Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is the best 25mm or 28mm manual lens for landscapes?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: What is the best 25mm or 28mm manual lens for landscapes? Reply with quote

I was wondering what 25mm or 28mm lenses you would recommend for landscape shots? I am looking for a lens that's sharp but that also has a bit of character. I recently came across the Carl Zeiss Contarex Distagon 25mm f/2.8, which I like. Another lens that seems interesting is the Olympus Zuiko 28mm f3.5. So with sharpness and character considerations in mind, what is your recommendation?

Thanks,

-Charles

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the Minolta 24 F2.8. I have the 55mm filter thread Rokkor-x and Like it a lot.....

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatorengineer64 wrote:
What about the Minolta 24 F2.8. I have the 55mm filter thread Rokkor-x and Like it a lot.....

Interesting. I shall do more research on it! Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best 25mm or 28mm manual lens for landscapes Reply with quote

charley5 wrote:
I was wondering what 25mm or 28mm lenses you would recommend for landscape shots? I am looking for a lens that's sharp but that also has a bit of character.

Discussing portrait lenses in the 75mm to 105mm range results in a wide range of lenses with extremely different properties. Images taken with the bubble-bokeh Triotar are completely different from those taken with a 2/100mm STF (Smooth Trans Focus) lens. The FD 1.2/85mm and the Biotar 1.5/75mm are easily distinguishable as well. You have soft focus lenses, extremely fast lenses such as the 1.4/105mm Nikkor, and macro lenses.

In a obvious contrast to the variety of portrait lenses, the vintage 28mm lenses are pretty "boring". Of course there are differences in quality, mainly visible in the corners and occasionnaly at the edges - but generally speaking the differences between the different 28mm lenses are much smaller than with the portrait lenses. I litteraly have tested dozens of 28mm, 25mm and 24mm lenses for landscape use. Most of them are pretty similar, espcially the 28mm lenses: They were "budget" and "bread-and-butter"-lenses for any manufacturer including Zeiss and Nikon, and had to be reasonably priced.

Among those lenses I've worked with myself, the Zeiss Apo Distagon 1.4/28mm ("Otus") would probably come closest to your dreams: Slightly lower contrast wide open, no disturbing CAs, yet lots of detail. And all this of course coupled with a shallow depth-of-field at f1.4 (eg for reportage). Stopped down to f2.8-f4 it's incredibly sharp and "technical". Yet the lens was too heavy for me ... and too big.

Another possibilty to combine "sharpness" and "character" are the vintage f2 lenses. I know and own the Canon FD 2/28, the nFD 2/28, the Minolta MC-X and MD-II as well as the MD-III and AF 2/28, the Kiron 2/28, the Cosinon 2/28, the Nikkor AiS 2/24 and the Vivitar (Kiron) 2/24mm. All these lenses are more or less "unsharp" wide open. Their character is varying - the Nikkor 2/24mm being one of the "worst", the Minolta MD-III / AF being the "best". However it depends, of course, on your intentions - the Nikkor may well be better suited for your specific needs han the Minolta, or vice versa.

Lenses such as the Minolta MD-III have the advatage that they are "low contrast" wide open, yet have lots of detail and little CAs, and are pretty sharp at f5.6 or f8 (better than most f2.8 lenses).

The vintage manual focus 2.8/28mm lenses of the OEM manufacturers are all pretty similar, and you basically can take / use what you have (or find easily). In the 24mm range the Minolta MD-III is the best I know; nearly as good are the AiS 2.8/24mm and the Zeiss CY 2.8/25mm. I wouldn't call these lenses "character lenses", though ...

S

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two lenses worth highlighting: Contax Distagon 28mm f2 and Nikon 28mm f1.4D. I have and enjoy using them on FF as well as GFX. Wide open they are sharp enough to me with nice character, and still prefer them than 7artisans 28mm f1.4.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMC Pentax K 28mm f3.5
Simply wonderful.
Reviews here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/smc-pentax-k-28mm-f3-5-t75775.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-28mm-F3.5-Lens.html

Tom

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl Zeiss Contarex Distagon 25mm f/2.8 is a bit expensive to me. I will prefer the Contax/Rollei version which has the same optics with better coating.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landscapes?

