Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What Konica film camera you suggest?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: What Konica film camera you suggest? Reply with quote

I have this bunch of pretty good Tamrons I don't know what to do with. I was thinking of getting some Nikon film body and adapters? Any ideas or suggestions?

edit: do's and especially dont's

Last edited by kansalliskala on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: What Nikon film camera you suggest? Reply with quote

I recommend you read Stephen Gandy's summary on Nikon film bodies to help in your decision. He has a very good pros/cons summary for each of the bodies, plus his personal ranking of which to choose: http://www.cameraquest.com/nikonslr.htm

My personal opinions:

Nikon FM2/FM2n are awesome, shutter 1/4000s etc. FM2/T is a dream; titanium, but rare and expensive.

Nikon F2 is arguably the best of the all-mechanical bodies, but parts availability is low.

Nikon F is classic & beautiful fully mechanical SLR. Downside is no light meter and film changing requires you remove the one-piece rear/bottom plate = not fast. May or may not disturb. Later Nikon FTN with Photomic light meter is useful bot not as good looking Very Happy

If you want a body that can control aperture on newer Nikkor G-series lenses the Nikon F100 is in my opinion The Choice for anyone who wants to build a Nikon film system. Ultramodern in every aspect, compact size, awesome shutter.

I recommend: FM2 in any version or F100

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of expensive stuff .. Confused

Does Nikkormat FT-2 work with new full-metal (I mean no levers or such) adaptall-2 adapters?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I faced a similar decision. My answer was the FE, and I'm very happy with the choice. In a nutshell the advantages: meters with Ai AND non Ai lenses - with the non Ai you get aperture automation but have to stop down to meter. The FE does Av and manual in a manual camera way - an excellent speed/aperture indication in the viewfinder. The FE2 lost the non Ai compatibility. AFAIK the plain FM also supports both Ai and non Ai.

The FE is not terribly expensive, with a bit of shopping downright cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want budget but good camera , take Canon, Chinon or Pentax.

For example Canon FD cameras and adapter price next to nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Pentax is not cheap anymore?
I had adaptall - FD adapter and sold it next to nothing. Mad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Attila wrote:

Pentax is not cheap anymore?
I had adaptall - FD adapter and sold it next to nothing. Mad

Many Pentax model still going for nothing 30-40 USD max, Chinon also they are great cameras.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Asahi-Pentax-K1000-Camera-EUC_W0QQitemZ150370184837QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilm_Cameras?hash=item2302c2ee85&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem you may find in going with Nikon for your Tamron lenses is finding an Adaptall-II mount for a halfway reasonable price. Adaptall-II mounts for Nikon are typically in high demand, and often go for double or more the price of other mounts on eBay. The specific flavor of Nikon Adaptall-II mount also must be taken into account, since Nikon used two basic metering systems for its manual-focus cameras: non-AI and AI. Some of the later Adaptall-II AI mounts did not have the meter coupling shoe that is needed for the earlier style meter coupling design. If you go with Nikon, my recommendation is to get an Adaptall-II mount with the shoe, that way your bases are covered.

Since your lenses are all Tamron, and we're assuming take the Adaptall-II mount, my recommendation is that you go with whichever camera system you feel most comfortable with. All have their pluses. You can pick up some great film cameras these days for not much money. If you ask us which you should go with, you'll most likely get a lot of recommendations because we all have our favorites. You made no mention of your budget, either, which will affect the recommendations.

My personal favorite top 10 manual focus 35mm SLRs (in order of preference):

Canon F-1n (2nd version of the original F-1)
Nikon F2
Canon FTbn
Nikon FE/FE2
Nikon FM/FM2(n)
Pentax KX
Nikon F3
Canon F-1N
Pentax LX
Canon T-90

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, this was kind of information I really wanted. My idea was primary that I just pick a brand because Tamrons really fit everywhere. But since Nikon and adapters are so expensive - I don't pick that .. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you think about Konicas for this purpose?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konicas are good - though their big splash was with auto exposure, and this is of the shutter priority variety, which I don't get along with. But as a dead end mount, cameras and lenses are not expensive. Konica also has one of the shortest register distances, so back in the day there were many adpters.

You might look at the Minoltas of the SRT era while checking out Konica.

The most elegant Adaptall-2 mount I've used is the OM. Simple, effective, less fiddly than any other.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
What you think about Konicas for this purpose?

