Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Houston, the P6 has landed...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Houston, the P6 has landed... Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations - that's some beast!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!
One of the cameras in my wish list...
Congratulations!!

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not overmuch of a handful - even with the MIR 38B on it, it's quite useable. Got a solid feel about it. I thought I'd bust it, first time I cocked it and fired the shutter. Wound on and everything jammed. Sad
Turned out all I'd done was not wind on the full stroke; so that's something to remember.
That big mirror makes the whole thing shake; I'll have to take that into account. Peering inside, it looks as if the light seals are all ok, so I'll go out and score some film tomorrow. I noticed right away the ground glass finder isn't all that good for accurate focusing and the peering lens really makes a difference. Not a camera for quick P&S, that's for sure. Luckily, the distance markings on the MIR seem to tally well with actual distances on this, so DOF will probably end up being quite important for rescuing shots.

Jes; I'm just about to do a shutter speed test using Rick Oleson's method, so it'll be interesting to see how it works.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P6 was my first cam I loved much.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Dave:

If you want to minimise the mirror vibes, use the self-timer as it allows the mirror to come to rest before the shutter fires.

Always wind on and cock the shutter before using the self-timer though.

There's a magnifier finder too for the beast that really makes a difference to focusing if you don't want to go to the trouble or expense of fitting a Rollei screen.

It's known as the "Lupeneinsatz".

For reliable frame spacing, I've got a loading guide I knocked together based on the instructions found on this site: http://www.pentaconsix.com/ that I can send you - I rewrote them to fit on 6x4 paper so they can fit in the gadget bag.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
@ Dave:

If you want to minimise the mirror vibes, use the self-timer as it allows the mirror to come to rest before the shutter fires.

Always wind on and cock the shutter before using the self-timer though.

There's a magnifier finder too for the beast that really makes a difference to focusing if you don't want to go to the trouble or expense of fitting a Rollei screen.

It's known as the "Lupeneinsatz".

For reliable frame spacing, I've got a loading guide I knocked together based on the instructions found on this site: http://www.pentaconsix.com/ that I can send you - I rewrote them to fit on 6x4 paper so they can fit in the gadget bag.

Noted all of the above, ta. It came with two sportsfinders with magnifying lenses included, which does make a difference.
Is the magnifying finder you mention another type?
I will be on the lookout for a prism finder for it sooner or later; I think the Kiev is supposed to be superior to the P6 one, but isn't quite a straight fit.
Yes, please forward the instruction, they'd be handy. I came across the P6 site when I was first looking for one of these.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Dave: The magnifier finder is known as "Lupeneinsatz" - I've got one for my P6 so I can post a pic of it if you don't see one before then.

Re the prism finder, some reckon it's a bit dark and it doesn't provide a 100% view - IMO it's not bad, but you can do better with the Kiev one which also has a meter. The Kiev one needs an adapter to fit the camera which you can get from Rolf Dieter Baier in Germany.

There is a meter prism for the P6 but it suffers from the same restricted view as the unmetered prism.

If you PM me your email addy, I'll send you the instructions.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Bob
Yep, I see it now Click here to see on Ebay, it's a dedicated mag finder.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy that one Dave - that's for a VLC 35mm camera.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Don't buy that one Dave - that's for a VLC 35mm camera.

I know Smile
That was just an example of type. I don't see that doing much more than the supplied VF with magnifier flip-up lens, which seems quite effective anyway.
The Kiev prisms are quite cheap and the Kiev->P6 adapter from Baier is about 67€, although I might just stick with the standard P6 prism for cheapness. I'm not too interested in built-in metering on this cam, a hand meter will do fine for the situations I envisage using it in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might struggle to see the image in the WLF in bright sunshine (Hah!) - the lupeneinsatz, along with a greater magnification, neatly sidesteps that issue, should it exist for you.

Not that I'm trying to sell you one that is.... Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I went to load in some film and discovered I don't have an empty spool. Rummaging around revealed nothing; not surprising, as the last time I recall having one was years ago. Rolling Eyes
I'll phone up the processing lab I was intending to send the film to and see if they'll send me a couple. Buggre.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than take-up spool issues, the cam looks to be in great shape!
Hope to see you grinning from ear to ear with some pics! Smile

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Other than take-up spool issues, the cam looks to be in great shape!
Hope to see you grinning from ear to ear with some pics! Smile

It's nice just winding it on and feeling precision metal parts work in unison. Compared to 35mm cams, this is more like a battle tank versus a Renault 5.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have one (P6 TL)! I enjoy using it and have a nice collection of CZJ MC glass - 50/4, 80/2.8, 120/2.8, 180/2.8 and 300/4.

Some images with MC Sonnar 180/2.8 (LOVE the sonnar bokeh)

One with MC 50/4 Flektogon:

Edit: Hmm...When I previewed my post, linked images worked, but not when I submit. What am I doing wrong?

Here are the links:

Sonnar:
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/amaksimchuk/6X6/2315079181_b382caf6c8_o.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/amaksimchuk/6X6/2315079531_035802409a_o.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/amaksimchuk/6X6/2315887760_93507aebc5_o.jpg

Flektogon:
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/amaksimchuk/tree1.jpg

-Alex

Last edited by amaksimchuk on Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi, I have one (P6 TL)! I enjoy using it and have a nice collection of CZJ MC glass - 50/4, 80/2.8, 120/2.8, 180/2.8 and 300/4.

Some images with MC Sonnar 180/2.8 (LOVE the sonnar bokeh)

One with MC 50/4 Flektogon:

-Alex

Nice to see you here ! Seems we have common interest I am also CZJ fan Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Oh, I do love a good snipe... Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay
A bit more than I really wanted to pay, but the price of these has been rising and I thought I'd better get one now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! This is an important piece and not coming on every day.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just going to get a bare prism, but decided to go a bit extra for the TTL - I'll also get a fresnel screen to brighten it up a bit.
I had a look at using the Kiev TTL, but the adapter needed is 70eu on its own.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome Alex
I like a lot your b&w pic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 and #3 are impressive!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Dave !

I have the same feeling while handling this camera : some parts are strong enough to kill a mammoth (lens mount) and some other are frightening (winder lever & the noise it makes)... Also, using the timer doesn't up the mirror first.

Using the pentaconsix.com film loading method and the baierfoto.de winding hint, I've did a test with a dead 120 film to see if the film transport was dead or not, and so far I haven't overlapped any frame. I've also tested speeds using my DSLR and couldn't find significant problem.

Now the first film I've loaded (Tri-X 320) will ends soon, can't wait to see the results !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alek, I like all your colour photos.
What happened to the black and white photo? It looks heavily post-processed. Like, blurred with a Gaussian filter or even equalized differently at different luminance sections.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
Congrats Dave !

I have the same feeling while handling this camera : some parts are strong enough to kill a mammoth (lens mount) and some other are frightening (winder lever & the noise it makes)... Also, using the timer doesn't up the mirror first.

It has its idiosyncrasies, that's for sure. I rather like it, and will carry on using it alongside the Mamiya.

Quote:

Using the pentaconsix.com film loading method and the baierfoto.de winding hint, I've did a test with a dead 120 film to see if the film transport was dead or not, and so far I haven't overlapped any frame. I've also tested speeds using my DSLR and couldn't find significant problem.

I suspect mine had been CLA'd relatively recently, or given a going over by someone who knew what they were doing with them - there are no spacing issues and it's silky smooth in operation. If you follow the baierfoto wind on method, be careful to not wind on past the point without releasing the shutter button - the shutter locks up Twisted Evil ... but if you push forward the small toothed lever underneath the wind-on crank it releases it. I found this out the hard way. Idea