Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Brixellum 2008, part two: the military camp
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Brixellum 2008, part two: the military camp Reply with quote

Here's the second part:

www.oriofoto.net/temp/BRIXELLUM_2008_2_CASTRUM/index.html

the other parts will follow in the next days

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, your gallery has PicLens! Do part 6, next. Laughing Kidding. No I'm not. Laughing

Really like some of the building/walkway shots in the "Arrival"!

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Cool, your gallery has PicLens!

Sh**. Really it does? I hate it. I have removed it from my computer. How could it be there?

How do I remove it?

P.S. Control your hormones, part 6 will arrive in 6th position Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

Really like some of the building/walkway shots in the "Arrival"!
Bill

Thanks, that arch way shot surprised me also, you know why? Because a zoom took it! The Vario Sonnar 35/70. That is a kind of shot I would normally never commit to a zoom lens. But I was moving to the camp and had no time to stop and change lens, so I took it with the zoom - and look at the left side, almost perfect geometrical alignment. Incredible. SHould I take this picture with my Sigma zoom, the wall would become the hull of a ship Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vario Sonnar 35/70 isn't just any zoom, now is it? Laughing The one shot
just looking at the group when you open the page, lower right corner,
superb! A real eye-grabber...

'Aven't the fookinest idear how you would remove PicLens. I thought you
liked it at first blush...but I can see how the novelty would wear off.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb series, very good reportage with helpful legend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

'Aven't the fookinest idear how you would remove PicLens. I thought you
liked it at first blush...but I can see how the novelty would wear off.

The problem is that my Jalbum scheme uses a tiny icon and the Piclens icon covers it all so it's impossible not to click it - and it prevents the loading of the second page Mad

Piclens could also be there but then I would need to find a way to edit the Jalbum preset.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
superb series, very good reportage with helpful legend

Thanks poilu, you deserve recognition because you have converted me to the Vario-Sonnar on the road to Damask (I hope spelling is correct) Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that 1.4 35mm you have so much control to direct the viewers eye, I feel like a magnet is drawing me to the subject I have to force my swelf to look at the rest of the image.
However the OOF on his one bokeh seem a little unusual above the sheilds on the left I prefer it with out the distracting left 3rd http://www.oriofoto.net/temp/BRIXELLUM_2008_2_CASTRUM/slides/BRIX08_B_40.html

I like the way you have a wide shot of the whole scene to give me an idea of the scene like an introduction. I like this story like sequence to your series I may borrow it in the future Smile But the first shots with the VS have some vignetting? I am surprised, that you didn't crop for this, and I am also surprised that a 35mm lens has dark corners, was there a filter or lens hood?

Any way I am nit picking out of interest! Great set cant wait to see the rest.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated the pages, to fix those where the text was not centred.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
I really like that 1.4 35mm you have so much control to direct the viewers eye, I feel like a magnet is drawing me to the subject I have to force my swelf to look at the rest of the image.
However the OOF on his one bokeh seem a little unusual above the sheilds on the left I prefer it with out the distracting left 3rd http://www.oriofoto.net/temp/BRIXELLUM_2008_2_CASTRUM/slides/BRIX08_B_40.html

Yes, it's a strong bokeh that of the 1.4/35 at wide open. Very Happy Someone likes it someone doesn't. I actually like it but I understand that it can easily be not to someone's liking, as it certainly not a smooth one Wink
Poilu thinks there might be something wrong with the lens. I don't know, it's possible, but it's so tack sharp wide open that I doubt there is some optical problem to it (I think sharpness would suffer first, if there was).
I think that the very bright day (the sunlight was so strong that even the grass and leaves acted like reflectors) has accentuated much what is a natural characteristic of the lens.

Quote:
I like the way you have a wide shot of the whole scene to give me an idea of the scene like an introduction. I like this story like sequence to your series I may borrow it in the future Smile

Yes, I like to build a series like a film or a novel. In cinema this is called environment shot (I translate from Italian). It serves to describe a place in total so the next picture can be identified easier. Very Happy
I also made a typical movie montage in images 54 to 58: first an american plan, then a total, then another total but on main subject only with 45° angle change, then another total from same angle of subject and audience to re-establish spacial coordinates, finally another american plan to move to next argument.
I made cinema courses in the University, now I put it to use Wink

Quote:
But the first shots with the VS have some vignetting? I am surprised, that you didn't crop for this, and I am also surprised that a 35mm lens has dark corners, was there a filter or lens hood?

I was idiot enough to put a hood on the zoom without checking it at different focal lenghts Sad
And I made a similar mistake with the 1.4/35, because it has a floating element and the framing when focused to infinity is not the same as when focused near. At infinity the damned lens hood showed again (although only in little portion compared to the zoom lens)

hacksawbob wrote:
Any way I am nit picking out of interest! Great set cant wait to see the rest.

Thanks Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
environment shot
I looked it up in english I appears to be called an establishing shot.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
Quote:
environment shot
I looked it up in english I appears to be called an establishing shot.

Yes, now I remember to have read it in English that way. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One mistake I made, I did not take the establishing shot of the main piazza at the beginning of the series. It would have been important.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely suite of pictures, Orio. It's certainly the time of year for the historical societies to get their kit out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been fascinated by ancient Rome, so these were a pleasure to look at.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These (and part 3 also) were very interesting to look at, orio - thanks for posting them! I also sent the links to some other people interested in roman and celtic things, i hope that is okay (google will find your posting anyway).

I was pleased to see that the roman armour and weapons were correct for the period (mostly, except for the folks in lorica which is a later development). It was also great to see stalls, craftwork etc. The celtic dress, armour and weapons were also correct for (mid La Tene) period.

I'm not sure that double layer chain mail over the shoulders was a roman innovation, its certainly seen in later period (gallic war, ie 50s BC) gaulish cavalry.

Wish I had been there! Although I would have been bursting to ask questions and unable to Confused

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris, glad you like and of course no problem to share link!
About the armours, this event is a free meeting and of course although most groups are very careful to the historical precision, people might join with not so precise equipment.
About the double protection, I am no expert at all, I just reported what the guy said, that is, that Celts invented the chain vest, then Romans saw it and copied it adding it to the boiled wool protection, and that they added the double layer because the way the helmets were made, hits on the helmet would "slip" easily on that shoulder part and even if they would not cut, they would break bone without a double protection. But of course I have no gaurantee that what this guy said, is the truth!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Thanks Chris, glad you like and of course no problem to share link!
About the armours, this event is a free meeting and of course although most groups are very careful to the historical precision, people might join with not so precise equipment.
About the double protection, I am no expert at all, I just reported what the guy said, that is, that Celts invented the chain vest, then Romans saw it and copied it adding it to the boiled wool protection, and that they added the double layer because the way the helmets were made, hits on the helmet would "slip" easily on that shoulder part and even if they would not cut, they would break bone without a double protection. But of course I have no gaurantee that what this guy said, is the truth!

The lorica segmentata (plate armour made from strips) is only in the parade.

I think what the guy said is mostly correct, could be completely correct if the Celts then copied back the shoulder modification. I am less familiar with the 400s BC than 50 BC-300 AD.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great series, with the helmet on a post being a particular favourite.

The only problem with looking at your posts at the moment is I keep getting distracted by your current avatar Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
It's a great series, with the helmet on a post being a particular favourite.
The only problem with looking at your posts at the moment is I keep getting distracted by your current avatar Embarassed

Thanks Richard.
The avatar is having a huge success, but the actual photo will be a letdown I'm afraid, because I missed the focus Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent series! Thank you very much for this pleasurable picture show.