Don't look further than the Pentax-K 28mm f3.5.

That one is the classic. Unique "pop" and contrast, even in dull light.

A bit hard to find, though. That's because people tend to not sell it Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
SMC Pentax K 28mm f3.5
Simply wonderful.Tom

I second that. Tuzki with lens

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if you really want to splurge the SMC Pentax 28mm F2 (not Pentax-m) It is called the Hollywood and is the same design as the Contax Zeiss Distagon 28mm F2 (also nicknamed Hollywood).

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like Minolta MD III 28 2,8 5/5 and Canon FD 28 2,8. If weight is less an issue Minolta MD 28 2,5. Rendering is excellent but you need to close at least F4,5 or F5,6 for even sharpness.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing what I do about Pentax lenses -- but in this case with no direct experience -- I'm inclined to believe everything OldHand reports with regards to his choice.

And here are a few of mine:

Nikon 28mm f/3.5 -- a lens that gets little respect, yet is an impressively sharp optic. The one I own is a Pre-AI model that was converted to AI by Nikon.

Tamron 24mm f/;2.5 -- excellent corner to corner sharpness. Great contrest.

Canon FD 24mm f/28 -- basically tied in a dead heat with the Tamron, except for coatings. I think the Canon's coatings are just a bit better. Both the Tamron and Canon outscore the Nikon AIs 24mm f/2.8 I own.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best 25mm or 28mm manual lens for landscapes Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
charley5 wrote:
I was wondering what 25mm or 28mm lenses you would recommend for landscape shots? I am looking for a lens that's sharp but that also has a bit of character.

Discussing portrait lenses in the 75mm to 105mm range results in a wide range of lenses with extremely different properties. Images taken with the bubble-bokeh Triotar are completely different from those taken with a 2/100mm STF (Smooth Trans Focus) lens. The FD 1.2/85mm and the Biotar 1.5/75mm are easily distinguishable as well. You have soft focus lenses, extremely fast lenses such as the 1.4/105mm Nikkor, and macro lenses.

In a obvious contrast to the variety of portrait lenses, the vintage 28mm lenses are pretty "boring". Of course there are differences in quality, mainly visible in the corners and occasionnaly at the edges - but generally speaking the differences between the different 28mm lenses are much smaller than with the portrait lenses. I litteraly have tested dozens of 28mm, 25mm and 24mm lenses for landscape use. Most of them are pretty similar, espcially the 28mm lenses: They were "budget" and "bread-and-butter"-lenses for any manufacturer including Zeiss and Nikon, and had to be reasonably priced.

Among those lenses I've worked with myself, the Zeiss Apo Distagon 1.4/28mm ("Otus") would probably come closest to your dreams: Slightly lower contrast wide open, no disturbing CAs, yet lots of detail. And all this of course coupled with a shallow depth-of-field at f1.4 (eg for reportage). Stopped down to f2.8-f4 it's incredibly sharp and "technical". Yet the lens was too heavy for me ... and too big.

Another possibilty to combine "sharpness" and "character" are the vintage f2 lenses. I know and own the Canon FD 2/28, the nFD 2/28, the Minolta MC-X and MD-II as well as the MD-III and AF 2/28, the Kiron 2/28, the Cosinon 2/28, the Nikkor AiS 2/24 and the Vivitar (Kiron) 2/24mm. All these lenses are more or less "unsharp" wide open. Their character is varying - the Nikkor 2/24mm being one of the "worst", the Minolta MD-III / AF being the "best". However it depends, of course, on your intentions - the Nikkor may well be better suited for your specific needs han the Minolta, or vice versa.

Lenses such as the Minolta MD-III have the advatage that they are "low contrast" wide open, yet have lots of detail and little CAs, and are pretty sharp at f5.6 or f8 (better than most f2.8 lenses).

The vintage manual focus 2.8/28mm lenses of the OEM manufacturers are all pretty similar, and you basically can take / use what you have (or find easily). In the 24mm range the Minolta MD-III is the best I know; nearly as good are the AiS 2.8/24mm and the Zeiss CY 2.8/25mm. I wouldn't call these lenses "character lenses", though ...

