Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Getting film developed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:56 pm    Post subject: Getting film developed Reply with quote

After having used manual focus lenses for a number of years, very recently I have started dabbling in shooting film. In that respect I guess I am lucky because there is a photography shop a 10 minute walk from my house that still carries film. Today I went there to hand in my first roll of film in decades.

At this photography shop I learned that they still develop film themselves, they don't send it out. As a matter of fact, the person helping me said they get film from photography shops in a wide areas because they are the only ones around who can still develop.

So I am very fortunate in that respect I guess. Also, they might be able to do it this coming week (apparently it they process film when they have a large enough batch) because they have a backlog of film to develop. However, the reason they have this backlog is because something broke on their developing machine..... Shocked A repair person is coming this week to try to fix it.

Fingers firmly crossed.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with it.

Just dropped off a roll of C-41 this morning.
It sure isn't what it used to be- price point is a little high.
What I get is a little bit different now, too.
The film is still chemical developed, but the prints are made from digital scans of the negatives, and are digital prints.
Apparently there's only one place left in this country that uses the chemical/paper process to make prints.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily 40 minutes away in Peterborough, ON is my developer.
Yes they are scanned negatives, and I get them to scan mine to a usb thumb drive so I can use them otherwise.
We can only hope analog film becomes the new vinyl and new developing options come into existence.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place that develops film 10 minutes from where I live has an option of having your pictures scanned. So that might mean that the pictures are "real" prints perhaps? I will have to ask them about that.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like https://thedarkroom.com/ a few hundred miles down the coast from here. I suppose you could send the film and download the scans without having them return the developed film. To save 1/2 shipping cost. In my experience in this dusty environment scanning film is near impossible; results from lab are usually dust- and scratch-free

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
The place that develops film 10 minutes from where I live has an option of having your pictures scanned. So that might mean that the pictures are "real" prints perhaps? I will have to ask them about that.

Regards, C.

Answering my own question. I asked them when the scan takes places. Answer: they scan the negatives and print from there. If you want the files they check a box to save the scans to disk.

Regards, C.