Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what are the biggest bargains you have found?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great value on an interesting camera. Well made, like all Canons of its time. Adapting the lenses to anything else would require dismantling the camera to remove the rear elements.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drack wrote:
Just buy a factory made one on ebay. This way you`ll save the camera and have a better quality adapter.

Yeah, I'd love to find a cheap Chinese adapter for these lenses, but that's not going to happen. Like on the Topcon Unirex, Rolleiflex SL26 and the Contaflex, half the lens remains on the camera; only the first half can be changed. So in order to be able to use these lenses on another camera (the Nex in my case), I'll have to dismantle (OK, I used the word 'butcher', but 'dismantle' sounds more subtle) the camera to build an adapter myself. And don't worry, I've been doing that for some of the camera's mentioned above Wink I know how it works...
Still I can't find much on the net about the quality of these lenses. In general, these compiled lenses are compromises between flexibility and lens quality. Anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drack wrote:
Well it`s a great deal, wonderful actually, but destroying the camera in order to make an adapter sound silly. Just buy a factory made one on ebay. This way you`ll save the camera and have a better quality adapter.

+10

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, I didn't make myself clear: there are no ready made adapters for this type of camera and there NEVER will be!
Confused Sad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harry tibi wrote:
I found a Canon EX Auto, with 1.8/50, 3.5/35 and 3.5/125, body and 50 mm in good working order, the 35
and 125 mm pristine, like new. I couldn't leave it in the shop, so I picked it all up for 16 euro. Major question: is it any good?
Is it worth my while to butcher the body to build an adapter for my Nex?

Harry, the price you paid seems great value for what you got, especially as you have the whole set, but because the camera
can only be used with its dedicated lenses and the lenses are no use on any other camera then I think probably only
collectors will be interested. There's one on Ebay right now with just the 50 lens, at $100 BIN, but I think that might be very
hopeful.

Click here to see on Ebay

I agree it's a shame to damage the camera. I think if I was in your place I would try to find out what sort of interest it might
attract as a complete set. You never know, there might be many collectors looking for the lenses. But if interest is weak then
it's far better to use the lenses rather than have them sitting on a shelf. Making an adapter for NEX is a great idea if you can
do it, but from the camera specs it sounds fairly problematic.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think you're right. There's only limited interest for this particular camera, I'm sure. There are millions of AE-1's with lenses lying around that are easier to find and much easier to adapt. Still, the construction of these splittable lenses might be interesting from an optic kind of view; I'm sure this Teletessar kind of 3.5/125 lens will deliver another kind of image than the FD 3.5 or 2.8/135. I'll be thinking about dismantling. In the mean time I could check if there's any interest among collectors. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are no factory made adapters for this type of lenses than yes, your only way is to make one yourself. However it seems to be a waste of a good camera ( if it`s a working one ) to simply use it on parts. I`d probably try to find one that is already broken and butcher that one. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm? It is very difficult for a servant to serve two masters.
One master (the photographer) says "it is only the image that is meaningful."
The other master (the gear collector) says "the equipment must be worshipped "
Only you will decide what you are and let one master gain control of your heart.
In the end realizing that you can never take it with you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harry tibi wrote:
Yeah, I think you're right. There's only limited interest for this particular camera, I'm sure. There are millions of AE-1's with lenses lying around that are easier to find and much easier to adapt. Still, the construction of these splittable lenses might be interesting from an optic kind of view; I'm sure this Teletessar kind of 3.5/125 lens will deliver another kind of image than the FD 3.5 or 2.8/135. I'll be thinking about dismantling. In the mean time I could check if there's any interest among collectors. Thanks!

Being able to use those lenses on digital is a great possibility, but, before you sacrifice the body in order to build an adapter, keep in mind what peter said some post above: from the camera specs it seems it could be a quite complicate - if possible - work.
I mean, probably it will Not be like making a contax rd adapter using an old kiev, so maybe, the risk could be ending up with broken camera + still non usable lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
harry tibi wrote:

Being able to use those lenses on digital is a great possibility, but, before you sacrifice the body in order to build an adapter, keep in mind what peter said some post above: from the camera specs it seems it could be a quite complicate - if possible - work.
I mean, probably it will Not be like making a contax rd adapter using an old kiev, so maybe, the risk could be ending up with broken camera + still non usable lenses.

Yes. For anyone who hasn't bothered to look at this camera, the rear lens group is a permanent part of the camera. The
front group can be unscrewed and changed to choose the focal length. The diaphragm is a permanent part of the camera,
not the lens, and the aperture control is on the top plate, around the rewind crank. This is why I think it could possibly be
quite difficult to built an adapter with a usable aperture.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 If the body still works, find a non-working body to "dismantle".

