Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtländer SL APO Lanthar serial numbers production volumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
Nikon AIS CV180/4 9330720.
Mine Smile

Laughing Congrats!! Nice to see you back!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something odd posting images here!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll contribute:

EF CV125/2.5: 9130856
PK CV90/3.5: 9220329

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
Mine Smile

Hey, that's great news Chris! I suspect that your Nikkor 180/2.8 ED AIS will suffer the same fate mine did after the CV180 came along (solitude at the back of the lens drawer)...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Chris, you'll love it - which I am sure you knew before you got it Smile

Welcome Fons Baerken, you will see many acquaintancies from Nikongear here Cool

Fons Baerken wrote:

There is something odd posting images here!

When you join, in your 1st post you can't post images. Spam prevention. From now on, your images will show up normally.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james wrote:
ChrisLilley wrote:
Mine Smile

Hey, that's great news Chris! I suspect that your Nikkor 180/2.8 ED AIS will suffer the same fate mine did after the CV180 came along (solitude at the back of the lens drawer)...

I did a quick comparative test of the two, out the window on a tripod on a sunny day. Both at each whole aperture from f/4 to f/11.

The CV180 has markedly less (not zero but far less) axial colour, really noticeable at f/4 and still visible at f/8 in fact. Close focus at 1.2m much better than the 1.8m of the 180ed, too.

And its a very small lens for a 180.

It seems hard to get the exact focus, the movement is all 'bunched up' near the infinity end. So unfortunately I couldn't exactly compare detail and microcontrast; the test shots simply showed that the point of focus for the cv180 series was in front of where I thought it was, and not the same place as the 180ed series. Needs more practice on my part.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:

It seems hard to get the exact focus, the movement is all 'bunched up' near the infinity end. So unfortunately I couldn't exactly compare detail and microcontrast; the test shots simply showed that the point of focus for the cv180 series was in front of where I thought it was, and not the same place as the 180ed series. Needs more practice on my part.

That's my biggest complaint about it. Take a slight breath while focused at a distant object and the focus confirmation is lost. I briefly used a Leica 3,4/180 Telyt APO and the reverse was the case (since it's optimized for infinity focus). Far more forgiving at infinity or near-infinity focus.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Voigtländer SL APO-Lanthar lenses are all designated Close Focus in the official product name. They are clearly all three designed for close focus use, it shows in the excellent bokeh capabilities as well as minimal or none axial CA.

Their weakness is in handling near infinity, the focus is geared for precise near focus use. It takes time to learn the 180/4 as it's a tele which gives less depth of field even at longer distances. I even practiced for 1 week focusing and photographing surfers before I could safely say the lensis now memorized in my spine, so to say.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted it's a Close Focus lens (printed in LARGE LETTERS all over the box) which implies that its optimized for these distances. But it's very tricky at those far distanced objects to precisely get a stable focus confirmation. I'm not certain whether in real life shooting that makes a difference; it simply is exasperating obtaining the green dot confirmation. This is not the case with my magenta-fringing Nikkor 180 ED. A trade off I'm willing to live with. Did I remember to say it's really compact... Cool

There's a great comparison that appeared on Flickr of the CV 180 next to a Leica 180 Elmarit APO, a lens roughly the same size of the Nikkor 180 ED AiS. Worth a look:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31761614@N08/3574162386/in/set-72157608587105231/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a CV180 in Contax/Yashica mount

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a CV125 in Canon EF mount list here Click here to see on Ebay from Lucca/Italy (!!)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
a CV125 in Canon EF mount list here Click here to see on Ebay from Lucca/Italy

A lens from the first batch manufactured in EF mount (this batch 1000 units, total likely only 1500 units). New addition to serial database, thanks Klaus!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by chance has anyone got a manual for the lens (any European language + Chinese + Vietnamese + Japanese is ok).

I ran across your thread about six months ago and envied you a lot seeing I was looking for a 125 f2.5 SL macro APO Lanthar; thought that the first thing I'd do if I ever managed to find one was look you up again. Well here I am!
Found one on e-bay from a seller in Seoul with a native EOSMount.
Paid a right eye-arm-leg for it......up side is it's mint.

Lens: 125 f2.5 SL macro APO Lanthar
Number is: 9130038 -machine numbered.
Engraving "japan"

Thanks in advance to anybody with the manual!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, 9130038 is lowest serial known existing in EOS mount. One of the very first to leave the factory.

Darioratti wrote:
by chance has anyone got a manual for the lens (any European language + Chinese + Vietnamese + Japanese is ok).

I have the manuals for all three APO-Lanthars but I don't recall where I've placed them. Nothing special about the manuals, every lens manual just has some Japanese symbols and then the basic facts printed in letters (fastest aperture, minimum focusing distance, weight etc.). The manual is no more than a piece of paper folded twice, unfolded perhaps 2 cigarrette packs wide.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thais all the same Vilhelm.

Thumbs up for your work!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PKA mount, Apo Lanthar 125mm f2.5 Serial number 9150496.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VSL Auto-Topcor 58mm f1.4 Ai/s: 9410041x

Finally acquired the SLI that I was missing, shame it's not in the same mount as the others though Smile

BTW Vilhelm, where are you listing your update serial no info?
I notice that the top post of this topic hasn't been updated since February.

Cheers,
Reuben0

Auto-Topcor 58mm f1.4 by Mike Woolley, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben0 wrote:

Serial for that lens made in 2004 should have only 7 digits, your post has has 8 digit serial - please check again.

Reubeno0 wrote:
BTW Vilhelm, where are you listing your update serial no info? I notice that the top post of this topic hasn't been updated since February.]

The more serials I receive, the less "new" information I discover. Which is also the reason why there has been no big update to the information lately. Today I made an update the first post of this topic today - nothing "big" but some improvements on accuracy.

Internet generation wants results, not raw data. Which is why I have not shared the Excel with the data, but rather chosen to publish the executive summary. If I make the data a Google spreadsheet I am sure it will not take long before data is corrupted by malicious entries.

Vilhelm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was watching an auction in Japan of a CV125 with deeply scratched rear element and dust inside - even that one sold for way too much!

Looking forward to that spreadsheet, I'm very interested!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Was watching an auction in Japan of a CV125 with deeply scratched rear element and dust inside - even that one sold for way too much!

Unless someone was looking for parts, that's just crazy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That piece (Nikon mt version that is) has gotten so rare that people pay silly prices now.
Maybe I should sell mine too (MINT in box, all complete) Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supply vs. demand, supply vs. demand... Cool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
Reuben0 wrote:

Serial for that lens made in 2004 should have only 7 digits, your post has has 8 digit serial - please check again.

Just double checked - the Auto-Topcor does indeed have the above serial number inscribed on the front ring.

HTH,
Reuben0

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben0 wrote:

Just double checked - the Auto-Topcor does indeed have the above serial number inscribed on the front ring.

HTH,
Reuben0

Great news. This is new to me, first time I encounter this serial range. I will update data accordingly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture:

R