Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is your favourite portrait lens ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite one is the Topcor 58mm f/1.4. Superb bokeh lens, and perfect focal lenght for portrait on a crop sensor DSLR.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody has some portraits taken with wide-opened Pentacon/Oreston 50/1.8? I'd like to see some, but I can't find any...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to have just one.

For beautiful models or children in color I like the Planar 100 or Rokkor 1.2/58.
For B+W I prefer the Biotar T 1.5/75 with a green filter (film or digital).

For dogs and animals. The Biogon 2/35 has been amazing at delivering the goods on the RF. Maybe it is a bit short sometimes.

Planar100

Rokkor (desaturated light was bad color)

Biotar75

ZM Biogon2/35

And for those who have not seen it (few I'm sure Embarassed ) here is a thumb to my best Paco shot I will have. ZM Biogon 2/35

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice captures, well grabbed moments!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't take pictures of people and I'm not sure, if animal/statue portraits counts... anyway...

portrait of this lady was taken by S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4 (she was... my grandfather's teacher of fishing)

another portrait taken by S-M-C 50/1.4 - as you can see, gathers are not perceptible:

This one was taken by MC Pancolar 80/1.8. Lady, who owns the old tommy, liked it (I don't wonder, she got the picture for free Laughing )

This doggie belongs to my brother, so I can learn upon her. Taken by MC Pentacon 50/1.8 in car...

same object, different lens: Biotar T 75/1.5:

All af the lenses performed as I needed, so I like them all Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ones! I think animal or human portraits are same, but I'd like to use for animals sharpest lens what I have. For humans I like to use soft lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-x >> I like the Biotar lens examples the most.

I just checked the prices on ebay and I don't like them that much. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Does anybody has some portraits taken with wide-opened Pentacon/Oreston 50/1.8? I'd like to see some, but I can't find any...

I discovered the Pentacon the other (cold!) day and took a few shots down at the farm. Unfortunately they were only snapshots and the lens was set to F4, but I find it lovely and sharp either way. Hopefully someone will have some proper shots to post, but in the meantime:

Wide open it has some nice bokeh but prone to slight CA...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

Planar100

Shocked Look at this bokeh! WOW!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek: Thanks!

martinsmith99: I think ebay is one of the worst places for buying lenses. My last score is 4/2 (four bought, two of them completely fungused).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote, at this time, for the pre-war uncoated Meyer Primoplan 1:1,9 f=7,5cm.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Primoplan design is possibly not the sharpest one, but its characteristic bokeh is astonishing...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot give an exact hierarchy for my portrait lenses . I use often Helios-40-2, J-9, Smc-Takumar 1,8/85 , Meyer Orestegor 2,8/135 preset (zebra) , Angenieux 2,5/90, hacked Zeiss Triotar 6,3/135mm , Berthiot-Lacour 100 mm , Feinmess Bonotar (very soft) , Schneider Tele-Xenar . I use other 100-135mm time to time . May be my preferred are smc-takumar 1,8/85 , helios-40 , J-9 .

Helios-40-2 : (Dslr, f/4)

Berthiot-Lacour Eurygraphe 100mm f/6 : (Film, Spotmatic F , f/11)

Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Quote:
Pentacon 135mm f2.8 any variant is superb for portraits especially on Nikon , effective focal length will be lot shorter around 75-85mm.

Excuse me, if I ask again, but with regard to the combination of 42mm lenses with Nikon bodies I'm still a freshman: Does this mean that with this lense and a 42mm-adapter on my D700 I can't focus to infinity, but will be able to shoot full portraits?
With my Jupiter 9 I can only shoot partial portraits. The lense is extraordinary, but I don't feel (and don't have the money) to buy another digital body like the Canon 5D.

Thanks
Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, exactly Thomas, 135mm will be long enough for head and shoulders portraits.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Attila.

How is the Tele Ennalyt 135mm f2.8? Is 40€ a good price, if it is in good shape and comes with the original box?
And how about a Jupiter 11 M39 for 40€?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter-11 is one of the sharpest 135mm lenses with really nice bokeh. There are two M39 versions: For rangefinders (slim) - on DSLR you can use it only as close-up lens. And for SLR (fat), which can hit infinity if you have proper adapter. €40 is not bad price, but with a bit of luck you can find it cheaper. For this price you can find faster version of this lens - Jupiter 37A (135/3.5). This one can be find even in MC version, but it's very rare.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear no-X, thanks for your detailed remarks.

Can anybody tell me something about the Enna-lense, 135mm f2.8?
I checked Attilas pictures in the mf-gallery, but I'd prefer some remarks about usage and IQ. 40€ OK for this lense?

Thanks
Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madamasu wrote:
Dear no-X, thanks for your detailed remarks.

Can anybody tell me something about the Enna-lense, 135mm f2.8?
I checked Attilas pictures in the mf-gallery, but I'd prefer some remarks about usage and IQ. 40€ OK for this lense?

Thanks
Thomas

I have no experience with this lens, 40 EUR fine for any 135mm lens in my opinion. Take it, test it and share with us Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Orestor 1.8/50 snapshots Reply with quote

Orestor 1.8/50 snapshots portraits

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, Attila. I guess I'll do this. Not that I really need it, with all the Nikon goodies I have got,but somehow it makes fun to be a little crazy, when your daily activities require you to be rational all the time.

Cheers
Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Orestor 1.8/50 snapshots Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:
Orestor 1.8/50 snapshots portraits

Thanks for these nice photos!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , I bought many lenses also just for fun and share information! Many thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think with CZJ Tessar 80/2.8 and Biometar 80/2.8 in M42?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dekiller wrote:
What do you think with CZJ Tessar 80/2.8 and Biometar 80/2.8 in M42?

Great and rare lenses!