Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is the best 25mm or 28mm manual lens for landscapes?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strongly advise against the Canon nFD 24 mm f 2.8. I bought it initially but it has plastic bearing who degraded over the years. Irrespective of optical quality, these lenses have run their life... I then went to buy a full range of Minolta. Top quality 40-50 years later....

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic Lens M42 Auto-Takumar 1:2.3/35 http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=73516&start=3606
First version of Super-Takumar 1:2/35 has similar rendering https://takumarguide.weebly.com/1--2--35-model-i-368.html

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:
I would strongly advise against the Canon nFD 24 mm f 2.8. I bought it initially but it has plastic bearing who degraded over the years. Irrespective of optical quality, these lenses have run their life... I then went to buy a full range of Minolta. Top quality 40-50 years later....

It's fun to see how things and opinions change over the years. I remember clearly being sixteen years old and dreaming of a real camera, either a Leica M6 or a Canon New F-1 ... I was very impressed by the Canon nFD lens lineup - and belittling the Minolta MD system. The nFD lense were fantastic back then - but these days I also would prefer the Minolta MD-III 2.8/24mm over the Canon nFD 2.8/24 Wink

S

EDIT:

visualopsins wrote:
Magic Lens M42 Auto-Takumar 1:2.3/35 http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=73516&start=3606

True ... I have one and forgot to mention it. Not the best lens for classical landscape purposes (not completely sharp over the entire 24 MF FF even at f11), but fast, lightweight and with nice rendering e. g. for reportages, people, portrait (if you want a 35mm) and street.

S

Last edited by stevemark on Mon May 24, 2021 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earlier Canon FD lenses were full metal. in nFD more plastics were introduced. It really depends on how (much) the lens was used. A lot of copy variation.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
charley5 wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
SMC Pentax K 28mm f3.5
Simply wonderful.
Reviews here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/smc-pentax-k-28mm-f3-5-t75775.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-28mm-F3.5-Lens.html

Tom

Tom, thank you for your recommendation. I don't know much about Pentax lenses. Does the "K" signify the mount? Is it different than the Pentax M 28mm f3.5?

-Charles

It’s different from the M version. It’s the first series of Pentax bajonet lenses. It should say SMC Pentax, without the ‘M’. And yes, this is a brilliant lens.

Thank you. That's helpful!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
First version of Super-Takumar 1:2/35 has similar rendering https://takumarguide.weebly.com/1--2--35-model-i-368.html

Interesting suggestion! Thanks. I shall check it out!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:
I would strongly advise against the Canon nFD 24 mm f 2.8. I bought it initially but it has plastic bearing who degraded over the years. ...

D1N0 wrote:
The earlier Canon FD lenses were full metal. in nFD more plastics were introduced. It really depends on how (much) the lens was used. A lot of copy variation.

Antoine specifically was talking about the plastice bearings used in Canon FD/nFD lenses ..

1) with IF (internal focusing)
2) with RF (rear focusing)
3) with floating elements
4) with zooms

They often (usually?) have decayed, causing easily visible "wobble" for the elements concerned. Of course this can degrade the original performance of a lens quite drastically - which really is a pity since nFD lenses were among the best when they were introduced.

S

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nikon 24mm f2.8 chipped for use with electronic cameras. I like the color and rendering of long distance images. It also has the CRC for close work. Not too pricey either.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best 25mm or 28mm manual lens for landscapes Reply with quote

[quote="charley5"]I was wondering what 25mm or 28mm lenses you would recommend for landscape shots? I am looking for a lens that's sharp but that also has a bit of character. I recently came across the Carl Zeiss Contarex Distagon 25mm f/2.8, which I like. Another lens that seems interesting is the Olympus Zuiko 28mm f3.5. So with sharpness and character considerations in mind, what is your recommendation?

