Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtländer SL APO Lanthar serial numbers production volumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
Another Voigtländer belonging to a new forum member, 180mm f/4 APO Lanthar in Nikon N/AI-S mount serial 93310**. This is one of the last 180/4 lenses that rolled out of the Cosina factory, one of less than 1,000 copies manufactured in Nikon mount.

Mine is an AIS, serial number 93304** (already registered with your database) so also in that same last batch?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
Another Voigtländer belonging to a new forum member, 180mm f/4 APO Lanthar in Nikon N/AI-S mount serial 93310**. This is one of the last 180/4 lenses that rolled out of the Cosina factory, one of less than 1,000 copies manufactured in Nikon mount.

james wrote:
Mine is an AIS, serial number 93304** (already registered with your database) so also in that same last batch?

James, your 180/4 is also from the same last batch. Batch size total about 1300 lenses (possibly more can exist but no serial to prove it). This last batch of about 1300 Voigtländer 180/4 APO Lanthars included mostly Nikon N/Ai-S mount versions (about 750) but also Pentax K-A (about 250). The rest is a handful of 180/4 in Olympus OM, Pentax M42 and the rarest of them all, Contax C/Y. The 180/4 was never manufactured in Canon mount, nor Leica thread mount (LTM). Year of manufacture was 2003.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

updated the original post with some new information, including original retail pricing and updates to estimated production volumes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

here my lenses:
75/2.5: PK-A/R, 9031227 "Japan"
90/3.5: PK-A, 9160941 "Japan"
125/2.5: PK-A/R, 9121896 "Japan"
180/4: PK-A, 9341022 "Lens made in Japan"

The mark for the lens mount is indeed sometimes "PK-A" and sometimes "PK-A/R". I don't know if there is some reason for that.

Cheers,

Norbert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coon wrote:
Hello there,

here my lenses:
75/2.5: PK-A/R, 9031227 "Japan"
90/3.5: PK-A, 9160941 "Japan"
125/2.5: PK-A/R, 9121896 "Japan"
180/4: PK-A, 9341022 "Lens made in Japan"

The mark for the lens mount is indeed sometimes "PK-A" and sometimes "PK-A/R". I don't know if there is some reason for that.

Cheers,

Norbert

Welcome to the forum, and thank you Norbert for your contribution!

That's a very rare collection, as manufacturing volumes for each of those lenses with PK-A bayonet are only about 750-1000 per lens, most likely even less than that for the 180/4.

The PK-A/R naming is to the best of my knowledge a version of the K-A bayonet which includes an extra pin, that allows for added functionality (in Aperture priority mode) on certain Ricoh bodies that use the Pentax K-A mount.

Someone who knows the mount better than I can probably verify or correct this?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The PK-A/R naming is to the best of my knowledge a version of the K-A bayonet which includes an extra pin, that allows for added functionality (in Aperture priority mode) on certain Ricoh bodies that use the Pentax K-A mount.

Ok, that makes sense. I've heard of the "infamous Ricoh pin" before. Nevertheless, the mount of all lenses is identical, none of them has this pin. They still have the different mount markings at the barrel. Btw, they are all "chipped" in the sense that they have the Pentax A contact, thus I think the SL series is only "unchipped" in Nikon F mount.

Norbert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One for sale here Y/C mount, serial# visible in pics

Click here to see on Ebay.de

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon EF 9130537

on sale in Australia here Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon EF 9131022

on ebay Click here to see on Ebay from UK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Canon EF 9131022

An interesting by-product of collecting these serials into a spreadsheet is the fact that since I make a note next to serial in case I pick it from an eBay description... Anyone interested in bidding on this auction might be curious to ask himself why this particular copy (serial matches) is up for sale on eBay for the 3rd time in 1 year.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
kds315* wrote:
Canon EF 9131022

An interesting by-product of collecting these serials into a spreadsheet is the fact that since I make a note next to serial in case I pick it from an eBay description... Anyone interested in bidding on this auction might be curious to ask himself why this particular copy (serial matches) is up for sale on eBay for the 3rd time in 1 year.

....being traded like commodities on the collector's circuit.

Although I have been puzzled why the CV 125 has never had the appeal to Canonistas as it has for Nikon and Pentax shooters. Especially since the EOS version is chipped.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james wrote:
Although I have been puzzled why the CV 125 has never had the appeal to Canonistas as it has for Nikon and Pentax shooters. Especially since the EOS version is chipped.

Possibly because a lot of the other mount versions this lens was made in can be used on Canon with adapter, and those are available for less than half the price. Furthermore, (studio) macro work has less benefit from being chipped as lighting is very controlled, and lens used on macro rack or tripod.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M42 version

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Klaus. I can't verify the serial despite upscaling image in photoshop. Do you have a link to the original post (for sale?)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, all I have...

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CV180/4 Canon FD
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CV125, C/Y version (sold by me) 9121218

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Serial Number for EF Mount Reply with quote

125/2.5 in EF (Canon) mount serial is 9130110

Robert DeCandido PhD
NYC

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Serial Number for EF Mount Reply with quote

rdcny wrote:
125/2.5 in EF (Canon) mount serial is 9130110

Robert DeCandido PhD
NYC

Congratulations! But also on stumping Bjorn Rorslett (self-styled "Fierce Bear of the North" on nikongear.com) on the absence of an aperture ring in the EOS version.

He's more of a fierce boor of the north, anyhow. Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Serial Number for EF Mount Reply with quote

james wrote:

I hold Bjørn Rørslett in highest regard, due to his inclination to judge lenses both scientifically as well as applied to real use. Given his background he is the perfect nit-picking master to judge a lens, but he has enough character to remain someone who uses lenses as they were intended to. Anyone can make any lens look bad, very few can make a lens deliver fantastic results.

Bjørn Rørslett sure is one of those photographers who can deliver, regardless of what camera and lens they are given.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Serial Number for EF Mount Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
james wrote:

I hold Bjørn Rørslett in highest regard, due to his inclination to judge lenses both scientifically as well as applied to real use. Given his background he is the perfect nit-picking master to judge a lens, but he has enough character to remain someone who uses lenses as they were intended to. Anyone can make any lens look bad, very few can make a lens deliver fantastic results.

Bjørn Rørslett sure is one of those photographers who can deliver, regardless of what camera and lens they are given.

As a technical expert, I agree whole-heartedly. His guide to Nikkors has no equal and the assessments provided are the reference-standard; always spot-on, honest, well considered and borne out of vast experience as a scientist, technician and artist. His behavior toward other human beings however, namely participants on that website leaves much to be desired and revealed more about his character than the mechanical devices he appears to relate to with greater consideration.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Serial Number for EF Mount Reply with quote

james wrote:
His behavior toward other human beings however, namely participants on that website leaves much to be desired and revealed more about his character than the mechanical devices he appears to relate to with greater kindness.

He is Scandinavian, with very deep insight on what he is reviewing. You have to understand that previously we used to slaye people who disagreed.

That was in the Viking ages, when we ruled all over Europe.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we are all human and we all have our multi facetted sides (at least I have Wink ) . I highly respect Bjørns know how and professionalism as well as his artistic view of the world, where I certainly still can learn a lot. His tone can be rough at times, but so what, he is how he is and the German that I am also has some rough sides Wink And please do not forget that the first aspheric quartz lenses were grinded by Vikings, long before ZEISS or Voigtländer, resolving 30 microns! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visby_lenses

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bjorn is there when you need him.

He is not afraid of taking chances.

He has everyone's respect.

He has great wit.

For a scientist, it is amazing he can see the world in such an imaginative way.

And despite being Scandinavian, he has a (wry) sense of humour...