Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What are smallest-lightest in 20-30mm range for Pentax?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: What are smallest-lightest in 20-30mm range for Pentax? Reply with quote

I am on a quest. I am building a mini-kit of very small and lightweight lenses, to fit in a small bag, to stuff into a cargo pocket or belt pouch. Total weight: about 450g / 1lb. The kit now contains:

* Enna Tele-Sandmar 100/4.5 (Argus mount) -- 110g
* Vivitar-LU 75/3.5 (enlarger lens) on M42 tubes -- 90g
* CZJ Tessar 50/2.8 (12 blades, Exakta mount) -- 110g

And sometimes I'll use a make-do from these lenses:

* Meyer Helioplan 40/4.5 (Exakta mount) -- 90g
* Enna Sandmar 35/4.5 (Argus mount) -- 60g
* Loreo 35/11 shift Lens-In-A-Cap (PK) -- 30g
* Pentax M28/2.8 (PK) -- too heavy at 150g

CRITERIA: I need wide-normal or wider. I'm looking for an ultra-light / pancake lens in the 20-30mm range, weighing 120g or less. A 60g 25/3.5 pancake would be ideal; a tiny 21/4 pancake would be nice; and Santa Claus could land on my roof. Wink I prefer German or Russian glass because I like the rendering, but a Japanese lens would do. Speed is not crucial, but f/4.5 or faster would be best. I can non-destructively adapt Argus and Exakta mounts; I can modify OM, AI, C/Y, and Petri mounts; I can use M39 (not LTM), M42, and PK mounts. My current lenses were extremely inexpensive. Cheap is good, but I *could* spend up to a couple hundred dollars (although I would rather not).

I raised this question on another forum; these were suggested:

* VMC Vivitar 28/2.8 (see this link) supposedly weighs 120g
* Rikenon XR Aspheric 28/3.5, which weighs about 60g

I cannot find these lenses for sale anywhere. Does anyone know where to buy either? Or can you suggest any other ultra-light lenses between 20-30mm that aren't terribly expensive? Thanks!

EDIT: I should have mentioned that I'm also open to RF lenses with registers around 35mm like the Argus-Enna Telemars. I have a trick for adapting those to PK. I see a Robot 30mm up for sale but I think its register is closer to 28mm, too short for my trick. What other ILC-RFs had longer registers?

Last edited by RioRico on Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be hard to top the 21mm limited pentax but not at $200. Perhaps the pentacon 30/3.5 which I'm looking for myself. I have the vivitar 19/3.5 in KA mount and I love it. but it is bigger around than some other lenses although it's not very long.

To be real honest I don't know of anything as small and light as the 21 limited Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is definitely a quest Very Happy

However, a 20-30mm less than 120g sounds like a push; I'd love to be proven otherwise.

In the mean time, why don't you trim down your kit by moving to an Industar 50-2 for your 50mm; that'll shave off another 55g, which would give you a bit more leeway for your wide-angle.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erkie wrote:
It would be hard to top the 21mm limited pentax but not at $200.

Oh, I know. At 140g it's almost not *too* heavy. And my eBay sales are going better than expected, so I *could* push that limit a bit. My main problems are 1) yeah, the cost, 2) it's not suitable for my FF film cams and the upcoming Pentax FF EVIL (ha!), and 3) it's almost too classy for the funky mini-kit, being AF and Ltd.

Another I'd considered: the pancake Fish-Eye-Takumar 18/11 at 100g -- but it's almost unusable, according to reviews. And I've never heard of 24-25mm pancakes or ultralights. So I'll probably end up with the lightest 28 possible. Ah well...

I should have mentioned that I'm also open to RF lenses with registers around 35mm like the Argus-Enna Telemars. I have a trick for adapting those to PK. I see a Robot 30mm up for sale but I think its register is closer to 28mm, too short for my trick. What other ILC-RFs had longer registers?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
That is definitely a quest Very Happy

Without quests, life is boring. The purpose of life is to find a purpose.
"You've got to have a dream; if you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?"

Quote:
However, a 20-30mm less than 120g sounds like a push; I'd love to be proven otherwise.

I know of the one example, the Rikenon XR Aspheric 28 that I mentioned, as well as the unusable Takumar Fisheye 18. So they *are* possible. Somewhere.

Quote:
In the mean time, why don't you trim down your kit by moving to an Industar 50-2 for your 50mm; that'll shave off another 55g, which would give you a bit more leeway for your wide-angle.

I have the I-50-2 but I just love the CZJ Tessar so much! Still, this mini-kit will evolve. The I-50-2 may be part of that evolution.

If (a big IF) I acquired the 21Ltd, I could put together a different mini-kit: the 21Ltd (140g), Meyer Helioplan 40/4.5 (100g), and an 80-90mm enlarger lens on the M42 focusing helicoid that should arrive soon -- probably in the 150g neighborhood. Ah, today's sales need to be VERY good if I'm to get the 21Ltd.