Thanks,

-Charles[/quote,]

Adding price to the considerations I went for the Sony FE 28mm 2.0. The few vintage 28mm manual lenses that are really good are too expensive now. Yes, character sacrificed. For landscapes less important. All IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HansMoleman wrote:
I have a Nikon 24mm f2.8 chipped for use with electronic cameras. I like the color and rendering of long distance images. It also has the CRC for close work. Not too pricey either.

Some nice results with the Nikon. I shall look into it further.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best 25mm or 28mm manual lens for landscapes Reply with quote

[quote="Ernst Dinkla"]
charley5 wrote:
I was wondering what 25mm or 28mm lenses you would recommend for landscape shots? I am looking for a lens that's sharp but that also has a bit of character. I recently came across the Carl Zeiss Contarex Distagon 25mm f/2.8, which I like. Another lens that seems interesting is the Olympus Zuiko 28mm f3.5. So with sharpness and character considerations in mind, what is your recommendation?

Thanks,

-Charles[/quote,]

Adding price to the considerations I went for the Sony FE 28mm 2.0. The few vintage 28mm manual lenses that are really good are too expensive now. Yes, character sacrificed. For landscapes less important. All IMHO.

Yes, different results with a non-vintage lens. Interesting comparison.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One lens I personally often use for landscapes is the Sigma Super-wide II 24mm f/2.8.
A very sharp lens, the AF version slightly sharper than the MF version but it may be due to sample variations between the two lenses I have.

If you could consider a zoom lens, the Minolta 24-50 f/4 is a good lens for landscapes, better edge sharpness than the Minolta MD II 24mm f/2.8 I had but with more lens curvature.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Antoine wrote:
I would strongly advise against the Canon nFD 24 mm f 2.8. I bought it initially but it has plastic bearing who degraded over the years. ...

D1N0 wrote:

Antoine specifically was talking about the plastice bearings used in Canon FD/nFD lenses ..

1) with IF (internal focusing)
2) with RF (rear focusing)
3) with floating elements
4) with zooms

They often (usually?) have decayed, causing easily visible "wobble" for the elements concerned. Of course this can degrade the original performance of a lens quite drastically - which really is a pity since nFD lenses were among the best when they were introduced.

S

Yes. this why I sold my 50 1,4, 28 2,0, 35 2,0, 24 2,8 and bought the lowlies 28 2,8, 35 2,8, 50 1,8.

Problem: it seems the nFD 28 2,8 is not completely immune to the problem...

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johan_G wrote:
One lens I personally often use for landscapes is the Sigma Super-wide II 24mm f/2.8.
A very sharp lens, the AF version slightly sharper than the MF version but it may be due to sample variations between the two lenses I have.

If you could consider a zoom lens, the Minolta 24-50 f/4 is a good lens for landscapes, better edge sharpness than the Minolta MD II 24mm f/2.8 I had but with more lens curvature.

The Super Wide is a fantastic lens. Better than any other vintage 24 I owned. I even bought a stupid one in FD mount that focuses like a Nikon. Absurd.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:
I would strongly advise against the Canon nFD 24 mm f 2.8. I bought it initially but it has plastic bearing who degraded over the years. Irrespective of optical quality, these lenses have run their life...

Hmmm . . . first I've heard of this. I have three nFD zooms and several nFD primes and I haven't noticed any signs of this sort of failure with them -- yet.

It's unfortunate how some plastics decay over time. I owned a nice Volvo wagon that I ended up sending to the junkyard because all its wiring's insulation had begun to crumble away. I own a rather expensive Bosch orbital sander that has a plastic pad to which the sanding sheets are attached, and it had turned into the consistency of mozzarella cheese, crumbled away, rendering the sander useless. And it wasn't even that old. I also own a Watermans "Hundred Year" fountain pen whose clear plastic endpiece crackled and crumbled away after it was scarcely 30 years old. Disappointing.

