Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
LittleAlex wrote:
Doc Sharptail wrote:

I still prefer the 135 Q f3.5 for it's compact size, and again, rendering.

Well - but the price?..

I haven't recently checked for values on the 3.5- it's not as in demand as the 2.8.
Mine came in another package deal with various bodies and lenses- it may have been with one of the F-2's.

-D.S.

Same price, however shipping cost is as much or more Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm slowly adding to my Pearl River lens kit. The makers of the system were clearly fans of the Nikon F system, and this lens is perhaps their answer to the 43-86mm Nikon lens. I've never shot the Nikon lens but have heard that it has quite strong distortion. This lens does too, going from fairly strong barrel distortion at 45mm to fairly strong pincushion distortion at 90mm.

This lens first appeared as a 2 touch lens, similar to the Nikon lens (and having very similar styling), but it appears in 1982 to have been converted to a 3 touch setup.

My initial impressions are that the lens is no world beater, but is competent for what it is, in terms of being perhaps the first Chinese zoom lens design. If I had known the exact performance of the lens prior, I would still have bought it Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

I'm slowly adding to my Pearl River lens kit. The makers of the system were clearly fans of the Nikon F system, and this lens is perhaps their answer to the 43-86mm Nikon lens. I've never shot the Nikon lens but have heard that it has quite strong distortion. This lens does too, going from fairly strong barrel distortion at 45mm to fairly strong pincushion distortion at 90mm.

This lens first appeared as a 2 touch lens, similar to the Nikon lens (and having very similar styling), but it appears in 1982 to have been converted to a 3 touch setup.

My initial impressions are that the lens is no world beater, but is competent for what it is, in terms of being perhaps the first Chinese zoom lens design. If I had known the exact performance of the lens prior, I would still have bought it Smile

The treatment of the 3 different gripping surfaces is certainly interesting Wink
I wonder if this was intentional, or (more likely) good old throw nothing away manufacturing economics~ which is certainly not limited to the camera/lens business...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second leg of my Chinese lens budget blowout arrived on the same afternoon. This lens is basically the same as the Pearl River Lens, but for some reason is labelled 'Mountain Brand', and is another clue that the manufacturers of the Pearl River line were big fans of the Nikon F system. I don't have a diagram for this lens, and no intention to disassemble it as it is in beautiful condition. It is a 5/4 design as per the S-201 manual, this is about all that is known. The later Xenotar version of Nikons lens is also 5/4. The rear element of the this lens is larger than you might expect for a Sonnar type scheme, but that's all I can say really. The styling of the lens is also strongly influenced by Nikon. This lens also appears in two different stylings, this 'Mountain Brand' styling, and a somewhat different 'Pearl River' badged styling.

The wide open performance of the lens does not disappoint.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the category "thrift store".... Was visiting a large thrift store here in town to ask if they would come pick up an old bed frame I have (yes they will). Knowing that they also have a small camera section I went to take a look.

An Olympus OM-2 Spot Program labeled "defective" (or maybe it just needs batteries?) with a 50mm 1.8 (version 4), also thought to be defective. They couldn't get the aperture to open and close. Well, it helps if you know which lever on the lens mount to move, or which button on the side of the lens to press. The lens is a bit dusty on the inside but otherwise just fine.

The whole bundle, 5 euros. I told them "hey, this lens works fine and is worth more than 5,- by itself". Answer: "eh, no problem you can have the bundle for 5. That's what it is priced at". OK, sold!

So I scored myself a possibly functional OM-2S and a lens for a fiver. For that kind of money I will take the camera as a display piece even if it really doesn't work.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

The second leg of my Chinese lens budget blowout arrived on the same afternoon. This lens is basically the same as the Pearl River Lens, but for some reason is labelled 'Mountain Brand', and is another clue that the manufacturers of the Pearl River line were big fans of the Nikon F system. I don't have a diagram for this lens, and no intention to disassemble it as it is in beautiful condition. It is a 5/4 design as per the S-201 manual, this is about all that is known. The later Xenotar version of Nikons lens is also 5/4. The rear element of the this lens is larger than you might expect for a Sonnar type scheme, but that's all I can say really. The styling of the lens is also strongly influenced by Nikon. This lens also appears in two different stylings, this 'Mountain Brand' styling, and a somewhat different 'Pearl River' badged styling.

Congrats

Yes. It is a re-branded Pearl River as the one below. Optical design is 1/2/1/1 Xenotar type.
https://www.carousell.com.hk/p/%E4%B8%AD%E5%8F%A4%E5%9C%8B%E7%94%A2%E7%8F%A0%E6%B1%9F105mm-2-5%E6%89%8B%E5%8B%95%E9%8F%A1%E9%A0%AD%E3%80%82-1233075963/

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

won bidding, should get em by the end of the week

Staeble Telexon 135mm f3.8
Staeble Lineogon 35mm f3.5
Staeble Braun-Colour-Ultralit 50mm f2.8

(and Super Paxette camera, all in great condition)

What's the deal with Staeble triplets? I have Katagon (OK-ish) and lately I got Braun-Colour-Ultralnit 50mm f2.8 (very nice) now there is also Kata, Kataplast, ... they had problems choosing name or what? Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

The wide open performance of the lens does not disappoint.

