Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Origins of the MFL slang
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:28 pm    Post subject: Origins of the MFL slang Reply with quote

I was pretty sure that "plastic fantastic" expression comes from the late 70s or 80s, when metal parts are replaced progressively with plastic ones. The Urban dictionary seems to confirm such chronology, speaking of the 80s an 90s. Meanwhile there is a piece by Jefferson Airplaine which has this title and comes from the late 60s. It has nothing to do with photo equipment. But I wonder if it is not the earlier origin of the expression in pop culture, further migrated to MFL realm.

Another slang word is widely used in lens sales, to say the lens is almost new and shines of quality. The word is "mint". As far as I know, it doesn not come from fresh mint plant and beverage, but from coin production. A coin just came from a mint facility looks shiny "mint". And I found a confirmation in Wikipedia to this origin.

Which other specific words would you cite and clarify the origins?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChatGPT:

Quote:
While the exact origins of some slang terms in the photography and lens community may be challenging to trace definitively, the examples you provided offer interesting insights. Here are a couple of other terms along with potential origins:

Bokeh:
Origin: Bokeh comes from the Japanese word "ボケ," which translates to "blur" or "haze." In photography, it refers to the aesthetic quality of the out-of-focus areas in an image.

Prime Lens:
Origin: The term "prime" in photography likely originates from the idea that these lenses have a fixed focal length, meaning they have a single or "prime" magnification.

Crop Factor:
Origin: The term "crop factor" is linked to the transition from film to digital cameras. It describes the apparent magnification of a lens when used on a camera with a smaller sensor compared to a full-frame sensor.

Fast Lens:
Origin: Describing a lens as "fast" refers to its wide aperture, allowing more light to enter and enabling faster shutter speeds. This term is derived from the speed at which the lens can capture images in low-light conditions.

Pixel Peeping:
Origin: Pixel peeping refers to closely examining individual pixels in an image, often at high magnification. The term reflects the meticulous scrutiny of details in digital images.

It's essential to note that slang terms in photography often evolve within the community and may not have a single, universally agreed-upon origin. They can emerge from technical aspects, historical contexts, or even creative interpretations within the community.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

always wondered what type of glue some people are using when they have ' a lens glued to their camera..'

some are even welding their lenses to the camera bodies - I do not even dare to ask how much that cost ..

3d pop: it must be me, but im missing seeing 1d, 2d and 4d pop - anywhere

lens rendering: if something is ' rendering' in digital photography, that would be the sensor in the first place, however accordiing to the lens lovers, their lenses are 'rendering' too ... most extraordinary

lens testing: __________ (fill your self in ..)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
ChatGPT:

See my tests of ChatGPT concerning accuracy an reliability here (excerpts from hte CHatGPT answers today):
Q: "Which lens is better minolta md 2.8/21mm or konica AR 2.8/21mm?"
ChatGPT wrote:
The Konica lens has a focal length of 21mm and an aperture of f/2.8 2, while the Minolta lens has a focal length of 28mm and an aperture of f/2.8

Q: Sonnar 1.5/5cm
ChatGPT wrote:
The Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 5cm 1.5 is a 50mm lens with a maximum aperture of f/1.5. It is a Contax RF mount lens with a minimum focus distance of 0.9 mm and a filter size of 40.5mm"

Q: Me complaining about the wrong answer, the ChatGPT:
ChatGPT wrote:
I'm sorry, but I am not capable of discussing the internal workings of other AI models. However, I can tell you that the minimum focusing distance (MFD) of the Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 5cm 1.5 lens is indeed 0.9mm

According to ChatGP, "Zeiss Oberkochen" was founded in 1846. Minutes later on, responding to an almost identical question, it said "1946" instead. OOPS.

S

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! I note that the AI shifts the frame. "Fast lens" does not seem to be a slang expression, it is more a scientific way to speak about wide aperture.

Alex_d, 3D pop is well spotted! Rendering, on the contrary, is a generic word from imagery practice which was used well before digital era.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rendering, on the contrary, is a generic word from imagery practice which was used well before digital era.

in what format? im sure i never have heard it in 135.

hovever, very possible in the large format but thats some other cookie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean the word was used even before photography was invented.

This is what Webster dictionary says: Render is to reproduce or represent by artistic or verbal means : depict.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-D is short for Three-Dimensional

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
I mean the word was used even before photography was invented.

This is what Webster dictionary says: Render is to reproduce or represent by artistic or verbal means : depict.

well, have to admit after reading all the possible meanings for render - definitely maybe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.etymonline.com/word/render

Quote:
late 14c., rendren, rendre, "repeat, say again, recite; translate," from Old French rendre "give back, present, yield" (10c.) and Medieval Latin rendere, from Vulgar Latin *rendere, a variant of Latin reddere "give back, return, restore," from red- "back" (see re-) + combining form of dare "to give" (from PIE root *do- "to give").