I picked up this:
P. Angenieux 135/2.5 Type P2
$100

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys ! Long time reader, but first post ! Thanks for the great forum, it helped me building a nice collection of vintage glass !! Wink

Two good deals for me, last year on a flea market a Revue 135mm f/2.8 with a Schneider-Kreuznach Xenon 50 f/1.9 in M42 (never saw that anywhere) for 5 euros, and recently a Topcon RE2 with the 35/2.8, 58/1.4, 100/2.8 and 135/3.5 for 190 euros on ebay.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billou wrote:
Hello guys ! Long time reader, but first post ! Thanks for the great forum, it helped me building a nice collection of vintage glass !! Wink

Two good deals for me, last year on a flea market a Revue 135mm f/2.8 with a Schneider-Kreuznach Xenon 50 f/1.9 in M42 (never saw that anywhere) for 5 euros, and recently a Topcon RE2 with the 35/2.8, 58/1.4, 100/2.8 and 135/3.5 for 190 euros on ebay.

Welcome! Thank you to joining us, look forward your contributions!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harry tibi wrote:
Drack wrote:
Just buy a factory made one on ebay. This way you`ll save the camera and have a better quality adapter.

Yeah, I'd love to find a cheap Chinese adapter for these lenses, but that's not going to happen. Like on the Topcon Unirex, Rolleiflex SL26 and the Contaflex, half the lens remains on the camera; only the first half can be changed. So in order to be able to use these lenses on another camera (the Nex in my case), I'll have to dismantle (OK, I used the word 'butcher', but 'dismantle' sounds more subtle) the camera to build an adapter myself. And don't worry, I've been doing that for some of the camera's mentioned above Wink I know how it works...
Still I can't find much on the net about the quality of these lenses. In general, these compiled lenses are compromises between flexibility and lens quality. Anyone?

The Topcon Unirex doesn't have any glass elements in the body, the reason it is hard to adapt is the aperture ring is on the body, but it's simple to remove. I made an adapter to NEX from a broken Uni. Wasn't wroth the hassle, the Topcon UV lenses are not so great. I also took the rear element from a broken Contaflex as I had the 35 and 85mm Pantars. It was very hard to make the adapter from it and again, wasn't worth the hassle as the lenses were not great. I expect the same will be true of the Canon EX - not worth the hassle because the lenses will not be so great, this was a budget system and if you look around the net at comments, people say the Camera is pleasant to use but the lenses are nothing special.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian, I appreciate your contribution to the subject. I already feared the lenses aren't that good, but you can't be too sure; it's Canon's first step into a new market. Maybe I should shoot a roll of film first; I'm sure everything works fine.
Thanks everybody!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several bargains in a lifetime, this in one of them: in November 2006 I had what can be seen in this picture (including the Leitz Fokos rangefinder) for a mere 150 Euros (with lenses freshly serviced).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco cavina wrote:
Several bargains in a lifetime, this in one of them: in November 2006 I had what can be seen in this picture (including the Leitz Fokos rangefinder) for a mere 150 Euros (with lenses freshly serviced).

Hats off, Sir !
We all know your name and work !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Marco! That's amazing! Good job!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back home with a "like new used once" set consisting of :

1 x Tamron 28mm 2.5 BBAR MC
1 x Adaptall-PK adapter
1 x L-06 Hardcase

for $20 CAD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreq wrote:
I'm back home with a "like new used once" set consisting of :

1 x Tamron 28mm 2.5 BBAR MC
1 x Adaptall-PK adapter
1 x L-06 Hardcase

for $20 CAD

Very nice. These PK adapters are rather expensive. Good find Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received a nice Konica Hexanon AR 28mm f3.5 five element lens. It came with a couple of filters and a Konica TC camera for US$28.

I have sharper seven element versions of this lens. Today's lens was bought to obtain:

Better coatings, smaller size, and lower weight. And it's still a sharp lens.

