Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Welta 9x12 with Trioplan 15cm f:3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Welta 9x12 with Trioplan 15cm f:3.5 Reply with quote

They say size isn't everything, but it sure helps.

Welta 9x12cm with Meyer Gorlitz, Trioplan 15cm f:3.5 in Compur shutter.
This must have cost somebody an arm and leg when new.

And handily enough, the Rada rollfilm back I bought for the other one (and didn't fit), fits this, although I had to trim away some of the leatherette covering to reduce the thickness of the back sliderails. The Rada back was obviously meant to fit the metal-backed cameras like this, so I imagine many owners had to do similar.

It's a bit dog-eared at the moment, but will clean up nicely and I look forward to getting some pics out of it. It came with two plate holders, minus film inserts, but that's not a major problem now that I can run some 120 through it, as soon as tomorrow.

Last edited by Farside on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, 'tis a handsome beast, looking forward to those 120 shots!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great looking camera, with a nice fast lens.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot dog! What a beauty, that is very intresting indeed.

How do you arrange focusing with the 120 back?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How cool Dave! I can't wait to see it's result!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a gem!. It's very well conserved, hope the performance will be as good as it's nice looking!.

Enjoy it!

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, it's verra verra nice. I've been exercising the shutter and it's freed up beautifully, but the slowest marked speed of one second is remaining stubbornly fast at 1/4 sec- but if I turn the camera on its side it's ok. Confused

Nesster wrote:
Hot dog! What a beauty, that is very intresting indeed.

How do you arrange focusing with the 120 back?

I can use it on a tripod with the ground glass, or use the scale focus at the side - which I'll have to check the accuracy of.
One thing I've found is the min aperture is f:12.5, seems very odd. Maybe there's a good reason for that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it goes from f3.5 to f12.5? Perhaps the "speed" of the plate emulsion in those days was so slow that anything darker than 12.5 was useless.

Do you know how old it is? It looks pre-30s.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd assumed it was slightly later than the other wooden-bodied Welta, which I'm fairly sure is c.1928, and that has stops from 5.4 to 36. Then again, that's a much smaller lens, a mere 24mm in diameter.
I suspect the restricted aperture range is to do with the oversized nature of the whole assembly, it perhaps being difficult in those days to make a reliable wide range of apertures with the shape of the blades being dictated by the throat size, in this case 44mm dia.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spying the Compur serial# 47xxxx I look up the years 1920-22 as the manufacture year.

Re the stops, if this is such an old camera (I'm in awe) the stops may be indicated in some other system:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
So it goes from f3.5 to f12.5? Perhaps the "speed" of the plate emulsion in those days was so slow that anything darker than 12.5 was useless.

Film was not that slow back then - it was no accident that they already had shutters reaching down to 1/200 to 1/500s. Fast films post WWI were in the ISO 100 range, and more than f/12.5 would have been quite desirable even with the then regular ISO 12 films.

On many plate folders of similar construction the aperture is offset from the optical node of the lens for reasons of better collapsibility - and offset apertures cause a focus drift which limits the practically useful aperture range.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this camera. It's wanderfull. Like a beautyfull woman.

And love the lens too.

Where are these cameras ?????

Congratulation, lucky man! Confused

Enjoy Wink