Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtländer SL 180mm f/4 APO Lanthar at christening
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Voigtländer SL 180mm f/4 APO Lanthar at christening Reply with quote

Guess the lens used here? Lens wide open (no vignetting removal), exposed at ISO 4000 (noise reduction off), neutral color profile, no tweaking of contrast

100% crops of the above image file

center

upper right corner

Hint: This is a frame I shot at a christening ceremony, paid assignment

Last edited by Esox lucius on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:32 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90mm f/3.5 Apo-Lanthar? As this was shot wide open and I see no signs of CA whatsoever.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has to be something that will fit a Nikon.......... But not necessarilly focus infinity..... Id go for something around the 80-100mm range too. How about the Tessar 8cm f/2.8???

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both good guesses, it could be the 90/3.5 but flattening of perspective here is playing tricks on you (the family is actually standing some distance behind the godparents).

The Tessar 8cm f/2.8 that I adapted to Nikon actually gives very similar type of looks in photos I've taken with it. You are not the only one to think this lens paints like a large format lens, Bjørn Rørslett notes the same thing in his user comments about this lens:

http://nikongear.com/smf/index.php?topic=17200.msg161729#msg161729

It is the Voigtländer SL 180mm f/4 APO Lanthar, and it is not at its best here - detail improves when stopped down to f/5.6 (which also removes the slight vignetting). This is truly one of those "every aperture excellent" lenses that give you photos which require no post-processing whatsoever. More samples can be found by clicking the lens tag in my profile signature, or reading this forum topi: http://forum.mflenses.com/voigtlaender-sl-180mm-f-4-apo-lanthar-original-size-samples-t14183.html

Last edited by Esox lucius on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a fellow owner of the 125mm f/2.5 Apo-Lanthar I knew that I was right. Super sharp right from wide open and no signs of CA... That was a dead giveaway. But I'm not good at guessing focal lengths, especially when I do not know the sensor format used Smile

BTW, a very nice shot, the family must be happy!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Family was very happy, they commented on the "look" of the photos which they found very appealing (not a surprise, as most people are used to point-and-shoot photo looks...)

I just finished a book with 67 selected images from the christening and am very happy that spring is here with long days, there's enough light even to use slow lenses like the 180/4 used here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
Family was very happy, they commented on the "look" of the photos which they found very appealing (not a surprise, as most people are used to point-and-shoot photo looks...)

I just finished a book with 67 selected images from the christening and am very happy that spring is here with long days, there's enough light even to use slow lenses like the 180/4 used here.

ISO 4000 really opens the door as well, yet showing good dynamic range and noise performance here. I wouldn't have the same results with my A900, though with SSS, I'd probably be able to cheat back the ISO a few stops. I like the 180/4 quite a lot (used to have one for my Pentax) but I'm really impressed by the camera, haha. At any rate, a great result!

K.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellently done Vilhelm!