Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what are the biggest bargains you have found?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
My J11A is quite soft, might be a bad copy or not in the best of condition, it is rather tired looking.

I think you have a bad copy I don't remember any crap Russian lens.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Spiratone 7mm fisheye Reply with quote

I picked up this new toy for pocket change ($12)...Came in Nikon mount and since I had Nikon adapters for the Canon Dslr...well....

appears to be soft on one side...well both sides but moreso at the right (bottom) of frame...will try another adapter, though I doubt I'll see any improvement...

still, a nice toy...

shot at 1 yd from the bush in the front...

IMG_3855Rs by kitaflix, on Flickr
Working with the Spiratone 7mm fisheye....still trying to figure it out....
Each time I use it and look at the results I see more to correct....next time I'm going to try to straighten the horizon...

IMG_4038Rs by kitaflix, on Flickr

IMG_4038RCsb by kitaflix, on Flickr

I shot the above at F22 and thought it might improve at F45 but I was advised to use F8 next time...will do...

Having discussed/defended the idea that primes force one to look at framing and perspective more critically than one does with zooms, I am more convinced than ever of this, with this extreme FL at least....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
A few days ago, I raided a local camera shop. They have bins that they fill with old stuff and deep discount. Many of the items are NOS that have been sitting on the shelves for decades. The hauled included:

Canon FD 100mm f/4 macro lens
Canon FD 2x-A (two of 'em)
Canon FD 2x-B
Nikon eye-level prism for Nikon F
Nikon Angle Finder (two of 'em, for older round eyepiece Nikons) NOS
Nikon MD-E
Nikon PK3 ext tube
Nikon Ext set K (NOS)
Tamron 28-200 Aspherical adaptall-2 zoom
Tamron 55BB 500mm f/8 mirror
Vivitar Series 1 2x TC for S1 90mm f/2.5 macro C-FD mount (NOS)

. . . and more . . .

Spent about $200 on the lot.

Some of the items I plan to keep, others I plan to sell, or already have listed on eBay.

Thought I'd update y'all on this recent purchase of mine. I listed several pieces on eBay. As I mentioned in the original post, I paid about $200 for everything. Well, the auction closed a few days ago on several of the items. That Tamron 55BB sold for $220 -- which is really a good deal compared to many prices I've seen on eBay. But it sold for $20 more than what I'd invested in the entire lot of goodies. I also sold one of the Canon 2x-A TCs, and the MD-E winder. I listed several items that I didn't buy in this "haul" that also sold. But I still have several more items to list. Keeping in mind that I planned all along to keep a few of the items I bought (e.g., the Canon 100mm f/4 macro, the Nikon F eye level finder and right angle finder, the Nikon Ext Ring Set K, etc), and estimating what I will get for those items I intend to sell and comparing those values with the items that have already sold, my $200-or-so investment should realize a gross profit of about $500. Subtract the nets (my costs, eBay and Paypal fees, postage, etc.) and I'm still looking at an easy $250 profit from this deal. Not to mention the FREE Canon FD 100mm f/4 macro, Nikon F eye level finder, Nikon Ext Ring Set K, and Nikon angle finder I get to keep -- and probably more I'm not thinking of -- and this has ended up being one sweet deal. And what's even sweeter is I'm not done yet. These folks have more stuff that I can probably bargain with them over and get for great prices. So this well has a ways to go yet before it runs dry . . .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my best deal so far has not been anything like some of the ones I have seen on here. I am still happy with mine though. I placed a bid on a Spotmatic with two lenses that the the seller didn't give very much information about and the pictures were fuzzy and small. I could just make out that one was a Makinon 24-50 Macro and the other a Takumar (He didn't show it with the lens cover off). I won the lot including the bag for $32. When it arrived, it looked like the orignal owner used it for a wedding or something and then wrapped it all back up and put it in the closet for the remainder of the time. Everything was clean and working.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handsome set Adent! congrats!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks so unused you could use it as a subject for a commercial Smile
Although on pictures gear always looks better, it seems to have the gleam/look/texture (dont know how to describe it Wink ) of new unused metal.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ymmot wrote:

Although on pictures gear always looks better, it seems to have the gleam/look/texture (dont know how to describe it Wink ) of new unused metal.

I like the word "lustre" when describing pristine metal surfaces.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Pentax SMC and Komura Reply with quote

Pentax SMC 50mm f1.8 minus 20 NZD. bought it with a spotmatic bundle and sold the 135 mm 3.5 on Ebay. lens cost me effectively -20 NZD. Still have the spotmatic and it works. Never use it.

