Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Origins of the MFL slang
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silky smooth focusing

Not sure if this counts as MFL "slang", but I have seen it used a lot...

I interpret it to mean the ability to control the focus grip without any hint of stiction or hysteresis, and where the viscosity of the lubricant is constant with stress, i.e. perfectly lubricated with a Newtonian lubricant.

Butter smooth focusing

Similar to the above, but now the viscosity of the lubricant decreases with stress, i.e. perfectly lubricated with a pseudoplastic non-Newtonian lubricant.

GAS attack (Gear Acquisition Syndrome attack)

A sudden irresistible craving for more photography-related gear which manifests itself in the actual purchase of cameras or lenses which are completely surplus-to-requirement. Whilst we may intuitively relate this to photography equipment, a quick internet search suggests this also applies very much to musicians and guitars/effect pedals...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we could add the value of a lens like a price for a dinner lol, or a beer, coffee ....
Doesn't mention what would be the place for the dinner or coffee/beer
An interesting point of view how we evaluate our GAS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An evaluative expression like "clinical " lcan be literally understood as someting clean, well lit and clearly visible on the oprating table, rather than a piece of undesirable garbage, or perhaps it refers to the ill patient waiting to be cured.

Usually it applies to higly corrected , contrasty optics, and may vary considerably between users but is not easiily measured.

p.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then there are terms like "fringing" which in my case adds purple edges to some parts of a subject.

CA's- Chromatic Abberation(s)

MFD- Minimum Focus Distance.

Focus Throw- how far a lens turns from MFD to infinity, sometimes measured in degrees.

Gray (Grey) Card- Kodak exposure tool consisting of a hardened card that reflects 18%, usually used for meter readings.

There's probably a lot more like this...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leica user: " .. one body one lens .." ..

"..yeah.."

then talks bout the leica gear but makes no pics

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whohoo, felows, so interesting examples and observations!

As we make a slightly larger range of expressions than pure slang words, let me say I was pretty much surprised when I first discovered that both lenses and cameras are usually designated with the pronoun "she". May that be because the majority of MFL owners are male? That sounds a bit like in car subculture which is a pretty dominantly male one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

femal names frequently also used for boats, not only cars, but neither our boats or cars have female names. Our successive Citroên deuxchavaux were called "snile " meaning snail and "somle" meaning dawdle. while the green Renault that followed was "grønne gorilla" (=green gorilla) the boats have similarly peculiar names-

p

ëdeuxcjevaux

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was screwing old Zeissie for a while on, but she was too generic and boring ..
so i exchanged her for an unpredictable crazy Sunny with her 44 size ..

"she.."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. built like a tank ..

Last edited by alex_d on Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
ChatGPT:

Q: Sonnar 1.5/5cm
ChatGPT wrote:
The Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 5cm 1.5 is a 50mm lens with a maximum aperture of f/1.5. It is a Contax RF mount lens with a minimum focus distance of 0.9 mm and a filter size of 40.5mm"

S

The sonnar is/was a Bertle design from 1932 ... but for ChatGPT it's so 20th century!! LoL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Traveling Wiburys song "Cool Dry Place" reflects the issues musicians with GAS may encounter.