Last edited by RioRico on Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 28/2.8 Vivitar, Bauer made, not on your posted link, that weighs in @ 127gm (converted from ounces scale). Front element does not turn. Heavy by your criteria.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how heavy it is, but Pentacon 2.8/28 in PB mount feels very light compared to other 28s. It can easily be converted to PK mount by filing 0.4mm thickness off the three mount lugs and adjusting infinity at the front of the lens.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one thing is settled -- it won't be a DA21/3.2 Ltd! I just sniped one at US$300 but a snipebot snagged it for $310. A steal of a deal! Hear me squeal! So I'm back to looking for cheaper options.

revers wrote:
I have a 28/2.8 Vivitar, Bauer made, not on your posted link, that weighs in @ 127gm (converted from ounces scale). Front element does not turn. Heavy by your criteria.

That's not terribly heavy. I'll have to consider it!

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Not sure how heavy it is, but Pentacon 2.8/28 in PB mount feels very light compared to other 28s.

According to this praktica.planetaclix.pt page it weighs in at 240g, alas.

The quest continues. If only that 60g Rikenon XR Aspheric 28/3.5 would appear somewhere...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by revers on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see one on eBay now Rico:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vivitar-28-mm-F-2-8-Lens-Canon-/320803119069?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item4ab15b1fdd

Oh, and another:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIVITAR-MC-28mm-f-2-8-M-F-LENS-606-/170584985014?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item27b7a84db6

Last edited by revers on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may suit you, but its rare -

http://forum.mflenses.com/telisar-35-3-5-preset-m42-tiny-mystery-t19794,highlight,%2Btelisar.html

If you can mount Argus, how about the Argus Enna Sandmar 35/4.5 ?

http://forum.mflenses.com/argus-c3-and-its-lenses-t27812,highlight,%2Bargus.html

So, how do you mount Argus lenses ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ron,
The first one is Canon and I can't use that. The second is possible, but that price doesn't tempt me to abandon my M28/2.8, alas. Thanks for finding those!

luisalegria wrote:
This may suit you, but its rare -

http://forum.mflenses.com/telisar-35-3-5-preset-m42-tiny-mystery-t19794,highlight,%2Btelisar.html

Wow, that looks sweet! Could be interesting trying to track it down. None on the bay right now.

Quote:
If you can mount Argus, how about the Argus Enna Sandmar 35/4.5 ?

Got one. See my next comment.

Quote:
So, how do you mount Argus lenses ?

Register for Argus C3 and C33 is about 35mm. Pentax register is about 45.5mm. How to match that? By cheating!

From the C3, the Cintar 50 is about impossible. But the C3's Enna Sandmar 35 and Tele-Sandmar 100, and the C33's Steinheil 100, have rings right at the base that can be adhered to. I adapted one Tele-Sandmar 100 by cutting a hole in a thick PK body.cap and gluing it to that final gnurled ring. It's not hard to position for infinity focus -- the lens base extends about 1mm past the body.cap's bayonets, leaving plenty of clearance for the swinging mirror. The lens cost me $7, the cap was $1 -- big budget!

The glue (I used Gorilla Glue but contact cement should work too), although non-destructive, is a bit messy. My Sandmar 35 is presentation quality and I don't really want to muck it up so I'm looking for a funkier copy to adapt. I've dry-mounted my Sandmar 35 with kludged Series.6 and other adapters. The rings on the Ennas and Steinheil are minutely smaller than Series.6. If I can ever find 42mm-Series.6 step-down rings, they'll be easy to slide on and glue down. Lacking those adapters, it's the body.cap trick again.

I suspect the same trick can be used on other nonstandard RF lenses, those with register around 35mm, if such exist. That's beyond my experience but I'm always dreaming, eh?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This gram counting is a bit anal, don't you think? Why has it got to weigh a pound total? Just pick the best lenses you can that aren't overly large.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
This gram counting is a bit anal, don't you think? Why has it got to weigh a pound total? Just pick the best lenses you can that aren't overly large.

It's a goal, something to enliven my otherwise drab existence. I can put together enough other simple kits from my glass accumulation -- that's no problem. This is different: an involving quest, a search within strict parms, a challenge. When solved, I'll have a constrained but distinctive mini-kit. I'm inspired by my Oly Pen-FT kit of decades ago, when I could fit an entire SLR system into one pocket of a field jacket. My goal is similar: a complete-enough kit that I can shove into one pocket without ripping the stitches.

Accumulating lenses (or almost anything) is rather anal, isn't it? Or maybe it's just a game. [Game: a system to structure and occupy our time when we're not doing anything productive.] Some folks are happy with a few choice fast AF zooms that cover their working range. Why, just get a Tamron 10-14/3.5-4.5 and 28-75/2.8 and 70-200/2.8, and throw away every Takumar, Meyer, Jupiter, Schneider, Enna, Tomioka, Komine, Steinheil, Kilfit, Kiron, Makinon, all that tedious junk! Life would be so much simpler and cleaner!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the point of wanting a small shooting kit but obsessing about how many grams things are doesn't make much sense to me as a criteria.