S

Steve, thank you so much for this informative post. I have the 55mm Otus and I also find it too heavy as a carry-everywhere lens. So the 28mm Otus, aside from the huge expense, was not really a consideration. The Minolta MD-III seems to be worthwhile to research further and that is what I shall do. I wanted to avoid buying oodles of lenses at this focal length, which I did for portrait lenses, which is why I posted this topic.

-Charles

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humbleglory wrote:
There are two lenses worth highlighting: Contax Distagon 28mm f2 and Nikon 28mm f1.4D. I have and enjoy using them on FF as well as GFX. Wide open they are sharp enough to me with nice character, and still prefer them than 7artisans 28mm f1.4.

Excellent. I shall definitely look into both. I mentioned the 25mm f2.8 Carl Zeiss Contarex Distagon, and I wonder how it compares to the Contax Distagon 28mm f2?

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommand the Canon FD 24mm F/2.8 S.S.C. too. It performs excellent on APS-C and very good on FF. The price speaks for itself. Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
SMC Pentax K 28mm f3.5
Simply wonderful.
Reviews here:

Tom

Tom, thank you for your recommendation. I don't know much about Pentax lenses. Does the "K" signify the mount? Is it different than the Pentax M 28mm f3.5?

-Charles

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Carl Zeiss Contarex Distagon 25mm f/2.8 is a bit expensive to me. I will prefer the Contax/Rollei version which has the same optics with better coating.

Thanks, Calvin. I'll look into that!

-Charles

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasenbein wrote:
Landscapes?

Don't look further than the Pentax-K 28mm f3.5.

That one is the classic. Unique "pop" and contrast, even in dull light.

A bit hard to find, though. That's because people tend to not sell it Smile

Thanks. I found a couple on EBay. It seems to be the front runner for me now.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Or if you really want to splurge the SMC Pentax 28mm F2 (not Pentax-m) It is called the Hollywood and is the same design as the Contax Zeiss Distagon 28mm F2 (also nicknamed Hollywood).

I really like the results from this lens. Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
I do like Minolta MD III 28 2,8 5/5 and Canon FD 28 2,8. If weight is less an issue Minolta MD 28 2,5. Rendering is excellent but you need to close at least F4,5 or F5,6 for even sharpness.

Thank you. I shall definitely look into the latter!

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Knowing what I do about Pentax lenses -- but in this case with no direct experience -- I'm inclined to believe everything OldHand reports with regards to his choice.

And here are a few of mine:

Nikon 28mm f/3.5 -- a lens that gets little respect, yet is an impressively sharp optic. The one I own is a Pre-AI model that was converted to AI by Nikon.

Canon FD 24mm f/28 -- basically tied in a dead heat with the Tamron, except for coatings. I think the Canon's coatings are just a bit better. Both the Tamron and Canon outscore the Nikon AIs 24mm f/2.8 I own.

Thank you. You have given me some homework to do now!

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I would recommand the Canon FD 24mm F/2.8 S.S.C. too. It performs excellent on APS-C and very good on FF. The price speaks for itself. Wink

Thanks. I shall look into this one too!

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charley5 wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
SMC Pentax K 28mm f3.5
Simply wonderful.
Reviews here:

Tom

Tom, thank you for your recommendation. I don't know much about Pentax lenses. Does the "K" signify the mount? Is it different than the Pentax M 28mm f3.5?

-Charles

It’s different from the M version. It’s the first series of Pentax bajonet lenses. It should say SMC Pentax, without the ‘M’. And yes, this is a brilliant lens.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Agree.

cooltouch wrote:

Usually I agree with and rely upon what you say, but this time ... not really Wink.

I may add some data tomorrow - if the weather conditions allow testing.

S

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the A.I.S. version of the Nikkor 28mm f3.5.

I can get away with a lot with it- shooting into the sun, etc.
I hesitate a bit on this one for general landscapes.
If you know how to look for slight curvature, you'll find it with this lens,
especially over water bodies and bridges.

I have yet to try a 35mm lens. There is no real imperative for me to do so.
If I can't get it done with one of my 50's, I should pack up and go home.
Fortunately, I mostly get by Wink

-D.S.