The target camera for this lens is the smaller, lighter, m4/3 cameras. Today's lens is not a pancake lens . . . but it's close. It's a lot closer than the earlier seven element version of this same lens. Anyway, was lucky. Lens is in very nice shape!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000ft of Kodak Vision 3 250D Recan from Malavita for 80 bucks, cant be happier. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, more stuff's coming, a Bronica ETR with 2 AE finders, 120 back, Zenzanon 75 2.8 EII and 150 3.5 MC, all for 195 bucks. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: best bargains Reply with quote

Ohnar slide duplicator on Freecycle cost me.... zero. Cimko 80 - 200 99p from that auction site. Just received this & am well pleased with test results from it, using the Ohnar to convert my slides to digital

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, it's been almost a year since the last time I posted a haul here. I've had a few decent ones since. Most recently I found in a second hand "Thrift" store a very clean Minolta XG-M with MD Rokkors 50mm f/2 and 135mm f/3.5, plus an MD-1 motor drive. Everything is in very clean shape. Paid $6 for the lot. I'm probably gonna play around with the XG-M some before I sell it.

I happened to be scanning through the cameras section of Craigslist one day early last summer and ran across a Canon A-1 outfit and with a brief mention of it having a Spiratone bellows. So right away I call the guy, and he tells me that the A-1 has been sold but that everything else was still there. So I had a look at what was left. There was a Sun 24-40, a Canon FD 35-70mm f/2.8-3.5 SSC, and a Canon FD 100-200 f/5.6 SC, along with a typical assortment of kit bag stuff. Oh, and a Spiratone Bellows-Master SST bellows with 150mm Spiratone macro lens attached. The Bellows Master, made by Hama, is a device I've wanted ever since I saw it in a Spiratone ad back probably in 1984 or so. It has full movements -- tilt, shift, swing, rise/fall. It's really a well-made piece of kit.

Price? Well, after considerable hemming and hawing about the poor condition of the 20-40 (the rear mount was loose) and how the 100-200 had the value of a door-stop, I offered the guy $125 for everything, and he took it. Besides the Spiratone bellows, which aren't going anywhere, I'm gonna keep that Sun 24-40 for a while at least. The guy told me that the lens was so sharp he almost never took it off his camera anymore. So it might be worth hanging on to.

Then several months later -- late summer by then, I run across another ad in Craigslist. This guy's selling a Canon FD outfit for a friend who's out of the country and just wants to see it gone. I think this guy's friend just told him to take whatever offer he was given, cuz I made some pretty low offers and he accepted them all. So anyway, from him, I picked up a dead Canon A-1 (I knew it was dead going in), a dead Vivitar 285 (didn't know it was dead, but used it as a bargaining tool once I found out it was), a Canon Motor Drive MA, a Canon FD 24mm f/2.8 SSC, a Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 SSC, an 85mm f/1.8 New FD, a New FD 35-105 f/3.5-4.5, and a New FD 70-210mm f/4. All the lenses came with Canon hoods. And it all fit into a really sharp looking, large camera bag. A "Tough Traveler" brand from Schenectady, NY. So, all the lenses looked like they'd been babied -- they were super clean. The A-1 looked like it had been rode hard and put up wet. The Motor Drive MA looked awful internally, but I felt I could probably deal with the heavy corrosion and bring it back. The 285 was a useful only as a bargaining chip, but the guy was so agreeable I didn't really need it. Actually, bargaining was almost embarassingly easy. I paid the guy $150 for everything. Yeah, I know.

And most recently, I bid on and won a small FD kit on eBay. The kit consisted of a Canon T90 with 50mm lens, and a Sunpak flash. The seller represented the T90 as working fine, but it wasn't. It had the dreaded "click-click" they get when they get to be about this old. I didn't care about the flash, although it did work. Surprise. I did care -- a lot -- for the lens, though. Cuz it's a 55mm f/1.2. Because of the way the seller had positioned his gear in his photos, only one showed a blurry "55mm". And it looked to be about the right size of a 1.2. The auction was getting no bidding activity until a couple of minutes before close, and then suddenly somebody entered a bid. Man, I was pissed. I figured the lens had gotten discovered. But I hung in there and entered my max bid during the final 10 seconds, the way I always do, and I ended up outbidding the other guy, whose max bid was only $10 more than what he'd entered. So I got the T90, an FD 50mm f/1.2, and a Sunpak flash for $150. But the T90 was busted, so I contacted the seller, explained to him that I wanted to keep everything else, and asked if he'd do a partial refund. He agreed and we settled on $90. So I got my 55mm f/1.2 FD -- a "chrome nose" pre-SSC model, btw -- for about $50, if I make a $10 allowance for the Sunpak. Not too shabby.

You know, I'm not actively attempting to collect old Canon gear; it just seems to work out that way. The stuff finds its way to me and then pleads, "take me home, please!" So what can I do? I can't just say no!

Okay, well sorry for this being so long, but I had some catching up to do.

Last edited by cooltouch on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total