I've always preferred the older breechlock Canons, mostly because of their all metal and glass construction -- the 24mm I mentioned above is a breechlock SSC, incidentally. I guess I should plan on securing the breechlock equivalents of those nFD lenses I own. At least those that have equivalents.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: What is the best 25mm or 28mm manual lens for landscapes Reply with quote

charley5 wrote:
I was wondering what 25mm or 28mm lenses you would recommend for landscape shots? I am looking for a lens that's sharp but that also has a bit of character. I recently came across the Carl Zeiss Contarex Distagon 25mm f/2.8, which I like. Another lens that seems interesting is the Olympus Zuiko 28mm f3.5. So with sharpness and character considerations in mind, what is your recommendation?

Thanks,

-Charles

IMHO there is not much room for "character" on landscapes; i.e. sharpness and contrast are the main criteria for landscapes, at least in my opinion.
There are plenty of wide angle lenses which provide sharp and contrasty pictures across the frame, some of them only when stopped down considerably.

In other words: It's mainly a matter of taste and personal preferences which lens will suit your needs.

Minolta MD 24/2.8 (Version MD III) would be my recommendation, certainly one of the best 24mm lenses of it's time and still affordable.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the old 24-28mm was the canon nfd 24/2.8 and the distagon 28/2.8
nfd 24
floodplain-11 by Сергей Пашнин, on Flickr
Before a storm by Сергей Пашнин, on Flickr

distagon 28/2.8
floodplain-12 by Сергей Пашнин, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Character in a 28mm could be dreaminess wide open. Distinctive flare and close up Bokeh. Tokina is known for it's flare. The Vivitar 28mm F2 (22xxxx Kino version) is soft and dreamy wide open and has distinctive bokeh. Stopped down probably an ok landscape lens.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johan_G wrote:

Interesting. thanks. I have the Vivitar 24-48 which I find is quite a good performer. The lens curvature might be a deal-breaker.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best 25mm or 28mm manual lens for landscapes Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
charley5 wrote:

Thanks,

-Charles

IMHO there is not much room for "character" on landscapes; i.e. sharpness and contrast are the main criteria for landscapes, at least in my opinion.
There are plenty of wide angle lenses which provide sharp and contrasty pictures across the frame, some of them only when stopped down considerably.

In other words: It's mainly a matter of taste and personal preferences which lens will suit your needs.

Minolta MD 24/2.8 (Version MD III) would be my recommendation, certainly one of the best 24mm lenses of it's time and still affordable.

Thanks. It has certainly caught my attention!

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergun wrote:
Of the old 24-28mm was the canon nfd 24/2.8 and the distagon 28/2.8
nfd 24
Before a storm by Сергей Пашнин, on Flickr

distagon 28/2.8
floodplain-12 by Сергей Пашнин, on Flickr

Really beautiful shots. The canon seems to have had some detractors in this thread though.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Character in a 28mm could be dreaminess wide open. Distinctive flare and close up Bokeh. Tokina is known for it's flare. The Vivitar 28mm F2 (22xxxx Kino version) is soft and dreamy wide open and has distinctive bokeh. Stopped down probably an ok landscape lens.

Great. Thanks. Will check them out!

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergun wrote:
... nfd 24

Like 1 Like 1 Too beautiful moment!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One oppinion more for SMC Pentax K 28 f/3,5 . A really wonderful lens , that seems specially designed for landscapes. I own two copies , and it has been my most used lens since the analogue times. The " Hollywood " K 28 f/2, is of course a class on its own. But it´s more heavy , and wonderful in close upand also landscape. But I normally prefer to carry in my bag the K 28 f/3,5 . It is a warranty, and results in my DSLr´s , concerning landscape pictures are similar to obtained with the K 28 f/2.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a copy of the contax zeiss distagon 28 2.8 that was very soft, even stopped down. I assumed it had been mistreated but could find no evidence of someone opening it. I queried the repair expert at Zeiss Ikon Contax repair site and the gentleman said that lens suffered from aberrent lens element issues and I should not waste my time on my copy. I like the Konica 24mm 2.8 and the Minolta MD 24mm 2.8.