I hate zooms lenses and I hate things made out of plastic so modern lenses are of zero interest to me, besides they mostly have inferior IQ and I have no use for AF.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about saving some gram on the 50mm, by choosing an Industar 50/3.5?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I understand the point of wanting a small shooting kit but obsessing about how many grams things are doesn't make much sense to me as a criteria.

I hate zooms lenses and I hate things made out of plastic so modern lenses are of zero interest to me, besides they mostly have inferior IQ and I have no use for AF.

Easy guys... Comparing sharpness or 3D effect can be considered just as anal for that matter, everyone has their own criteria for gear even if it may not make much sense for another person.

I think this is a nice distraction from the usual sharpness comparisons, I actually find it funny that some of the lenses I considered to be light (zuiko 24mm for instance) are actually quite heavy Smile (180 g in some versions).
Also I see a lot of stuff coming by that I would have never seen otherwise Smile .
I dont think you will find much in OM mount, at least no zuiko, the only other reasonably priced one is the 28/2.8 at 170g:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/28mm1.htm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the voigtlander skopor 20/3,5. It's very small, available for Pentax and I heard it was good!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it too late to mention the Pentacon 30 / 3.5 / a superb lens in every respect I think, the colour rendition is first class, it's sharp and above all - it's cheap. ( 0.181 g )

Takumar 28 /3.5 ? good lens, plenty around and nearly as cheap. But why do I use my Pentacon more ? ( 0.213 g )

Vivitar 28 / 2.8, great reputation, and deservedly so I think. The prices are rising, get them while you can. ( 0.172 g, but mine has some bits missing )

Tefnon 24 / 2.8 9 ( kobori ? ) I haven't used this very much ( Minolta MD ) but I think it's a good one, very very cheap ! ( 0.221 g )

Clubman 24 / 2.8 ( Ensinor ) Excellent lens, I'm very impressed. ( 0.222 g )

Soligor 30 / 3.5 Move along, nothing to see here. It was cheap, and deservedly so. ( 0.155 ) Don't feel tempted by it's lightness.

Did I mention the Pentacon 30 ? Yes I did, a clear winner. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Vivitar WA 2.8/28 (version M02 in your link) weighs exactly 181g with caps and 167g without, a lot more than 120g.

The little Super-Tak 3.5/35 even weighs 165/148g and the SMC Tak 28/3.5 a hefty 225/213g
Pentax-M 2.8/28 is 171/158g.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small dosen't always meen light. My Fujitar,Fujita, 2.5/35 is very small but weighs 232 grams.But the cool factor makes up for the extra weight. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Sorry for the delay, it's been a badly busy day Reply with quote

@Lloydy,
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll keep those in mind for other kits.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Hopefully it's just a parameter, not an obsession. (I have enough obsessions already.) The weight is a guideline and yes, a goal, and it can be fudged a little. Meanwhile, I don't despise modern-plastic-AF-zoom lenses; they have their uses. I just don't have many of them. So far, this mini-kit quest has led me to old manual metal+glass goodies. I like tiny old German glass, what I have of it.

enzodm wrote:
What about saving some gram on the 50mm, by choosing an Industar 50/3.5?

I mentioned that. Yes, I could finesse the short end of the mini-kit with my Industar-50-2 (70g) and Pentax-M 28/2.8 (150g). But the CZJ Tessar 50/2.8 (Exakta, 110g) is just so sweet, and it would be nice to have something exotic and tiny in the 20-30mm range. Like that rumored XR Rikenon 28/3.5 aspheric (70g?).

Ymmot wrote:
I think this is a nice distraction from the usual sharpness comparisons ...
Also I see a lot of stuff coming by that I would have never seen otherwise Smile .

Thanks for that. Variety is good. Exploring different options is good. I think many of us here look for different qualities in glass. If a lens isn't unique, why bother with it?

Smull wrote:
What about the voigtlander skopor 20/3,5. It's very small, available for Pentax and I heard it was good!

Wow, I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

peterqd wrote:
My Vivitar WA 2.8/28 (version M02 in your link) weighs exactly 181g with caps and 167g without, a lot more than 120g.

Ah, so my other source was misinformed. I can scratch that one off the candidates list. Thanks.

walter g wrote:
Small dosen't always meen light. My Fujitar,Fujita, 2.5/35 is very small but weighs 232 grams.But the cool factor makes up for the extra weight. Very Happy

Weirdness, geekiness, exoticism, all very important to me! And I can even afford it sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could go to the gym and workout, get that 6 pack and carry that lovely glass ! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternate strategy ! The lens workout ! Let your hobby be your workout !

The biggest, fattest, heaviest lenses in their class !

The old pre-AI Nikkors probably win most of these prizes, but who knows.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a huge Docter Optics zoom and a Tair-3C, between those two that's a few kilos of steel! lol

More seriously, I second David's recommendation of the Pentacon/Meyer 3.5/30, cracking lens and really small.