collection. It arrived, was unpacked and packed back up again immediately. Front and rear lenses were covered with fungus!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage_Photographer wrote:
Added a Minolta MD 75-200 f/4.5 to the collection. It arrived, was unpacked and packed back up again immediately. Front and rear lenses were covered with fungus!

Sadly it's one of the Minolta lenses prone to fungus. RokkorDoctor may know more about cleaning the front and rear lenses ...

S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Sadly it's one of the Minolta lenses prone to fungus. RokkorDoctor may know more about cleaning the front and rear lenses ...

S

Sent it straight back for a refund.

Now have a Tokina SD 70-210. f/4-5.6 en route for which I paid the princely sum of £2.99 and £3.89 postage!
I'm assured it has no fungus too.

Should arrive Wednesday or Thursday.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

S

Sent it straight back for a refund.

Now have a Tokina SD 70-210. f/4-5.6 en route for which I paid the princely sum of £2.99 and £3.89 postage!
I'm assured it has no fungus too.

Should arrive Wednesday or Thursday.

I've use that Tokina on a Olympus OM-10 and it's really good on Kodak Elite Chrome!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina SD (version 1) 70-210 4.5-5.6 arrived today and initial impressions are pretty positive.

It's quite small and light and is very smooth zoom (push/pull) and focus. Aperture rings have nice clicks too.

Images look to be nice and sharp from f/8 onwards (at 200mm) but a little soft wide open.
f/5.6

f/8.0

f/11

f/13

Focus point for each were the stamen pollen grains.

Zooming right in at f/5.6

All in all an excellent result for just £2.99 and £3.98 postage!

Camera used was Fuji X-T4 (26MP).

Last edited by Vintage_Photographer on Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Pretty good zoom lens results!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just added this little baby.
Sigma 28-70 Zoom-Є f3.5-4.5 - quite compact and smaller than the MD 35-70 though not up to that lens's sharpness (but much cheaper too!).

Wasn't able to find much about this lens online - most reviews are for the later UC version.

Another eBay bargain at £6 plus £3 postage.
Initial impressions are fairly positive. Annoyingly zooming in or out doesn't maintain focus but in terms of sharpness of image whist not ground breaking is perfectly acceptable. A little CA on occasion but nothing horrendous.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick test shot at 70mm f/8 - just a cactus on the window sill.

Pixel peeping at 100%

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
pepperberry farm wrote:
Petri CC Auto 55mm f1.4 by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

(now I'm waiting on an adapter for it)

Splendid lens.
You will enjoy it.
Tom

the adapter finally arrived - I am totally smitten with the Petri 55/1.4:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperberryfarm/albums/72177720318264745

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperberry farm wrote:

Such a wonderful lens.
Your images are excellent and show it off well.
This and the Petri CC Auto 55mm f1.8, and the 55mm f2 - are IMHO - among the very best fifties from their era, and hold up splendidly still today.
Congratulations
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 8:47 am    Post subject: Nikkor 35mm f1.4 Ai Reply with quote

I bought this lens around last Christmas from a seller in Haifa, Israel. And then it was shipped to Australia, because of a mistake made by Israelian Post. It was an ordeal, to say the least, especially for the seller, to have the lens returned to his place. It finally arrived after more than six months in transit and I picked it up today from the post office.
Personal note: When buying from international sellers, always recommend the seller to write "Österreich" instead of Austria. It makes the post clerks frown since they have never heard of the country and then they look it up and put it right. Australia and Austria is the most common mistake in international shipment.

The exterior looks like the lens got some good use during its lifetime. Must have been taken on and off a million times, as the little remaining paint on the bayonet indicates. However, the lenses are clear, no fungus and almost complete absence of visible dust. Focussing is smooth and aperture snappy. The 35/1.4 varies extremely in price and goes up to EUR 1.500,--, this one was (probably due to its shabby look) really very attractively priced. I think I got a good one. First light tomorrow on the D610 Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Nikkor 35mm f1.4 Ai Reply with quote

ZuikosHexanonsandVivitars wrote:
I bought this lens around last Christmas from a seller in Haifa, Israel. And then it was shipped to Australia, because of a mistake made by Israelian Post. It was an ordeal, to say the least, especially for the seller, to have the lens returned to his place. It finally arrived after more than six months in transit and I picked it up today from the post office.