Konica FC-1, Konica FS-1, Konica FT-1 any of them just great, I have FC-1 it has deadly accurate light meter I love it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***What Konica film camera you suggest?***

The TC is a good start, to use very good Hexanon lenses, still cheap to buy and although fairly basic is a good solid camera....if buying watch out for the usual things like light meter, seals etc
The FT-1 is a nice camera but I think over valued as they sometimes go for £40, I'd rather spend another £40 more and get a Canon T90 which would blow it away.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: What Nikon film camera you suggest? Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
I recommend you read Stephen Gandy's summary on Nikon film bodies to help in your decision. He has a very good pros/cons summary for each of the bodies, plus his personal ranking of which to choose: http://www.cameraquest.com/nikonslr.htm

I've used a number of different Nikon SLRs and I agree with many of
Stephen's comments on this page but he also makes some comments
that seem pretty off-the-wall to me.

For example he says the Nikkormat EL-series cameras use an battery
that is "odd-shaped and difficult to find." The truth is these cameras use
the very common PX28 battery, the same one used by the Canon A-series
models which is neither "odd-shaped" nor "difficult to find."

He also says the N2020 has "painfully slow auto-focus" yet I've never
seen my N2020 take more than a fraction of second to focus so I
guess Stephen's pain threshold must be rather low or he tested it with a
defective camera/lens.

He also rates the EM very high???? (Nikon's worst SLR ever) Presumably
because when it breaks you can get another at low cost??? Why not just
get a Holga then? Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***He also rates the EM very high???? (Nikon's worst SLR ever) Presumably
get a Holga then?***

Hey! my EM has been in the family for about 15 years, and just keeps working...mind you it's only had light use.

The camera got the exposure correct for this snap in Ibiza:-

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/chakrata/img235.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if Konica Autoreflex the T3 / T3N are considered the best, most improved
models: - all metal but smooth operation, DoF preview, ISO 12-3200, brighter viewfinder as predecessors with both shutter speed and aperture readings.

Attila the Chinons - how is there register distance and the availability of adapters? Are there models with both Manual and aperture mode ( or even all 3', manual/shutter priority/aperture priority like Minolta XD-7 / XD-11, and I believe also Oly OM2n, Canon A1, Nikon FE )

thank you,
Andreas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
if Konica Autoreflex the T3 / T3N are considered the best, most improved
models: - all metal but smooth operation, DoF preview, ISO 12-3200, brighter viewfinder as predecessors with both shutter speed and aperture readings.

Attila the Chinons - how is there register distance and the availability of adapters? Are there models with both Manual and aperture mode ( or even all 3', manual/shutter priority/aperture priority like Minolta XD-7 / XD-11, and I believe also Oly OM2n, Canon A1, Nikon FE )

thank you,
Andreas

Chinons are Pentax or M42 I don't know more about them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The T3 has a very nice and usefull mirror up system.

All metal, very solid. Great konica cam. Meter is very reliable

Think about "her" when you decide your purchase.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Konica AD2 mount going spare if you need one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I've got a Konica AD2 mount going spare if you need one.

Peter,

I am one better: a boxed original Konica adapter for taking M42 lenses: this went for really stupid money a few years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
***He also rates the EM very high???? (Nikon's worst SLR ever) Presumably
get a Holga then?***

Hey! my EM has been in the family for about 15 years, and just keeps working...mind you it's only had light use.

I know Steve Gandy -- or at least I knew him. It's been years since we talked or corresponded.

Steve is a Nikon guy, through-and-through, and is perhaps the most knowledgeable guy I've met when it comes to Nikon rangefinder. And to say that Steve is opinionated is perhaps a bit of an understatement. Smile

It doesn't surprise me that he's unfamiliar with the Canon A-series battery. Hehe, he's probably never used an A-series Canon.

As for his love for the EM, I think Excalibur demonstrates this. The EM has a good reputation for accurate exposure. It also has a mechanical "B" setting, which makes it popular among astrophotographers who prefer lightweight cameras to hang from their telescopes. And I would not describe the EM as the "worst" Nikon. The simplest, yes, but worst? I dunno. I think if I had to choose, I'd probably opt for an EM over a 4004.

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

Blimey, it's just like being there. Smile Drunk.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:

Blimey, it's just like being there. Smile Drunk.

Is there another way?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some significant difference between T - T(2) - T3 ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Is there some significant difference between T - T(2) - T3 ?

I can only point to what I have read in the net, e.g:
http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/eKonicaUebersicht.html ( with clickable links to technical datas of each model )
technically speaking minor tweaks and improvements,
changes in layout and later models smoother in operation
making the T3n the most desirable of the metal / non electronic Konica cameras

quote from here: http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Konica_Auto-Reflex_and_Autorex
quote: 'If the Autoreflex T/FTA and T"2"/"New" FTA established Konica SLR as a major and important brand, the T3 and T3"N" took this to a higher level. It is a completely redesigned camera with a number of improvements. The T3/T3"N" are described as "buttery smooth" in operation by many fans. It is also the last of the all-metal, full-size Konica. Highly durable, many remain in use today despite having little or no service attention over 30 or more years use.'

another good source:
http://cybernetdenis.net/camera.htm

cheers,
Andreas