The alteration in Vulgar Latin was perhaps simply nasalization or perhaps on analogy of its antonym, prendre "to take" (itself a contraction of prehendere). The irregular retention of -er in a French verb in English is perhaps to avoid confusion with native rend (v.) or by influence of a Middle English legalese noun render "a payment of rent," which is in part from French noun use of the infinitive.

The sense of "reduce," in reference to fats, "clarify by boiling or steaming" also is from late 14c. The meaning "hand over, yield up, deliver" is recorded from c. 1400; sense of "to return" (thanks, a verdict, etc.) is attested from late 15c., as is that of "make or cause to be) in a certain state; the meaning "represent, depict" is attested from 1590s. Related: Rendered; renderer; rendering. Also compare rendition, rent (n.1).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More of an ebay term: Declicked (I took it apart and lost the little ball bearing and spring, now I'll pretend that's what was intended)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most interesting excusrsions into etymology. A common (ill defined)expression is micro contrast . Evn mr. Nasses paper on contrast v/s resolution and MFT does not provide any precise limits. Not likely that analogous expressions occur in middle english or latin.

p.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
More of an ebay term: Declicked (I took it apart and lost the little ball bearing and spring, now I'll pretend that's what was intended)

Reclicked - i found the ball ...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
Alun Thomas wrote:

Reclicked - i found the ball ...

Congrats Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
most interesting excusrsions into etymology. A common (ill defined)expression is micro contrast . Evn mr. Nasses paper on contrast v/s resolution and MFT does not provide any precise limits. Not likely that analogous expressions occur in middle english or latin.

p.

For lens contrast, I will look lines representing the spatial frequency of 10 lines/mm. I won't use the term "micro contrast" as the word micro don't provide an extra information. On photo editing, we do have terms like "local contrast" and "global contrast".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOLDEN AGE: lenses made after the development of good multicatings but before the plastic fantasticization. These lenses perform quite admirably compared to many modern offerings and with decent care should last indefinitely (unlike today's offerings made of plastic and laden with electronic contrivances).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you ask AI to create an image of stevemark you get this:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait ... why are corners so sharp and that house so micro-contrasty clear ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I ask the arrtificial imbecility (perplexity.ai) to test its "knowledge" I get mostly drivel; an average of website opinions father than facts.

In the few instances where I found out somethiong i did not know(asking about the lens diagram of the Jupiter 37) it claimed that no info at all was available, while one of the forum postings it quoted accompanying the reply actually had such a diagram as an illustration (A sonnar clone like the Jupiter.11).

In other cases it just referred me to read the manufacturer specifications (without providing them).

Altogether, AI "truth" so far is equivalent to doing science by opinion poll : higly unreliable and sometimes self contadicting and inconsistent. However, the nonsene is always delivered in a polished manner. One should be grateful that robots with such a brain cannot yet run for political office.

p.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
when I ask the arrtificial imbecility (perplexity.ai) to test its "knowledge" I get mostly drivel; an average of website opinions father than facts.

In the few instances where I found out somethiong i did not know(asking about the lens diagram of the Jupiter 37) it claimed that no info at all was available, while one of the forum postings it quoted accompanying the reply actually had such a diagram as an illustration (A sonnar clone like the Jupiter.11).

In other cases it just referred me to read the manufacturer specifications (without providing them).

Altogether, AI "truth" so far is equivalent to doing science by opinion poll : higly unreliable and sometimes self contadicting and inconsistent. However, the nonsene is always delivered in a polished manner. One should be grateful that robots with such a brain cannot yet run for political office.

p.

Like 1 Like 1

D1N0 wrote:
When you ask AI to create an image of stevemark you get this: pic]

Laugh 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
wait ... why are corners so sharp and that house so micro-contrasty clear ?

Because AI uses Nikkor

Nikkor AI or AI-S (even better)

Mr. Green

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

... or AI-S (even better)

Mr. Green

yes .. widely known

also great for mesmerising bouquet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dream about / of ...

Despite having ~ 99.86% of existing photo gear, much of it bought el cheapo,
there always seems to be that one elusive 0.14% missing from the collection.
It's the very thing that ignites my imagination and keeps me dreaming about the endless possibilities.
Because .... let's face it .. having that crucial element would undoubtedly elevate my photography to unimaginable heights.
Ohhh myyy, the wonders and the splendid joy it would bring to my digital dreamZ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
When you ask AI to create an image of stevemark you get this:

Like 1 Friends

Last edited by calvin83 on Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:31 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

Hmm... yes.
I had the misfortune to buy a declicked Tamron SP 35-210 26a last year, that wasn't listed as such. The lens otherwise is in fantastic condition and was quite cheap, so I'm not too bothered. I found that by doubling an elastic band around the collar next to the aperture ring, it frictionates the ring into holding position quite well.