Sad to hear - but at least finally all the problems were resolved ... Wink

Personal note: When buying from international sellers, always recommend the seller to write "Österreich" instead of Austria. It makes the post clerks frown since they have never heard of the country and then they look it up and put it right. Australia and Austria is the most common mistake in international shipment.

Sounds like "Switzerland vs Swaziland" ...

The exterior looks like the lens got some good use during its lifetime. Must have been taken on and off a million times, as the little remaining paint on the bayonet indicates. However, the lenses are clear, no fungus and almost complete absence of visible dust. Focussing is smooth and aperture snappy. The 35/1.4 varies extremely in price and goes up to EUR 1.500,--, this one was (probably due to its shabby look) really very attractively priced. I think I got a good one. First light tomorrow on the D610 Wink

Some years ago I was lucky to find a rather nice sample of the later AiS (yours ius Ai) 1.4/35 mounted on an equally nice Nikon F3. The seller - a small photo shop in Southern Switzerloand - was asking about CHF 350.-- for the combo, but since I already had a F3 he agreed to sell me the AiS 1.4/35 for arounf CHF 200.--.

The lens certainly is a "character lens" designed for reportage purposes, and should be used as such. It shares some characteristics with the Nikkor AiS 2/24mm which is a rather lousy (or characterful) lens as well. For landscapes the late 2.8/35mm from any reputed manufacturer are better suited (Canon FD, Konica AR [Var II], Mamiya E/EF, Minolta MD, Nikkor AiS, Yashica ML ... you name it). However I'm sure the AiS 1.4/35 can result in extraordinary images when used wide open - especially b/w or monochrome!

Have fun Wink!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Nikkor 35mm f1.4 Ai Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
...but since I already had a F3 he agreed to sell me the AiS 1.4/35 for arounf CHF 200.--.

Stephan, again and again I´m baffled by the deals you´re able to haul in. I wish I had the time to roam the photographic stores in Vienna more often for such bargains.

Now this lens, sagittal coma flare, lateral chromatic aberration, soft veiled image all open, I´ve read it all. Nikon itself is talking lenghtily about the great history of this lens and efforts put into developing it, but is rather modest in praising its performance.

https://imaging.nikon.com/imaging/information/story/0027/

Chapter IV Wink

However, it was (together with the shortly later introduced AiS version) in every press photographer´s bag in the late 70s and 80s and it is an iconic item. I´m simply driven by a curiosity to see what it can do in my own hands. Luckily, I´m not relying on it as my only 35mm lens. Landscape and whatnot, I have a lot of excellent , though slower, alternatives in this focal range - nevertheless, fun I will have with this one, thanks! Wink

stevemark wrote:
...the Nikkor AiS 2/24mm which is a rather lousy (or characterful) lens as well.

By the way, why? Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikkor 35mm f1.4 Ai Reply with quote

Looks like a nice lens.

www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/ai3514.html

Probably a bit of S/N overlap here, which seems to be a common occurrence with the 35mm line of SLR Nikkors. (yours seems to be a tiny bit early for a 3+ screw type, according to this data)
I concur with the assertation that the K parts were used up on later A/I lenses- it happened a lot in the 50mm line.

Do post some wide open minimum focus distance samples when you get a chance. Mr. Green

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikkor 35mm f1.4 Ai Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
...but since I already had a F3 he agreed to sell me the AiS 1.4/35 for arounf CHF 200.--.

Stephan, again and again I´m baffled by the deals you´re able to haul in. I wish I had the time to roam the photographic stores in Vienna more often for such bargains.

As I said many times before - I usually do NOT search for a certain lens, but tend to buy what's available at a good price. That was pretty easy some ten yeras ago, but now has become quite difficult since I have quite a lot of lenses already (difficult to spot a "new" one locally). PLUS the prices for much of the rarer / faster stuff has gone up quite a bit.

Now this lens, sagittal coma flare, lateral chromatic aberration, soft veiled image all open, I´ve read it all. Nikon itself is talking lenghtily about the great history of this lens and efforts put into developing it, but is rather modest in praising its performance.