I had the 43-86 here for a while. One of it's drawbacks was being soft wide open towards the 43mm end.
I didn't really use it enough to find any problems with distortion.
It's basic strength seemed to be at the telephoto end and slightly stopped down.
It certainly was not as bad a lens as it's reputation. Just barely passable in some respects, and entirely usable in some limited ways.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the latest lens I have un-added? I finally sold my Nikkor 50mm f1.2 AI. I had it for a long time, but it was either sell that one or my Nikkor 50mm f1.2 AIS, and the AI sold first, so the AIS stays.

Now I'll do the same with two Nikkor 85mm f1.8 K version lenses. Both in exquisite shape and super sharp, but one is converted to AI.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How about the latest lens I have un-added?

I recently sold my Industar 50-2. I had used it twice, and didn't like it both times.
Slow, not sharp(corners), weak colors, and a long minimum focusing distance. I saw no reason to keep it or ever use it again.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just acquired a Nikkor ai 135mm f/3.5 and Zuiko 28mm f/3.5.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Just acquired a Nikkor ai 135mm f/3.5 and Zuiko 28mm f/3.5.

Looking forward to images with both.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earlier 4/3 Nikkor-Q & QC is also worth trying.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took a while to post the third leg, this lens was a basket-case despite the vendors description. I've never seen so much grease inside a lens, some had vapourised and settled on one internal element of the zooming groups. Once I disassembled to get at it, it became obvious that the cam follower screws were overly worn, the moving element carrier had 1-2 millimeters of play. The original design uses metal on metal cam followers, which I substituted for some teflon covered types I had removed from a busted zoom some time ago, the zoom action is very precise now. The rubber focus grip material was toast, but the measurement is 50mm exactly and I found some very suitable sticky backed grip material on Taobao which was the exact width needed, I'm happy with how that turned out.

Nikon fans will notice a definite resemblance between this lens and Nikons 80-200/4.5, and I can confirm it is very close in constructional details, I haven't checked about the optical arrangement. While I was disassembling I got to a point where I was stuck. Because there aren't any guides for this particular lens, I headed to Richard Haw's site where he provides a guide for the Nikon lens, and the advice there also applied to this lens. This lens does have a 1.7m MFD as opposed to the Nikon 1.8m. I used to have the Nikon lens but no longer do, it would be fun to compare. I imagine the coatings on the Pearl River lens might not be quite as good.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optically, it is has the same arrangement as the Nikkor with 12e/9g and the design is pretty close to. It will be interesting to see a comparison with the Nikkor.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus Zuiko 28mm f2 MC.

I own and very much like the Zuiko 2.8 (non-MC) version of this focal length, and since the f2 was very reasonably priced, I couldn´t resist. Here it is on the Sony, and the f2.8 version next to it.

All the 2.8 and 3.5 wide angle Zuikos are almost of the same size, comparable to the compact 40 Hexanon pancake, and quite uniform in their appearance and performance (*). The fast Zuikos, like the 28 and the half shown 35 next to it on the following image, they are not only bigger (obviously), but also individualists in the way they look and behave. This 28mm f2 Zuiko has floating elements for better close focus distance performance. The 35 f2 has no floating elements, but a dubious reputation - more despised than loved by folks who tried it. I carried it around most of the time since I got it in summer last year, as an always-on on the Sony. I find it excellent.

(*) some think the 21mm f3.5 is a dud, though Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quidam wrote:
pic -- SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm F/3.5

Like 1 Isn't this the "bag of primes"? I have it too. Haven't used it much. Kinda heavy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
quidam wrote:
pic -- SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm F/3.5

Like 1 Isn't this the "bag of primes"? I have it too. Haven't used it much. Kinda heavy.

yes - this is the "stack of primes" - legendary lens and readily holds up against its own press....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I acquired my "bokina" in cfd mount a few years ago. Since then I have kept my eye out for the 1:1 extender, knowing it would be a bit of a long shot for one to crop up, and in the right mount. Earlier this year one finally did, a listing with a canon 50-1.8. So I put in a decent bid - but didn't win. Well thats that for another 5 years... I thought. But no. And this time I was the only bidder.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forther to the post by drBB of may 29th stating that a Staeble lineogon was bought. That 35mm lens has the same optical construction as the Novoflex 35mm macro which also came from Staeble but was equipped with the peculiar snap-out mount for macro use . It can be successfully used forr UVphotos.

p.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
I acquired my "bokina" in cfd mount a few years ago. Since then I have kept my eye out for the 1:1 extender, knowing it would be a bit of a long shot for one to crop up, and in the right mount. Earlier this year one finally did, a listing with a canon 50-1.8. So I put in a decent bid - but didn't win. Well thats that for another 5 years... I thought. But no. And this time I was the only bidder.
pic

Congrats

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:

Congrats! Great combination.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered a Minolta AF 80-200mm f/2.8 APO (the older black version).
Not exactly an MF lens, but quite old by now and it will be adapted to my A7RII.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Just ordered a Minolta AF 80-200mm f/2.8 APO (the older black version).
Not exactly an MF lens, but quite old by now and it will be adapted to my A7RII.

if i remember correctly, that lens is as good on 200mm as apo version, except weight