Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Telisar 35/3.5 preset M42 - tiny mystery
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Telisar 35/3.5 preset M42 - tiny mystery Reply with quote

I picked this up in a recent lot -

L-R - Telisar 35/3.5, S-M-C Takumar 35/3.5, Soligor preset 35/3.5

What is it ?

Telisar is a very uncommon 3rd-party brand. There are a few 135/4.5 lenses around under this make, plus these 35/3.5's, which are much more rare. So far I have seen Telisars in Leica screw mount and M42 only.

I had one of those 135/4.5's in Leica mount last year, and it had "Made in West Germany" on it. That, plus it had Isco caps and case plus a very similar appearance to the zebra period of Isco lenses in general, leads me to think that "Telisar" was probably a US distributors name for a line of Isco lenses.

The outstanding feature of this thing is its size. This is by far the smallest M42 lens I have. As you can see, its much smaller than the Takumar 35/3.5, and thats small. It is probably about the size of the Industar 50/3.5. The filter size is 40.5mm.

Its well made of brass for the most part, with an aluminum focus ring. The preset mechanism is curious, as the diaphragm ring works in an opposite direction to what one would expect, one turns it in the other direction from the aperture setting ring. The lens protrudes very far in the back, so far that at infinity my Pentax K100D mirror hits it, and that is a crop camera. I think the lens may need adjustment as it focuses a bit beyond infinity, and that should cure the mirror problem, but its still strange. Close focus is not very close for a 35mm, 2.3ft/0.7m, but there is not much room for a long helical on this. There is also some loss of coating on both the front and back elements, which is unfortunately common on these old German lenses.

Performance is exceptionally good I think, for what it is. This is one sharp lens even at f/3.5 in the center. At f/5.6-8 its at least as sharp as the Takumar 35/3.5 in the center and edge. It does rather well with respect to flare and contrast, though not quite as well as the Takumar. I can't detect any distortion, though of course a crop-sensor camera would not be the best for this. All in all, this is quite a surprising curiosity.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High quality shots.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures quality is very good.
This lens is a tiny gem.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Telisar Reply with quote

I have a very vague memory of this from the early 1960s - maybe even the the late 50s. But I don't think the brand was sold in the UK and possibly my recollection comes from seeing it advertised in USA photo magazines. I had a collection of them back then.

The long rear protrusion you mention suggests it was originally meant for the Edixa family which had relatively small mirrors. Unless it's focusing way back past its infinity setting I can't see some maladjustment being to blame for it catchnig the Pentax mirror.

Not much positive help, I'm afraid, but it's certainly an interesting and intriguing lens.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting!

So, it's finally answered: size does not count. Wink Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its size (and performance) reminds me of the tiny little Auto-Takumar 3.5/35 its about the same size as this little one. neat lens you have there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat lens , great samples!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Telisar 35/3.5 preset M42 - tiny mystery Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

Telisar is a very uncommon 3rd-party brand. There are a few 135/4.5 lenses around under this make, plus these 35/3.5's, which are much more rare. So far I have seen Telisars in Leica screw mount and M42 only.

Here's another Telisar (pictures below). I haven't found another like it. It's a 135/3.5, not 4.5, in a Leica mount. I find 135/3.5 M42 all chrome, but not black like this one. The gentleman who owned this lens used it as a cinema lens, with a c-mount adapter. If you know anything about this item, I'd be interested to know as well. (Sorry, my pix show up in msg preview, but not when I submit! If anyone know's what I'm doing wrong, please tell.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Telisar 35/3.5 preset M42 - tiny mystery Reply with quote

kevinsullivan wrote:
luisalegria wrote:

Here's another Telisar (pictures below). I haven't found another like it. It's a 135/3.5, not 4.5, in a Leica mount. I find 135/3.5 M42 all chrome, but not black like this one. The gentleman who owned this lens used it as a cinema lens, with a c-mount adapter. If you know anything about this item, I'd be interested to know as well. (Sorry, my pix show up in msg preview, but not when I submit! If anyone know's what I'm doing wrong, please tell.)

Welcome to this forum! I'll quote your message for the pictures to show up (anti-spam measure; first posts can never contain pictures).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice little lens and great results
welcome Kevin, this 135 is a beauty!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a Schacht lens I use to own... but that would be the similarity in focus ring only.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that 135 in LSM also (got it on ebay early last year), subsequently sold it. Thats the only other Telisar I have had.

I agree that it strongly resembles a Schacht. Unfortunately, it also resembles Isco and Enna (maybe more like an early 1960's metal-bodied Enna in knurling), while not being identical to any specific Schacht, Isco, or Enna model that I know of.

The Telisar 135 I had came with properly fitting Isco-labeled caps, if that means anything. It would not be usual for one makers cap that fits over the lens barrel (as opposed to going in the filter ring) to match as there is no outside diameter standard.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Telisar, a Rodenstock lens Reply with quote

Hi there,
came accross this thread only now.

Telisar was/is a tradename of Optische Werke G. Rodenstock in Munich/Germany located very close to Enna (also in Munich ) and also close to Schacht (60 km to Ulm, the city where Schacht was).
I did find recently a fairly unique mirror lens marked "G. Rodenstock Muenchen" and "Telisar 1:12 f=520mm" so there is the link between the Telisar lens name and manufacturer, which might not have been disclosed on OEM lenses delivered or made by Rodenstock for other companies as Schacht and Enna nearby at the time.

Georg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Georg!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thank you very much!
So its a Rodenstock. I speculate this was a cheaper line they did not want to label as Rodenstock.
That's another mystery solved.
These are very uncommon lenses, more so than the already quite scarce Rodenstock labelled SLR lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Telisar lenses have a very limited serial range begins with 571 or 572 on most lenses except the early one Click here to see on Ebay.

Rodenstock never officially made any 3.5/35 for SLR. The Eurygon 4/35 is the only 35mm with Rodenstock name.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

all what I can say is the engraving "Rodenstock" and " Telisar" on one lens as mentioned. The serial No. being engraved is "6 201 434"
further engraved is "IR" (=Infra Red ?) and " Eltro". Looks very much like an industrial optic, no focus, no "cosmetics", just a plain Aluminum tube black anodized, two mirrors, no fitting nothing.

Will post a picture asap.

Georg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An intriguing lens with an intriguing story. Cracking good photos