That was a problem for all manufacturers including Canon (EF 1.4/35), Konica (AR 1.8/2Cool, Minolta (AF 1.4/35) and Nikon (pre-AI / K / Ai / AiS 1.4/35). Even Zeiss and Leica did struggle to make an excellent 1.4/35mm for their C/Y and R lineup. Only when Sigma produced its first 1.4/35mm we got a really good fast wideangle!

However, it was (together with the shortly later introduced AiS version) in every press photographer´s bag in the late 70s and 80s and it is an iconic item.

Sure. I'm fully aware of that Wink

I´m simply driven by a curiosity to see what it can do in my own hands. Luckily, I´m not relying on it as my only 35mm lens. Landscape and whatnot, I have a lot of excellent , though slower, alternatives in this focal range - nevertheless, fun I will have with this one, thanks! Wink

Same here Wink

stevemark wrote:
...the Nikkor AiS 2/24mm which is a rather lousy (or characterful) lens as well.

By the way, why? Very Happy

Same reasons as for the 1.4/35mm Nikkor above. At f2 it's simply lousy, and even stopped down it lacks the performance of the f2.8 versions. While an 1.4/35mm at f1.4 is pretty nice to have a wideangle perspective combined with (relatively) smooth background, a 2/24mm at f2 doesn't really "dissolve" the background any more. It really was designed for low light when color films had ISO 100 at most ...

S

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
pepperberry farm wrote:

Such a wonderful lens.
Your images are excellent and show it off well.
This and the Petri CC Auto 55mm f1.8, and the 55mm f2 - are IMHO - among the very best fifties from their era, and hold up splendidly still today.
Congratulations
Tom

thank you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:38 pm    Post subject: Nikkor 35mm f1.4 Ai Reply with quote

Hi Doc, challenge accepted Wink

First few shots with the 35/1.4 Nikkor on D610. I´ve developed the following images from the NEF files without any changes, though Active D-Lighting is on AUTO and I left that as it is. The images are sized down to 1600x1068.

1/2500 sec @ f1.4 & ISO100 and around closest focus distance. Manage light and angle towards the background right, you might get rewarded. Notice there´s already plenty of sharpness, though it´s veiled. Playing a little bit with dynamic range and contrast would yield a quite acceptable result. I think that applies to most of the following images.

100% crop from above

1/1000 sec @ f1.4 & ISO100 again near close focus distance. The background is about a meter away from the object and it starts to show rather in an unpleasant unruly way. Again veil, but also sharpness, and a bit of luck with the bumblebee. In order to get an agreeable image, some correction in exposure and contrast, probably saturation, might suffice.

100% crop from above

1/1250 sec @ f2.8 & ISO100. Again close to min focus distance and from a similar angle like #1, but stopped down 2 clicks.

100% crop from above

1/4000 sec @ f1.4 & ISO100. Daylight landscape wide open. Rolling Eyes

100% crop from above

100% crop from similar image but stopped down to f2. The haze is mostly gone and it shows quite some detail. Already at this aperture, it is good and actually much better than my Olympus Zuiko 35mm f2, which shows a whole lot more haze at f2! I made a series down to f/11 and it continues to improve right up to this aperture, though from f2.8 - f4 only in corners and edges. The center is already pretty fine from that aperture onwards.

Following three images are a 100% crop comparison between f1.4 and f2.8
1/3200 sec @ f1.4 & ISO100

100% crop from above

100% crop from similar image but stopped down to f2.8

1/2000 sec @ f1.4 & ISO100. Again something no one in his right mind would do with this lens, though I find it fought well. Here I used Active D-Lighting to brighten up the moss-overgrown tree trunk.

My thoughts, after the first few images: it needs some good practice to get to know the lens thus make sense of it. It´s not an easy going bloke and a creature of the night. It performs well from f2.8 onwards and is then pretty comparable in its performance with a lot of other, slower 35ers from that aperture onwards. F2 and f1.4 should be used under appropriate low light conditions and will most likely perform only well under these conditions, though you might get lucky while experimenting in daylight with them.

35mm is an ideal focal length and certainly far more practical than the (similarly fast) 50s that time already offered. Immensely usable for a press photographer, who´s goal is first to catch the moment, second to win the beauty contest. With that in mind, Nikon designed this exceptional lens, and the pro´s took the two clicks down with gladness.