Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Volna-3 mount question strikes again.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Volna-3 mount question strikes again. Reply with quote

Hello all you MF lovers,
I have a question on an adapter and lens I find getting a lot of attention lately. I find I have an opportunity to purchase the Volna-3 for good price, but its mount confuses me.
This particular Volna-3 comes in the Kiev 80 mount, not written as the 88 mount [?], and its further advertised as belonging to the Hasselblad 1000F. The only other ID I can give you on this lens that it comes with a 62mm front filter mount. Now normally I would wait for this lens to show in the more consumer friendly Pentacon 6 mount but I’m wondering if the Hassy mount to EOS adapter will work [?] and might it be a desirable mount to have for my Canon 40d? I did a quick search but find myself getting more confused at the moment. Any takers on this one?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have this lens in P6 mount, so I can't really help you.
I just know that there are Hasselblad-Adapters. You need to find out which Hasselblad mount the Volna uses.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy a Kiev-88 to Pentacon-6 adapter, and then a Pentacon-6 to EOS adapter.
In theory this should work, in practice I never tried it so you would do it at your own risk.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm... now isnt this interesting. If what you say is correct Orio, I have found a Kiev-88 to EOS adapter at the hartblei.com site. Click here and see the listings page, scroll to the bottom and click on medium format lens adapters... look for kiev-88 <eos> http://www.hartblei.com/price_list.htm

I wonder if this would save me a step?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, save you a step but not money. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Yes, save you a step but not money. Wink

Haha... but think of how many new lenses you could buy Carsten!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For definite, the Kiev-80 uses a triple-start thread the same as the K-88, see here...
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/russian/kiev_80/kiev_80.htm

Depends if you want to get the threaded adapter or not - personally I wouldn't bother, as there as so many Volna-3s in P6 or Kiev-60 mount available.
You'd not be saving anything by buying a slightly cheaper K-80/88 one and adding the adapter cost - in fact, it will add up to more than the cost of a straight P6 fit lens. Looks like the prices of K-88 lenses has risen in the past few months as sellers try to cash in on the demand for Russian glass.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much Dave,
Reading at the end of your pdf [p18] indicates a handful of lenses available for the Kiev-80 [4 lenses]. Certainly there must be more as my Volna is not among those listed. Some of the Mir lens I like. Is buying this adapter still considered a bad idea if other lenses were to be purchased for it? Again thanks for your post... at least my confusion has cleared. Bruce

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have three or four lenses to share the adapter across, it might be worthwhile if the lens costs are low enough. You'd have to watch what type of adapter you get though, as from what I've seen some of them are two-piece (so you pay for a piece you don't really need - the bit that would turn a K-88 camera into a K-88CM effectively) and one piece is locked on the lens so not easily transferred from lens to lens. A simple one-piece adapter will be cheaper and might be /should be transferrable.
I have a Volna-3 with K-88 thread and have been looking at getting an adapter for it, but weighing up whether it's worth it or not.
The lens is optically nice enough, but if I buy an adapter it's got to pay for itself- not just for one lens.