Komura 135 3.5 35 NZD
Fujinon 200mm 4.5 EBC 15 NZD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Ymmot wrote:

Thanks Smile , that seems to be the technically correct term. Not being a native English speaker these are the most difficult words (especially if you can't really find the correct term in your native language to translate Wink )

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ymmot wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
Ymmot wrote:

Thanks Smile , that seems to be the technically correct term. Not being a native English speaker these are the most difficult words (especially if you can't really find the correct term in your native language to translate Wink )

I always thought "luster" had more luster when spelled "lustre"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kit does look that good in real life too. This is my second spotmatic. The first one came with three lenses, but I didn't get it for anywhere near this cheap and the lenses all had issues. The camera and the lenses looked like they had been taken on safari and put away without any cleaning. This one was a pleasant surprise.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my spotmatic and 55/2 for 2usd each, but not as nice condition.
congrats.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfkita wrote:
Ymmot wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
Ymmot wrote:

I always thought "luster" had more luster when spelled "lustre"

Me too. But I've always figured that this was the Anglophile in my American Me coming to the fore. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivitar 100-200 99p, seller refuses to sell on the grounds the item has been damaged since listing ??
Yashica 135 prime, cleaning marks on rear lens, doesn't affect performance £1.20
Pentax Takumar 70 - 200 £5
Yashica 28 - 80 £5.19
Miranda 70 - 300 £5.15
Canon 135 prime FD fit £25.05 - EOS adapter included which is around £20 for one with glass allowing focussing to infinity on DSLR

All via that online auction site. My tips for getting a bargain are

1. Poor description such as "old camera lens" where the seller can't be bothered to read a few details - one listing said "don't ask me what it is I don't know!" Likewise typos in the listing
2. Poor or no photograph - the Takumar was as such, didn't mention that a lens hood and case was included
3. finishing at a time when people are liable to be distracted, in the UK there is strictly come dancing mania to the point where the latest results make national news. The Christmas holidays can be a good time, I wouldn't sell mid Dec to mid Jan. I'll be watching ebay when the nation is gripped by olympic fever next year
4. Bid in odd amounts. you could win by 1p, many think in round figures such as £10, £15 etc
5. Join a sniping program. Never bid until the last minute

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just picked up what I would consider my best deal.

A 1939 "telephoto" lens for an Argus C2/C3. Supposedly less than 1000 were made. Only 4 known to exist up until this point. Shocked Arguably the hardest to find Argus C series lens. The postwar German-made telephoto is much more common.

I also just picked up a 1938 C2, which has a scarce pre "Cintar" lens on it - for all of $3. Argus purchased Graf in 1939 and started making their own Cintar lenses that year - so the 1938 lenses are very scarce. They also had several suppliers of glass before 1939, so it's possible that there are several variations of the pre-cintar lenses for the C and C2.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! today is my turn!
I just received a Cosina CT1ex with a Cosina 35-70mm, a Pentax SMC 135mm 3.5 and a Pentax SMC 50mm 1.4, all for 30€.
The Cosina is not of great value, but the Pentax lenses are interesting at this price. I have to add that everything is in working condition.
My previous best buy was a Fujica ST705 w with a Fujinon 55mm 1.8, a Hanimex 28mm and a Hanimex 135mm 2.8; all for 15 €, I bought it for the Fujinon.
Previously it was a CZJ Pancolar 50mm 1.8 for 5€, but I have to rework it, the aperture is slow.

Jean Claude

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon 200mm f/4 Ai-S, mint in its original case for $12.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew G. wrote:
Nikon 200mm f/4 Ai-S, mint in its original case for $12.

No effin' way!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two great results I have had recently are, a 50mm 1.4 SMC TAK in mint condition with leather case £30. The other is a Ricoh GR1s for £7, this camera is the Mother of all film point and shoots! I have never been a fan of point and shoots until I ran a roll of BW film through it. I always carry this with me now, just in case, and have had some nice candid shots from it. The lens is unbelievably sharp and its definitely a keeper.

My best result lens wise was a Ross 6inch xpress in Newman Sinclair mount, turned out to be a museum piece and I only bought it for £4. here is a picture of the lens on the Newman Sinclair camera... oh and yes, its a clockwork movie camera.

http://www.golden-agetv.co.uk/img/equipment/28b.JPG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bid on and won an Agfa Isolette over at shopgoodwill.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=9042891

I'll be paying more than I want to, but after looking at the offerings over at eBay and what their asking prices are, I guess I got a pretty good deal. Over at the bay there are only two Isolettes with rangefinder windows, and both of these have the earlier shutters. The one I just won has a Synchro Compur, which I consider to be much more desirable than the older shutters.

It looks pretty clean. I hope so. Dunno anything about that Solinar lens. Hope it's decent. If not, heck I'll sell it. But I'm betting it's a good little picture taker.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great camera for sure, usually bellow has leaks, you need to fix it with electrical tape. Image quality is excellent.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Attila. I've been out on the 'net doing some reading up on it. It appears this is a late Isolette III, made during the mid-to-late 1950s. The Solinar lens (a Tessar clone) is generally regarded to be the best one Agfa used in these cameras. It has an uncoupled rangefinder, something I was a bit disappointed to find out. But oh well, at least it has a rangefinder. Yeah, I got the electrical tape ready to go, just in case.

I would really like to get a Pearl like what you have, but dang those things are expensive on eBay. I could buy a good Zeiss Super Ikonta for less than what they're going for.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is six different type of Pearl only III and IV is expensive, not only on Ebay everywhere.
Pearl II has coupled of RF and not expensive 100-200 USD, Pearl I has uncoupled RF ~ 100 -150 USD.
If you not willing to make portraits, no matter if has coupled RF or it has RF at all. At F8-F11 there is plenty of space to use external RF or electronic distance meter which is inexpensive.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's good to know. Thanks for the additional info. But somebody ought to tell this guy:

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk of folders reminds me I need to put a film through my old Ross Ensign folder, it has a beauty of a Ross Xpress lens on it.